phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Bicet

Wed 4 May, 2005 02:39 am
Same problem here
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 4 May, 2005 09:33 am
I fixed the download.
0 Replies

graziano

Thu 5 May, 2005 12:53 am
Hello

regarding the "phpBB static URLs mod _rewrite 1.0.0.txt"

I noticed that the mod above works fine simply changing
pageheader and pagetail.

The modification below (to function.php) is really required ?
(I cannot understand the need of this modications )

Thank you!

Code:
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

includes/functions.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

if (!empty($db))
{
$db->sql_close();
}

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

if ( !$userdata['session_logged_in'] )
{
if (stristr($url, 'http://')) {
header('Location: ' . $url);
exit;
}
}
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 5 May, 2005 12:57 am
graziano wrote:

The modification below (to function.php) is really required ?
(I cannot understand the need of this modications )

It was for an old old version of phpbb. I don't remember exactly why it was needed as it was contributed by someone running one of those old versions and I only did limited tests with the code.

You don't need it if it works without it but it won't hurt you.

It will be removed from the next version.
0 Replies

graziano

Thu 5 May, 2005 01:29 am
Another thing Craven

Regarding

Able2Know.com Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0.txt

This mod unlink a lot of links Smile

Why instead don't you use rel="nofollow" recently used and accepted by google ?

Bye
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 5 May, 2005 01:35 am
What do you know about the algorithmic interpretation of "nofollow".

Only that search engines (Google, MSN, and Yahoo) plan to use it to curb link spam.

This is not enough information to determine whether it is a suitable substitute.

Do you know:

• Whether they are already using it? (I think Google is, I don't think some others are).
  • Whether having links with "nofollow" will make search engines think the link goes to a site that spams blogs a lot? (I doubt it, but there's nothing stoping them from doing so)
  • Whether the "nofollow" links still dillute your page's value without adding said value to the linked site? (this can make sense for search engines).

Ultimately, I think it would make little difference either way. I don't, however, see any compelling reason to leave some extraneous links there while using the tags.
0 Replies

graziano

Thu 5 May, 2005 01:41 am
I read about nofollow on a lot of seo sites and here

http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html

"We hope the web software community will quickly adopt this attribute and we're pleased that a number of blog software makers have already signed on..."

Graziano
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 5 May, 2005 01:47 am
graziano wrote:
I read about nofollow on a lot of seo sites and here

http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html

Graziano

I know about nofollow. I currently use it here for offsite links. However the questions I asked are not answered by the search engines and how they deal with the tag is up to them.

Thusly I don't see a compelling reason to use them for links to your own site.
0 Replies

hotmale

Thu 12 May, 2005 03:32 pm
Firstly, thanks for the hard work you put into this mod Craven de Kere!

I'm interested in your mod, but I have a few quick questions first.
1) Is it 100% compatible with the latest 2.0.15 version of phpBB?
2) How do I know whether I have Apache and mod_rewrite? Should I ask my webhost?
3) Where is the .htaccess file I need to edit located?
4) I'm not sure if I have a robots.txt file. Can I skip this part of the mod:
Code:#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

robots.txt

Disallow: forums/post-*.html$
Disallow: forums/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forums/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forums/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: forums/ntopic*.html$

If this code is a must, then can you please explain what you meant? Should I add or remove this code from the file?

5) Will your next version of the mod be available any time soon? You said a long time ago that you'll be releasing it. Don't misunderstand me, I do appreciate your work and I know you're probably busy with your own life. But if it's coming out soon, I'd rather wait a while for it to come out Smile

Sorry if these questions have already been asked, but I couldn't search in 119 pages!
0 Replies

993ti

Fri 13 May, 2005 08:23 am
1) Yep, i'm still using it Smile
2) Open your texteditior (like wordpad or notepad) and put this code in it:
Code:<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

// Show just the module information.
// phpinfo(8) yields identical results.
phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);

?>

Save it as phpinfo.php (or save as phpinfo.txt and rename it to phpinfo.php later), upload it to your server and run it by calling it in your browser (webadress.com/phpinfo.php).
If mod_rewrite is enalbled, you should see it in the list.

3) You can create an htaccess yourself by using your texteditor again, put the code in it and save it as htaccess.txt.
Then upload it to the server, chmod it to 755 and rename it to .htaccess

4) Again, use your texteditor and save as robots.txt.

