What is speech?

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:55 pm
Somebody please help...

I can't get my head around these ideas of speech:

What is a word?
Do words really have meaning?
What would our thoughts be like without words?
Can a word really have the same meaning between any two people and how can we know this without using words?
Do words limit us more than help us if they are infintely ambigous?

Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,582 • Replies: 34
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 09:40 pm
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98217 wrote:
Somebody please help...

What is a word?
Can a word really have the same meaning between any two people and how can we know this without using words?

The Unfolding of Language. By Guy Deutscher
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:02 am
@D bowden,
If words did not have meaning, then communication between two people would be impossible, and so would thinking. Words exist in language, and language implies people who use it.

It doesn't seem to be the case that words must have the exact same meaning for each of us, since words have many levels of meaning. One such level is the personal experience attached to them; another is the general meaning that is shared by anyone in a position to understand the word. One could also point to an extremely technical use of the world shared by a limited group of people. Words to not have to have one function or one meaning; most words have all sorts of connotative meanings and all sorts of very particular ways in which they are used.

Universals are certainly words with the most ambiguous meanings and are almost without any particular content, yet they play a major part in our rational thinking.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:34 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;98262 wrote:
If words did not have meaning, then communication between two people would be impossible, and so would thinking. Words exist in language, and language implies people who use it.

It doesn't seem to be the case that words must have the exact same meaning for each of us, since words have many levels of meaning. One such level is the personal experience attached to them; another is the general meaning that is shared by anyone in a position to understand the word. One could also point to an extremely technical use of the world shared by a limited group of people. Words to not have to have one function or one meaning; most words have all sorts of connotative meanings and all sorts of very particular ways in which they are used.

Universals are certainly words with the most ambiguous meanings and are almost without any particular content, yet they play a major part in our rational thinking.

Unless a word had meaning, it would not be a word at all. It would be a nonsense mark or sound like wshoowa. All words have meaning is a tautology.

By "universals" I suppose you mean, "universal terms", or general terms like "fish" or, "mammal". It does not seem to me that "fish" or "dog" are ambiguous particularly, nor that they are devoid of content. "Mammal" for instance is quite specifically defined in biology. In any case, to say that a word is ambiguous is to say it has multiple meanings, but "mammal" does not have multiple meanings, and neither does, "dog". You may have in mind not ambiguity, but vagueness. But that is a different matter.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
@D bowden,
Chair.

This (pointing to an object) is a chair. NOW it has content.

That was what I was getting at in discussing universals.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:44 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;98286 wrote:
Chair.

This (pointing to an object) is a chair. NOW it has content.

That was what I was getting at in discussing universals.

Do you mean that only when you point to a chair, and say, "this is a chair" that the word "chair" has content? I don't know just what you mean by, "content", but it seems to me that when I say, "the chairs in this shop are very expensive", the term "chair(s)" has "content". Or even when I say, "chairs are articles of furniture", the term has "content". But then, as I say, I am not clear about what you have in mind with the term, "content". But, there is another point to be made. If I point to a chair, and I say, "This is a chair", how is the person to whom I am talking to know that I am not pointing to a color, and that I am not pointing to the color of the object; or, again, that I am not pointing to what the object is made of, i.e. wood. In other words ostensive definitions like, 'this is an "X"' are ambiguous, since the person need not know to what you are referring with the demonstrative pronoun, "this", or even when you point. For you might be pointing to the color, or the material, or a host of other things too. Therefore, it is not at all clear what content the term has.
0 Replies

Zacrates

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:33 am
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98217 wrote:
Somebody please help...

What is a word?

Words are another form or communication, they have meaning, but only to the bunch of people who understand what they mean. To a German person, who doesn't know english if I say "Where's the bathroom" or something like that he'd think I was crazy, but if I sad it to you, you would understand it right?
0 Replies

D bowden

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:29 am
@D bowden,
This is great progress! But unfortunately friends your answers are very much the same that i have been troubling over.

Now a word seems to be simply a sound made by the vocal cords. Can a sound have meaning? Or does the meaning remain in my mind. Also wouldnt the meaning be the same despite any sound i make? I can call a dog a dog but if i thought the word for a "dog" was "cat" (i know this would be unusual) then the meaning seems to be the same despite what i call it. However the meaning you interperate from the word can be quite different. How can we be sure that we both associate the same meaning with sounds (words) we make? Is this impossible?

