phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

bschneider5

Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:11 pm
OK, I installed the mod and I think the last thing that needs dome is finalizing the .htaccess file. I made it, it ended up having to be called 1.htaccess, but I use frontpage as my editor and not sure if I can control how it is uploaded (binary, ASCII, etc) Can someone provide some input on this? WHere I'm at right now is if you are logged in, you can't tell anything is different. If you aren't logged in, the browser identifies the links as www,mysite.com/forum3 for example ten when you click on it you get the page not found. Is this right so far?
0 Replies

shorecon

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:42 pm
New Design Integrate Problem
Perhaps this has been answered, but I have been unable to find an answer to it.

After two days of trying to incorporate this mod into a style (skin) that is not the standard phpBB skin, I have been unable to get it to work properly. Actually all of the links work fine except for the primary "category" links that are on the home page.

Oddly enough, when I insert the original index_body.tpl file (from subSilver), the issue is still there. When I change the style back to the orginal subSilver design, it all works fine.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening.

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:56 pm
bschneider5 wrote:
OK, I installed the mod and I think the last thing that needs dome is finalizing the .htaccess file. I made it, it ended up having to be called 1.htaccess, but I use frontpage as my editor and not sure if I can control how it is uploaded (binary, ASCII, etc) Can someone provide some input on this? WHere I'm at right now is if you are logged in, you can't tell anything is different. If you aren't logged in, the browser identifies the links as www,mysite.com/forum3 for example ten when you click on it you get the page not found. Is this right so far?

See here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44896
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:56 pm
bschneider5 wrote:
Is this mod compatible with ezmod?

Probably not, no attempt to make it compatible with that mod has been made.

mreider wrote:
Any idea when a new version of this mod will be released? Does it work with the latest PHPBB?

Sometime soon and yes.
0 Replies

bschneider5

Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
OK, never mind the last post. I switched from frontpage to dreamweaver. I was also able to get to my .htaccess file on my server. I am still having problems though. It seems as though when not logged in, you can see the link is converted to an html file(.../forum-5.html for example) However, when you click it you get 404 error. Here is the htaccess file, do you see any problems with it? Also wanted to note, the subdirectory my forums is in is ../forum/ not forums, I left it as forums because otherwise I cannot even get to the forums!

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName stampingallery.com
AuthUserFile /www/s/t/stampingallery.com/htdocs/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /www/s/t/stampingallery.com/htdocs/_vti_pvt/service.grp

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

Thanks for all your help!!!
0 Replies

tekguru

Thu 20 Oct, 2005 04:57 pm
Any thoughts at all anyone on using the rewrite Mod on portal.php as well as Index.php? I was hoping for an easy answer, but no replies to my query. Sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:35 pm
bschneider5,

Please see the link I posted for you.
0 Replies

LexieMolotoff

Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:27 am
Error pages when guest clicks an forum
I have applied the mod_rewrite1.0.0 mod and when people arent't logged in they get a page not found error page.

How can I redirect guest accounts to a login/register page or maybe even let them read the forum but not post or reply to it?

greets
Lex
0 Replies

neha patelx9x

Wed 26 Oct, 2005 02:46 pm
Craven de Kere , i was wondering if you can tell me what u think on the following Sad

i found this at some place Sad
Quote:
If someone links to a specific message in my forum from outside, then the search engines catalog that, and even follow it, when they get to my site the url is going to be different. In essence, that page won't get any credit for those links right? It seems like the SE's would have two versions of the page regardless.

I guess my question is, am I harming the ability of specific forum topics/posts to get links, because I am re-writing all the internal urls for search engines?

thanks for your time ...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:37 am
Re: Error pages when guest clicks an forum
LexieMolotoff wrote:
I have applied the mod_rewrite1.0.0 mod and when people arent't logged in they get a page not found error page.

How can I redirect guest accounts to a login/register page or maybe even let them read the forum but not post or reply to it?

greets
Lex

The mod is not working for you, please see the last link I posted for information on how to fix it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:39 am
neha_patelx9x wrote:
Craven de Kere , i was wondering if you can tell me what u think on the following Sad

i found this at some place Sad
Quote:
If someone links to a specific message in my forum from outside, then the search engines catalog that, and even follow it, when they get to my site the url is going to be different. In essence, that page won't get any credit for those links right? It seems like the SE's would have two versions of the page regardless.

I guess my question is, am I harming the ability of specific forum topics/posts to get links, because I am re-writing all the internal urls for search engines?

thanks for your time ...

No harm is done, but the inbound links would be more powerful if they all point at the same URL.

This will be rendered moot when the next version is released. It rewrites for both logged in and logged out users.

The mod is finshed, but I need to do some testing before I release it. I have a lot going on this weekend but it will be released within the next 14 days.
0 Replies

neha patelx9x

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:50 am
thank you for taking time to reply Smile i will be waiting for the next release Smile
0 Replies

LexieMolotoff

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 02:00 am
I feel so small...
I feel so small...

Craven thank you for the link... I indeed placed the .htaccess code in the root www folder's .htaccess instead of the forum root .htaccess...

can you ever forgive us dummies?
0 Replies

aviv

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:16 am
New MOD for latest phpBB?
Hi Craven,

I wanted to ask about the mod that you posted for download (on the first page of this 136-page-long thread)-
Does it apply in the exact same way to the latest phpBB - version phpBB 2.0.17 ?

Thanks!
0 Replies

tekguru

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
Reply to Tekguru's query.
Craven, or anyone else, any ideas how to get the MOD working with the portal.php, I've kept on trying but alas nothing seems to work!
0 Replies

mba

Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
Ive been using this original mod on 2.0.17 version but as yet not shown up in any google indexing although i do know that google has been to my site as i have the XML Google Sitemap mod installed.

How long did this take you guys to show up in google? I have followed the instructs exact and everything works except i am not being stored in google Sad

Maybe this new release will sort it Smile
0 Replies

mba

Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:12 am
I also have installed the "googlebot detector" for the admin panel of my phpBB forum, i have installed both mods that come in this download but ive found in my googlebot detector it has shown as visting

Code:1 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92
2 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38
3 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=67
4 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32
5 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98
6 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24
7 Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73

This only a sample but how come the bot is indexing as php and not as html?

Does having the XML Google Sitemap module installed on the phpBB forum affect the SEO mod? Anybody else use this?
0 Replies

NeoID

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:44 pm
This sounds like a really good mod, nice work! However, my webhost doesn't
allow mod_rewrite, but does it work without it? Confused
0 Replies

webdesignlab

Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:08 am
Hi,

I recently got this mod working, thanks to all here.

However I am trying to trim all the pages to help SEO. For example getting rid of the jump menus.

On posting.php I want to get rid of the refresh to viewpost. This happens when you have submitted a message you then have two links, one to the forum the other to view just your message in that thread.

I don't want to give the user a choice, just to go to the forum page. But refresh keeps kicking in.

I have looked at the the templates area and cannot find this specific part of posting.php

Anyone know where to look?

The biggest reason for this is that I get a 404 error when it refreshes that I dont want.

http://www........ post-17.html#17 is how it comes up in the URL this has a 404 error.

Cheers
0 Replies

godam64

Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:07 pm
is there any release for phpbb2 plus 1.52 like this forum?
the index.php and some other files are so different from phpbb2 core.
thanks
0 Replies