sensation/emotion

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:46 am
Do our religious and/or our scientific (and philosophic!) thoughts obscure the raw experience of sensation and emotion? Do we live so much in abstractions that we miss the irreducible richness here?

As far as I can tell, sensation just is. Emotion just is. To call it matter or brain chemistry has its uses but does not change what it is.

Lacan has this concept of the Real which resists symbolization. Is this connected? "Qualia" is not my favorite term, but it applies to some degree.

When we lay in bed after hard work, there is a pleasure that just is. And that's life. And we bathe in hot water when we are dirty, that's raw experience. Are our senses dulled? Do we shrink our hearts by focusing so much on abstractions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 674 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:52 am
@Reconstructo,
Take this as a meta-comment.

I think it is time you had some skin in the game, so to speak, and I don't know if you really do. I think so long as the Philosophy Forum exists for you as a kind of parallel universe, none of this is really going to gel. It needs to be tempered by various kinds of inconvenient truth. In all likelihood this will turn up as an unpleasant fact about life, something you really don't want to deal with. It is not until this happens that you really know if you have learned something from all this. Then you will have some skin in the game.
xris

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 04:35 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;174564 wrote:
Do our religious and/or our scientific (and philosophic!) thoughts obscure the raw experience of sensation and emotion? Do we live so much in abstractions that we miss the irreducible richness here?

As far as I can tell, sensation just is. Emotion just is. To call it matter or brain chemistry has its uses but does not change what it is.

Lacan has this concept of the Real which resists symbolization. Is this connected? "Qualia" is not my favorite term, but it applies to some degree.

When we lay in bed after hard work, there is a pleasure that just is. And that's life. And we bathe in hot water when we are dirty, that's raw experience. Are our senses dulled? Do we shrink our hearts by focusing so much on abstractions?
Ive just done a crap job in the pouring rain, I smell of dirt and wet clothes, I'm drinking a hot cup of coffee. All these are so satisfying when viewed with what could be. Life is never so sad as when confronted with the inability to perform the most arduous of tasks.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 04:03 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;174567 wrote:
Take this as a meta-comment.

I think it is time you had some skin in the game, so to speak, and I don't know if you really do. I think so long as the Philosophy Forum exists for you as a kind of parallel universe, none of this is really going to gel. It needs to be tempered by various kinds of inconvenient truth. In all likelihood this will turn up as an unpleasant fact about life, something you really don't want to deal with. It is not until this happens that you really know if you have learned something from all this. Then you will have some skin in the game.

What a strange comment! Yes, it's ironic to write/conceptualize about sensation/emotion, but I also get laid, eat, sh*t, walk at least a mile a day, have great friends. So I don't get all this skin-in-the-game stuff. I'm quite surprised by this response. As far as parallel universe, that too is strange. I seek out good conversation instead of watching TV. I just don't see where you are coming from.

---------- Post added 06-08-2010 at 05:10 PM ----------

A few more thoughts, as I am trying to understand your motives here. Skin in the game? We all have skin in the game. We are all mortal. All of us have love for other humans who are also mortal. Are you suggesting that I commit to some spiritual abstraction? Are you suggesting that I increase my income? The second appeals to me more. I know we have significantly different backgrounds. Damn, J, if you meant well, then thanks for the good intention, but are you sure you're not projecting a personal issue my way?

---------- Post added 06-08-2010 at 05:36 PM ----------

I've got to say, J, when I re-read your comment I see all sorts of openings for smart-a** replies, but I'm not going to do that. Still, I will point out that you are playing Freud here and the wise old man there. That's fine but if you're intentions were better I don't think you have made such a show of all this. And now you are also playing a prophet of doom and suffering? Are you with Al Gore now in the Those Who Know club? What's going to gel? The wisdom you are imparting with such tactlessness?

I've been trying to point out certain irreducibles in human experience, as this is non-mystical way to underline the value of life. This was even largely inspired by a Buddha anecdote that you supplied. I don't see why you couldn't join this thread in the usual way rather than with this "meta-comment." Is that a euphemism for condescension ?

Alright, I've said what seemed right to say. No hard feelings.Smile
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 06:04 pm
@Reconstructo,
The expression means 'having a real stake in the outcome'. It is all well and good to play with ideas - up to a point. But past that point, I don't know if any purpose will be served, and at the moment, I don't think I can see an outcome.

So what are you on about? Who will this help, and which kind of views will it correct?
0 Replies