When people communicate what is really taking place? I know we exchange words but isn't this simply making noises to each other and then assuming a meaning for those noises? Does this assumption become more and more inaccuate as the meaning of the words become more complex. If i told someone i saw a dog then would they really know what i mean? how big is this dog? what color? There a many kinds of dogs and it seems no two dogs are excactly the same. I know this doesnt really matter if they dont quite picture the same dog i mean but when it comes to asking someone what is truth then it seems an enormous task to even understand what that person means by truth. How can we even come close? wouldn't this take hours of disscusion to assume that we both understand the word or sound truth to be the same thing? What about asking someone the meaning of God? This would be harder again between two people. What seems even more impossible is getting millions of people to understand the word or sound God to be the same thing!! Exspecially if God is meant to be immaterial and timeless. How do you picture this? Can you picture this? Does anyone actually believe God to be the same thing or are there just millions of kinds of Gods?

Also if you can't picture what God IS only what God is NOT then doesn't anyone's belief in God become believing what God isnt?? Does it matter if we all believe in slightly different Gods? If someone believes God to be good but there interperation of good is not the same as many other people's interpertation of good then doesn't it become irrelevant that they believe in God? If you can't answer clearly and concisely what God is and still claim to believe in God then doesn't this become the same as not quite knowing what you believe in? It seems we need to know how to use words properly to even become close.

Any thoughts?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:26 pm
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98309 wrote:
This is great progress! But unfortunately friends your answers are very much the same that i have been troubling over.

Now a word seems to be simply a sound made by the vocal cords. Can a sound have meaning? Or does the meaning remain in my mind. Also wouldnt the meaning be the same despite any sound i make? I can call a dog a dog but if i thought the word for a "dog" was "cat" (i know this would be unusual) then the meaning seems to be the same despite what i call it. However the meaning you interperate from the word can be quite different. How can we be sure that we both associate the same meaning with sounds (words) we make? Is this impossible?

When people communicate what is really taking place? I know we exchange words but isn't this simply making noises to each other and then assuming a meaning for those noises? Does this assumption become more and more inaccuate as the meaning of the words become more complex. If i told someone i saw a dog then would they really know what i mean? how big is this dog? what color? There a many kinds of dogs and it seems no two dogs are excactly the same. I know this doesnt really matter if they dont quite picture the same dog i mean but when it comes to asking someone what is truth then it seems an enormous task to even understand what that person means by truth. How can we even come close? wouldn't this take hours of disscusion to assume that we both understand the word or sound truth to be the same thing? What about asking someone the meaning of God? This would be harder again between two people. What seems even more impossible is getting millions of people to understand the word or sound God to be the same thing!! Exspecially if God is meant to be immaterial and timeless. How do you picture this? Can you picture this? Does anyone actually believe God to be the same thing or are there just millions of kinds of Gods?

Also if you can't picture what God IS only what God is NOT then doesn't anyone's belief in God become believing what God isnt?? Does it matter if we all believe in slightly different Gods? If someone believes God to be good but there interperation of good is not the same as many other people's interpertation of good then doesn't it become irrelevant that they believe in God? If you can't answer clearly and concisely what God is and still claim to believe in God then doesn't this become the same as not quite knowing what you believe in? It seems we need to know how to use words properly to even become close.

Any thoughts?

A word is not simply a sound (or mark). A word is a sound (or mark) and its meaning too. A sound (or mark) without a meaning is not a word. And the meaning of a word consists in how that sound (or mark) is used by the fluent speakers of the language (whatever it is). And, it is that use of that word which is described by the dictionary of that language. A word may have various personal associations for different speakers of the language, but those personal associations are not part of the meaning of the word, although they may be part of the meaning of the word for some particular individual. But the meaning (or personal associations) of a word for some particular individual is not part of the meaning of the word. If the mark (or sound) "dog" were used by fluent speakers of English in the way the mark (or sound) "cat" was now used by fluent speaker of English, then the mark (or sound) "dog" would have the meaning the mark (or sound) "cat" now has, and we would be using the mark (or sound) "dog" to refer to those objects we now refer to with the mark (or sound) "dog".
In order to know the meaning of a word like "dog", people need not picture the same thing, or even picture anything at all, since the meaning of the word, "dog" is not a picture, but, as I said it was, the way the word "dog" is used by fluent speakers of the language, in this case, English.
Zetherin

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:42 pm
@D bowden,
kennethamy wrote:
In other words ostensive definitions like, 'this is an "X"' are ambiguous, since the person need not know to what you are referring with the demonstrative pronoun, "this", or even when you point. For you might be pointing to the color, or the material, or a host of other things too. Therefore, it is not at all clear what content the term has.

