How to Well Define "Mind"?

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:39 pm
It's very useful to imagine every act, including philosophy, as the work of a mind, but how best can you define mind? What precisely should distinguish an intelligent thing from a mindless one?

I'm fond of a distinction lifted from cybernetics: negative feedback loop with amplification. A thermostat is a simple example. I think this is a fundamental distinction, between a thing that's passive and a thing that preserves another thing, possibly itself.

I don't think we should reserve the word 'mind' for only human-like minds when artifacts little more complex than a thermostat can show ample intelligence and be immensely useful.

What do you think? Am I abusing the word? Too broad? Are there better terms for this distinction?

I go on at length about this, including a taxonomy of mind, in a book I'm writing. The whole text of it is in Flash and PDF at
Mind Making
Comments on any part of the book are welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,101 • Replies: 19
No top replies

mindbender phil

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 03:29 pm
@Patrick Roberts phil,
A mind (to my mind) is a Pandora's Box; a cornucopia of elements made up from an individual's instinct, experiences, personality, aspirations and outside influences, operating both independently of, and at the same time completely dependant on, it's physical host. A mind is the physical manifestation of what some would call the 'soul', each being unique and also somewhat the same. It could also be said that a 'mind' is the engine that drives the evolutionary train, in that the mind is the first to face any need for evolutionary adaptation and to formulate the way forward through instinctual reaction to, and the physical reaction required to cope with such changes, as decided by 'the mind'.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:42 pm
@Patrick Roberts phil,
... are you familiar with second-order cybernetics? (Second-order cybernetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) ... it seems to be somewhat more "mind"-ful than a simple thermostat Smile ...
xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 06:14 am
@paulhanke,
If it was possible to create a mind that could consider its own existence, it would still not be as questioning as ourselves. It would know its origin and only look on bemused at our futile attempts of making sense of our existence.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 06:27 am
@Patrick Roberts phil,
One might say, though, that a single definition of "mind" may not be possible or even desirable, and that how it is defined may vary to the point where "mind" ceases to be, strickly speaking, a simple object at all, but ends up a series of meanings dependent on the kind of question asked.
Patrick Roberts phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 12:40 pm
@jgweed,
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try to synthesize your ideas so far.

mindbender offered a list of experiences, which any theory of mind should explain using combinations of simpler and fewer ideas. I'll try to define them in terms of my pet model of sense->goal->means.

instinct: These seem to be goals given to our mind by our biology.
experiences: A mind's beliefs. Ex: temperature.
personality: What might this mean? Maybe part of a person's personality is that they're funny. Could this mean that they discovered that causing others to laugh is a means to their goals just as turning on the furnace is a means to raising the temperature?
aspirations: Conscious goals.
outside influences: A thermostat's certainly influenced by outside. You might a mean more lasting influence, which could easily be the case in a fancy thermostat or governor.

Does this seem to work? Or am I cheating somewhere?

paulhanke seemed to consider a thing capable of 2nd order cybernetic thinking to be more worthy of the word. I don't know anything about 2nd order cybernetics beyond the article you linked and what the name itself suggests. I guess it to mean a thing that doesn't merely model what you would consider to be outside its self, or its physical self, but its own thinking process - presumably like I'm doing with this post. I can understand wanting to limit 'mind' to that threshold, but to me, intuitively, it seems unfair to not use the word for a thing just shy of that standard, a thing that has beliefs, doubts them, has means, knows it has them, experiments with them, retries, communicates with other minds, has at least a coarse sense of itself and seeks to preserve that self, but just doesn't happen to be capable of 2nd order cybernetics-style reflection.

jgweed observed the usual challenges of language. Certainly the meaning of the sign 'mind' is contextual just as the meaning of anything depends on other things, at least in all but the most trivial minds. Still, it's nice to have well defined ideas, and then to attach them to an existing word that's semi-conscious associations fit it. I hope 'mind' fits my idea. Here, in the context of a philosophy forum, I'm going for the ultimate, most abstract, eternally useful sense of mind.

xris, can you, or anyone else, give a specific example of a question that human minds ask about their own existence but that a non-human couldn't? Ideally, a question that's answer would be useful.
xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 01:04 pm
@Patrick Roberts phil,
A non human entity, if invented by man, would or could be informed of its means and the purpose of its creation. It might ponder like us on our purpose and muse about our creator but its interest would not be personal . We have no such luxury, we appear to be here for no other reason than to experience consciousness and ponder on its purpose.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 01:19 pm
@xris,
xris;100855 wrote:
we appear to be here for no other reason than to experience consciousness and ponder on its purpose.

