Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:52 am
What is "self"? What is it to be "I"? Or "you"?

Is the self a nothingness at the core, a transcendental ego? Is the self an illusion, tangled in a not-self that is also self? Is the self just the limit of the world?

Is the self just an object of consciousness, and therefore not self? Is the self consciousness? What is consciousness? Is the self memory?

Is the self a network of beliefs and desires? Are the self and the world one? Is the self god? Is the self a bluff? Is the self the sales-pitch of hungry apes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,074 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 07:36 am
@Reconstructo,
The self is no thing in itself, and is everything in context...To say what I am says nothing of all egos... In fact, while we, our egos see life as all, it is not, but is temporary... From the perspective of society, or if you will, family, or if you prefere: Community; the individual is dream and promise... Our lives in this moment is what all our ancestors gave their lives trying to make certain... To us life is everything... Since we cannot bank it, it is nothing... The only way we have to make life meaningful is to make it better, and pass it on...If we try to keep our lives we lose them regardless...If we share the life we got from others with children, our lives, and the lives of all who came before are preserved...It is all uncertain, but what makes life as certain as it can possibly be requires morality...It is immorality that accounts for all the evils people face...And the first thing an immoral people gives up is children so they can enjoy one more party...What even the moral people recognize is that children, and all life is at risk in an immoral society... Why should anyone care, and why should anyone reverence life if it is all for nothing; and it is because it is the want of morals that kills people and societies...

So; to answer the question; the self is all to the self, but is only a part to the all; but to conceive of the self as everywhere the all destroys the environment in which the self was nurtured...The self is a moral form, but the self as we have him, complete with the protection of law and the defense of philosophy is a myth...The self out of perspective is a form of blindness...
sometime sun

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:04 pm
@Fido,
Quick answer;
To have and to hold, and to be held.

Some might take this a step further and say beholden, i would not.
but might agree it is also to recognise you have nothing in your grasp at all.
longknowledge

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 03:35 am
@sometime sun,
According to Ortega y Gasset, the "self" or the "I" is one part of the "Radical Reality that is "My Life." The other part is "My Circumstance." Both parts form what he calls a "radical unitary-duality" that implies a "plurality of realities" or "human lives."

"My Circumstance" consists of "things" or phenomena that "happen" or "occur" to "My Self" or "I" within the "Radical Reality" of "My Life." This includes so-called "physical" phenomena, such as sensations, as well as so-called "mental" phenomena, such as ideas, feelings, memories, dreams, and in "certain circumstances," if your lucky, hallucinations, and even so-called "spiritual" phenomena, such as astral travel, ecstatic trances, etc.

Of course, just as "My Circumstance" can "happen" or "occur" to "My Self" or "Me," "I" can happen to "My Circumstance." At an early age, I learn that I can control "My Circumstance" by controlling "My Body." This can take the form of the movement of my torso and limbs, or in the form of the movement of our lungs, larynx and mouth that we call "talking."

"Self" and "Circumstance" are the two interacting components of "My Life."

:flowers:
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 08:43 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113977 wrote:
What is "self"? What is it to be "I"? Or "you"?

Is the self a nothingness at the core, a transcendental ego? Is the self an illusion, tangled in a not-self that is also self? Is the self just the limit of the world?

Is the self just an object of consciousness, and therefore not self? Is the self consciousness? What is consciousness? Is the self memory?

Is the self a network of beliefs and desires? Are the self and the world one? Is the self god? Is the self a bluff? Is the self the sales-pitch of hungry apes?
No, the world isn't flat, there has emerged new concepts such as psycology, go study psycology plz, stop speaking of flat earths.

Thanks.
0 Replies