But it's clearly not ambiguous if the person to whom you're speaking to understands what a "chair" is. When I point to a chair and say, "This is a chair", one shouldn't think I'm speaking about anything else but the object that is, a chair. Why would anyone think I'm pointing to the color, material, or a host of other things, if they knew what a chair was? It seems to me they would understand that what I'm referring to is the object that we call a chair. Unless, of course, there's another descriptive definition for the word "chair" which I'm not aware of (for instance, if there is a color called "chair").

Perhaps if I were speaking to someone not well-versed in the English language, and I pointed to a chair and said, "This is a chair", I would understand if they didn't understand what I meant by "chair" (in this case they wouldn't know if I was referring to the color, material, or a host of other things).
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:01 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;98326 wrote:
But it's clearly not ambiguous if the person to whom you're speaking to understands what a "chair" is. When I point to a chair and say, "This is a chair", one shouldn't think I'm speaking about anything else but the object that is, a chair. Why would anyone think I'm pointing to the color, material, or a host of other things, if they knew what a chair was? It seems to me they would understand that what I'm referring to is the object that we call a chair. Unless, of course, there's another descriptive definition for the word "chair" which I'm not aware of (for instance, if there is a color called "chair").

Perhaps if I were speaking to someone not well-versed in the English language, and I pointed to a chair and said, "This is a chair", I would understand if they didn't understand what I meant by "chair" (in this case they wouldn't know if I was referring to the color, material, or a host of other things).

If the person knows what the word, "chair" means, then why are you explaining the meaning of the word "chair" to him? In any case, the meaning of the word, "chair" is not a chair. Chairs are what the term "chair" refers to. The meaning of the word "chair" is "A chair is a piece of furniture consisting of a seat, legs, back, and sometimes arm rests, for use by one person". You can point to the referent of the term, "chair", but not to its meaning. The meaning of the word, "chair", consists in how it is used by fluent English speakers. An ostensive definition of a word is a definition only in the sense that it may be able to get someone to understand what the word means. But, that may be dicey. And, of course, for most words there can be no ostensive definition. For example the word, "although", or the word, "mermaid", both for different reasons.
D bowden

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:04 pm
@kennethamy,
Someone had to write a dictionary though. How can anyone be certain that a word in the dictionary means the same to them as what it means to the person/s who worte it?

I can certainly undertand that a word is a sound with meaning. It is clear now that a sound without meaning is not a word. But when i make a sound with a meaning attatched to it how does anyone know for sure what that meaning is apart from guessing? If I wasn't sure of the meaning of a word then i could look in a dictionary. But a dictionary has more words in it! Written by more people! are these people that write dictionarys gifted with the skill of universally understanding the sounds people make and the meanings they attatch to them? Or is a dictionary a collection of words and a largely agreed upon assumption of what they mean? I look up God in the dictionary and it says " The supreme being, creator and ruler of the universe, concieved as eternal, omniscient, good and almighty."

This doesn't help one bit because i need to know what each of these words mean. i could look up each word but then im faced with more. Even after this painstaking proccess (which i have tried) i still come to the conclusion that these words are written on paper by someone or many people. Where did they find the meanings of the words the wrote down if it wasn't from a dictionary?

It makes sense that the way people use words is more important than the word itself. This is a problem when someone uses a word in the wrong way though. What i guess im looking for is an answer to can we establish an infinte meaning of a word? Will God ever be a God we all understand to be the same thing? Can we achieve common understandings that are the same between people or will we never know for sure? If we cant using words is there another form of communication more effective? Is this something only possible between philsophers? if so shouldnt the people with most power over society be those most qualified in philsophy? Like Plato suggested with having a Philospher King.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:09 pm
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98336 wrote:
Someone had to write a dictionary though. How can anyone be certain that a word in the dictionary means the same to them as what it means to the person/s who worte it?