Hmmmm. That means I am doing lots of things that have nothing to do with my purpose in being here. Like eating and sleeping. Can it be that my purpose for existing is to ponder on my purpose for existing? Since we have the answer, why ponder?
Patrick Roberts phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
@xris,
xris;100855 wrote:
A non human entity, if invented by man, would or could be informed of its means and the purpose of its creation. It might ponder like us on our purpose and muse about our creator but its interest would not be personal . We have no such luxury, we appear to be here for no other reason than to experience consciousness and ponder on its purpose.

I assume you're implying that the non-human entity doesn't qualify as a 'mind' because it doesn't have a personal interest in knowing its purpose, or that this is at least a big distinction in mind.

What is the meaning and use of a mind asking "What is my purpose?" The only useful paraphrase I can think of for this question is "What acts will lead to sensations of pleasure?"

A mind, in my sense, only a few steps above a thermostat, is constantly implicitly asking by its actions, experiments and learning of associations - "What acts under what conditions will lead to some sensation?" That sounds like it covers the pleasure question in the previous paragraph.

So this personal-purpose-asking threshold for mind doesn't seem very high. It's a bit higher than a thermostat, but it still boils down to the process of discovering what acts lead to sensations that satisfy goals. Or have I glossed over something?
xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100860 wrote:
Hmmmm. That means I am doing lots of things that have nothing to do with my purpose in being here. Like eating and sleeping. Can it be that my purpose for existing is to ponder on my purpose for existing? Since we have the answer, why ponder?
If you have found the answer then im happy for you.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:07 pm
@xris,
xris;100881 wrote:
If you have found the answer then im happy for you.

But the answer was just given to us. The purpose of life is to ponder the purpose of life. Wasn't that it? I didn't find it. It was handed to me on a silver platter. I would never, in a million years, thought of it. I still find it hard to grasp. But that is only to be expected I suppose.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:12 pm
@Patrick Roberts phil,
Patrick Roberts;100872 wrote:
I assume you're implying that the non-human entity doesn't qualify as a 'mind' because it doesn't have a personal interest in knowing its purpose, or that this is at least a big distinction in mind.

What is the meaning and use of a mind asking "What is my purpose?" The only useful paraphrase I can think of for this question is "What acts will lead to sensations of pleasure?"

A mind, in my sense, only a few steps above a thermostat, is constantly implicitly asking by its actions, experiments and learning of associations - "What acts under what conditions will lead to some sensation?" That sounds like it covers the pleasure question in the previous paragraph.

So this personal-purpose-asking threshold for mind doesn't seem very high. It's a bit higher than a thermostat, but it still boils down to the process of discovering what acts lead to sensations that satisfy goals. Or have I glossed over something?
If you think that a thermostat with the ability to ponder would be happy with his lot regulating your shower temperature , what can i say. Now if it could be just a bit evil and turn the heat up too high, like my bleeding shower, then that would be pleasurable and appear purposeful. What is this with your attention to a mechanical contraption.

---------- Post added 10-31-2009 at 03:18 PM ----------

kennethamy;100882 wrote:
But the answer was just given to us. The purpose of life is to ponder the purpose of life. Wasn't that it? I didn't find it. It was handed to me on a silver platter. I would never, in a million years, thought of it. I still find it hard to grasp. But that is only to be expected I suppose.
Not exactly, we experience consciousness and ponder on our purpose, the purpose is not ponder but that is the result of not knowing our purpose.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:27 pm
@xris,
xris;100885 wrote:
If you think that a thermostat with the ability to ponder would be happy with his lot regulating your shower temperature , what can i say. Now if it could be just a bit evil and turn the heat up too high, like my bleeding shower, then that would be pleasurable and appear purposeful. What is this with your attention to a mechanical contraption.

---------- Post added 10-31-2009 at 03:18 PM ----------

Not exactly, we experience consciousness and ponder on our purpose, the purpose is not ponder but that is the result of not knowing our purpose.

Sorry. I was so excited at the prospect of finding out the purpose of life that I misread what you wrote. How do you know, though, that there is just one purpose? There may be a whole bunch of them. (And I might even ask how you know there are any at all).
xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;100894 wrote:
Sorry. I was so excited at the prospect of finding out the purpose of life that I misread what you wrote. How do you know, though, that there is just one purpose? There may be a whole bunch of them. (And I might even ask how you know there are any at all).
I assumed you would assume the ultimate purpose. I feel in my private life i have found my purpose or an insignificant reason why my nose runs on purpose without my consent. If you dont then whats the point in philosophy?
0 Replies

Patrick Roberts phil

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:44 pm
@xris,
Since there's probably a "what is the purpose of life" thread elsewhere, or you could start one, I'll try to steer this thread back to mind...

xris;100885 wrote:
What is this with your attention to a mechanical contraption.