I can certainly undertand that a word is a sound with meaning. It is clear now that a sound without meaning is not a word. But when i make a sound with a meaning attatched to it how does anyone know for sure what that meaning is apart from guessing? If I wasn't sure of the meaning of a word then i could look in a dictionary. But a dictionary has more words in it! Written by more people! are these people that write dictionarys gifted with the skill of universally understanding the sounds people make and the meanings they attatch to them? Or is a dictionary a collection of words and a largely agreed upon assumption of what they mean? I look up God in the dictionary and it says " The supreme being, creator and ruler of the universe, concieved as eternal, omniscient, good and almighty."

This doesn't help one bit because i need to know what each of these words mean. i could look up each word but then im faced with more. Even after this painstaking proccess (which i have tried) i still come to the conclusion that these words are written on paper by someone or many people. Where did they find the meanings of the words the wrote down if it wasn't from a dictionary?

It makes sense that the way people use words is more important than the word itself. This is a problem when someone uses a word in the wrong way though. What i guess im looking for is an answer to can we establish an infinte meaning of a word? Will God ever be a God we all understand to be the same thing? Can we achieve common understandings that are the same between people or will we never know for sure? If we cant using words is there another form of communication more effective? Is this something only possible between philsophers? if so shouldnt the people with most power over society be those most qualified in philsophy? Like Plato suggested with having a Philospher King.

It doesn't matter what a word mean for anyone. What the dictionary records (as I said) is how the word is used by the fluent speakers of the language (English in this case). And the data consist in many example of the use of the term in books, magazines, speeches, etc. The editors of the dictionary (a committee of them) then collate the data, and then extract from the collations the meaning (or meanings) of the term. It has nothing to do with what the personal association the the word happen to be, since those are not a part of the objective public meaning of the word.
0 Replies

D bowden

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;98326 wrote:

But you can't point at God? Or truth or goodness. You can see these things or sense them in any way.

---------- Post added 10-18-2009 at 02:14 PM ----------

kennethamy;98338 wrote:
It doesn't matter what a word mean for anyone. What the dictionary records (as I said) is how the word is used by the fluent speakers of the language (English in this case). And the data consist in many example of the use of the term in books, magazines, speeches, etc. The editors of the dictionary (a committee of them) then collate the data, and then extract from the collations the meaning (or meanings) of the term. It has nothing to do with what the personal association the the word happen to be, since those are not a part of the objective public meaning of the word.

Right this is beggining to make more sense.

So would it be correct to say a word doesnt have a single meaning but a widely accepted use of it?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:15 pm
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98339 wrote:
But you can't point at God? Or truth or goodness. You can see these things or sense them in any way.

That's true. But what has that to do with it? The term "God" has a certain use among English speakers. You can look that use up in the dictionary. The same for "truth". How fluent English speakers use the terms, "God" or "truth" is what those words mean. Just as in the case of "table" or "although".

---------- Post added 10-18-2009 at 03:24 PM ----------

D_bowden;98339 wrote:

---------- Post added 10-18-2009 at 02:14 PM ----------

Right this is beggining to make more sense.

So would it be correct to say a word doesnt have a single meaning but a widely accepted use of it?

A word may have several meaning. Like the word, "bank" (financial institution, side of a river, what a plane does, etc.) And these several meanings consist of the how English speaker use the term, "bank". You can discover these uses in the dictionary. (For technical reasons, "bank" financial institution and "bank", side of a river, are usually said to be two different words (homonyms) rather than the same word with two different meanings). As I said, the word is the sound or mark together with its meaning. And, its meaning is how it is used by fluent speakers of the language. I suppose if they use the word that way, then they accept that use of the word. But that's just two different ways of saying the same thing, unless you think they are being forced to use it that way.
D bowden

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98345 wrote:
That's true. But what has that to do with it? The term "God" has a certain use among English speakers. You can look that use up in the dictionary. The same for "truth". How fluent English speakers use the terms, "God" or "truth" is what those words mean. Just as in the case of "table" or "although".

It's becoming more evident that the meanings words have are determined by the way fluent speakers of that language use them. We should use words based on what they mean to many not to oneself?

So if the meaning of the word exist as written in the "Websters Concise Dictionary of the English language" is " to have actual being or reality or to continue to live or be or to be present" means that God does not exist. Despite any personal meaning i have of the word exist it doesn't change the fact that God does not exist as defined by the dictionary.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:39 pm
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98348 wrote:
It's becoming more evident that the meanings words have are determined by the way fluent speakers of that language use them. We should use words based on what they mean to many not to oneself?

So if the meaning of the word exist as written in the "Websters Concise Dictionary of the English language" is " to have actual being or reality or to continue to live or be or to be present" means that God does not exist. Despite any personal meaning i have of the word exist it doesn't change the fact that God does not exist as defined by the dictionary.

Why would that definition (which I don't think is in the dictionary) imply that God does not exist? If it did, it would not be a proper definition, since it is not true that fluent speakers of the language use the word, "God" so that it implies that God does not exist. A proper definition of God would have to be neutral as to whether God exists or not.
And, as a matter of fact, no definition of any term can imply that what that term refers to does not exist. For instance, the meaning of the term, "mermaid" cannot imply that there are no mermaids.
D bowden

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98351 wrote:
Why would that definition (which I don't think is in the dictionary) imply that God does not exist? If it did, it would not be a proper definition, since it is not true that fluent speakers of the language use the word, "God" so that it implies that God does not exist. A proper definition of God would have to be neutral as to whether God exists or not.
And, as a matter of fact, no definition of any term can imply that what that term refers to does not exist. For instance, the meaning of the term, "mermaid" cannot imply that there are no mermaids.

No the meaning of existence would have to determine whether Mermaids exist.

It seems i must buy myself a new dictionary as this one is giving me false definitions. If say i do search other dictionarys and find similar definitions how do i know which one is the correct one? I am curious as to what these words that i hear day in and out actually mean. Also how am i to know how fluent speakers use words? I don't have the resources to ask enough fluent speakers of the English langauge how they use words to come to an accurate conclusion. Is this something perhaps that we can't know?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:04 pm
@D bowden,
D_bowden;98355 wrote:
No the meaning of existence would have to determine whether Mermaids exist.

It seems i must buy myself a new dictionary as this one is giving me false definitions. If say i do search other dictionarys and find similar definitions how do i know which one is the correct one? I am curious as to what these words that i hear day in and out actually mean. Also how am i to know how fluent speakers use words? I don't have the resources to ask enough fluent speakers of the English langauge how they use words to come to an accurate conclusion.

The term, "mermaid" means something like "a woman with the lower torso of a fish". And what is means to say that, mermaids exist, is that there is something that is a woman with the lower torso of a fish. And, since that is not true, mermaids do not exist. To say that X exists is to say that a certain concept (definition) refers to something. And to say that X does not exist is to say that a certain concept (definition) does not refer to anything. So, for instance, to say that God exists, is to say that the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, all good being, has a referent. And to say that God does not exist is to say that the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, all good being, fails to refer to anything.
D bowden

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98360 wrote:
The term, "mermaid" means something like "a woman with the lower torso of a fish". And what is means to say that, mermaids exist, is that there is something that is a woman with the lower torso of a fish. And, since that is not true, mermaids do not exist. To say that X exists is to say that a certain concept (definition) refers to something. And to say that X does not exist is to say that a certain concept (definition) does not refer to anything. So, for instance, to say that God exists, is to say that the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, all good being, has a referent. And to say that God does not exist is to say that the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, all good being, fails to refer to anything.

This seems to make sense. So God exists in the sense that it is refered to as being omnipotent, omniscient, all good being.

This is where i get a little confused though. If i didn't know what a chair was for example and asked someone to explain to me what a chair is and the answer they gave me was that a chair is not a table would i know what a chair is? Or if they carried on to explain that a chair is also not many other things would i then understand what a chair is?

The reason i ask is because i've been lead to believe that God is immaterial and timeless and must be because If God were to exist before matter and time then god must be these things. When however i ask what is immaterial i am told it is to have no matter. What is timeless? it is something out of time. This doesn't so much tell me what timeless and immaterial are but what they are not.

Now something all powerfull, good and all seeing appears to be something i can understand. But the more i think about it the more it seems it can't be understood. I don't know what infinite power and goodness is but more what it is not. if this is true then saying God refers to these things means that God doesn't really refer to anything that i know of? It may just be that i am lacking in knowledge. If this is so then can someone please explain what all goodness, all powerfull, all knowing concepts are without telling me what they are not. I understand what they are not but i'm more after an understanding of what they truely are.