If you're going to deny me my example of what mind essentially is, do you, or anyone here, have a better metaphor or analogy to replace it? You must be able to point to at least a few deep patterns in your mind's activity.
xris

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 02:57 pm
@Patrick Roberts phil,
Patrick Roberts;100900 wrote:
Since there's probably a "what is the purpose of life" thread elsewhere, or you could start one, I'll try to steer this thread back to mind...

If you're going to deny me my example of what mind essentially is, do you, or anyone here, have a better metaphor or analogy to replace it? You must be able to point to at least a few deep patterns in your mind's activity.
Deep patterns, i dont think i have any patterns. I consider the mind to speculate on my brains activities and ask it why it nags me. I speculate on my animal urges that my brain signals me to carry out. I cant say it resembles anything like the pleasure of regulating my bath water. I think im missing something here, it must be me, sorry.
paulhanke

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 10:14 pm
@Patrick Roberts phil,
Patrick Roberts;100849 wrote:
I guess it to mean a thing that doesn't merely model what you would consider to be outside its self, or its physical self, but its own thinking process - presumably like I'm doing with this post. I can understand wanting to limit 'mind' to that threshold, but to me, intuitively, it seems unfair to not use the word for a thing just shy of that standard, a thing that has beliefs, doubts them, has means, knows it has them, experiments with them, retries, communicates with other minds, has at least a coarse sense of itself and seeks to preserve that self, but just doesn't happen to be capable of 2nd order cybernetics-style reflection.

... if we take the cybernetics of thermal homeostasis as an aspect of being shared by both humans and thermostats, then the difference between the two is that the observer is part of the overall constitution of the system for the former ("I'm shivering - I'll catch my death! ...") whereas the observer is external to the system for the latter ("... I'd better turn the thermostat up!") ... assuming the observer is also a cybernetic system, then observer + being is a second-order cybernetic system ... the observer has beliefs ("I'll catch my death!"), means (the thermostat), and so on ... that the observer-as-cybernetic-system can turn and observe its own act of observing (self reflection) is a natural result of it being able to observe cybernetic systems ... not that any of this actually holds water, but it does provide more of a cybernetic theory of mind than that afforded by first-order cybernetics ...
0 Replies

Patrick Roberts phil

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
@xris,
xris;100903 wrote:
Deep patterns, i dont think i have any patterns. I consider the mind to speculate on my brains activities and ask it why it nags me. I speculate on my animal urges that my brain signals me to carry out. I cant say it resembles anything like the pleasure of regulating my bath water. I think im missing something here, it must be me, sorry.

I certainly admit that there's much more to explain about a human mind than my minimal thermostat mind shows. I just think that all other features of mind are well imagined as only complications of that thermostat.

For example, I don't consider pleasure to be merely analogous to reaching a goal. So a mere thermostat wouldn't have anything like pleasure or pain.

If you're concerned about qualia, unless you can shed some uncommon light on that problem, then I prefer to concentrate on function.

Precisely what differences between a human mind and this thermostat bother you most? I wouldn't want to overlook anything.

To me, turning on the air conditioner if I'm hot, seems to only differ from a thermostat's work in the sense that I happen to also have many other things to think about.
xris

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 04:09 am
@Patrick Roberts phil,
Patrick Roberts;101109 wrote:
I certainly admit that there's much more to explain about a human mind than my minimal thermostat mind shows. I just think that all other features of mind are well imagined as only complications of that thermostat.

For example, I don't consider pleasure to be merely analogous to reaching a goal. So a mere thermostat wouldn't have anything like pleasure or pain.

If you're concerned about qualia, unless you can shed some uncommon light on that problem, then I prefer to concentrate on function.

Precisely what differences between a human mind and this thermostat bother you most? I wouldn't want to overlook anything.

To me, turning on the air conditioner if I'm hot, seems to only differ from a thermostat's work in the sense that I happen to also have many other things to think about.
Well my thermostat needs no input its not a matter of deciding, it functions on its own, i sweat or shake. Its the reptilian brain that has that certain job.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:42 am
@Patrick Roberts phil,
Patrick Roberts;100685 wrote:
It's very useful to imagine every act, including philosophy, as the work of a mind, but how best can you define mind? What precisely should distinguish an intelligent thing from a mindless one?

I'm fond of a distinction lifted from cybernetics: negative feedback loop with amplification. A thermostat is a simple example. I think this is a fundamental distinction, between a thing that's passive and a thing that preserves another thing, possibly itself.

I don't think we should reserve the word 'mind' for only human-like minds when artifacts little more complex than a thermostat can show ample intelligence and be immensely useful.
When being able to distinct, forsee and prevent errors and faults. Higher intelligence may lie in factor in "abstract relevance".
0 Replies