5) If i'm correct, there will be a new version when phpbb 3 is released Smile
0 Replies

booman2

Sat 14 May, 2005 10:25 pm
Dear Sir.
.....I don't have a clue as to how long I will be punished for the sin sombody else commited on the forum, so I must ask again for a favor.
.....A young lady name Rae wee on friendly terms, when I was here two years ago in my previous incarnation "booman". She PM'd me again tonight and didn't sound good bdcause she thinks I am snubbing her. If I haven't built up enough credit from my two incarnations combined, could you at least PM her for me, and tell her of my punishment and ask her to write me via my e-mail in my profile. ThankYou
0 Replies

B-truE

Mon 16 May, 2005 03:59 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Able2Know Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION

--------------------------

If you like this MOD and would like to show your support feel free to add a link to your forum footer.

Code:<a href="http://www.able2know.com" target="_blank">Ask an Expert</a>

Will the code contained in the d-load (quoted above) work with v2.0.15 of phpBB?

Also, this is becoming a chore to have to add each time phpBB releases an update. Do you know of any plans for this type of code to be included in any future phpBB release?

Thanks.

B-truE
0 Replies

993ti

Mon 16 May, 2005 05:30 pm
Go 1 page back and see the answer......
0 Replies

B-truE

Mon 16 May, 2005 06:01 pm
993ti wrote:
Go 1 page back and see the answer......

Thanks. I did a search but didn't find it.

By the way, I am about to use the "Changed Files Only" download from the phpBB site to upgrade from v2.0.11 to v2.0.15...the re-type all the SEO mod changes.

Is this the easiest way to complete this upgrade and make the SEO mod changes? Or, should I do a manual upgrade of the phpBB changes...?

Thanks for your insight. I'm not too savy on doing these upgrades without breaking MOD(s) all the time...

B-truE
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 16 May, 2005 09:08 pm
B-truE wrote:
Do you know of any plans for this type of code to be included in any future phpBB release?

phpbb 3 has some code to address search engine spiders and their sessions. However I disagree with the way they are coding it, with a list of spider useragents that needs to be maintained and I will continue to publish seo code for phpbb, as seo continues to be neglected in phpbb's design.
0 Replies

hotmale

Tue 17 May, 2005 12:15 pm
B-truE wrote:
By the way, I am about to use the "Changed Files Only" download from the phpBB site to upgrade from v2.0.11 to v2.0.15...the re-type all the SEO mod changes.
Because you're using mods, it's better to update your forum using the code changes only:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=48

Thanks for the answers 993ti Smile
I have a couple more questions which should have quick answers:
1) The robots.txt and .htaccess files I need to edit, where are they located? www.mydomain.com or the www.mydomain.com/forum/
2) Does the first part of the mod (i.e. Able2Know.com Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0.txt) remove the SIDs?! I've implemented it without the phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0.txt but I no longer see SIDs as a guest. If it's supposed to work that way, do I need the second part of the mod?
0 Replies

993ti

Tue 17 May, 2005 12:31 pm
You're welcome Smile
The robots.txt should be uploaded to www.domain.com
See http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22587 for more details.

The first part removes the sessions for guests Smile
The rewrite can only be used if mod_rewrite is enabled on your server but your site wil also be indexed without it.
0 Replies

B-truE

Tue 17 May, 2005 12:53 pm
hotmale wrote:
B-truE wrote:
Because you're using mods, it's better to update your forum using the code changes only:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=48

Thanks. Do you know of anything in the code changes from 2.0.11 up to 2.0.15 that will break any of Craven's SEO mod?

If there's not anything that will break the MOD, then I shouldn't have to re-install it - obviously right?

Thanks.

B-truE
0 Replies

hotmale

Tue 17 May, 2005 03:32 pm
993ti wrote:
The rewrite can only be used if mod_rewrite is enabled on your server but your site wil also be indexed without it.
Thanks again. So what does the second part of the mod do? I just want to know if it's worth adding.

B truE wrote:
Do you know of anything in the code changes from 2.0.11 up to 2.0.15 that will break any of Craven's SEO mod?
If there's not anything that will break the MOD, then I shouldn't have to re-install it - obviously right?

I'm not 100% sure, but it will most probably go fine. In general, it's known that modifying the code is the best option for updating the forum if you have mods installed.

Just keep a backup in case you need it.

BTW, for upgrading from 2.0.11 to 2.0.15, you'll need to do the changes step-by-step i.e. 2.0.11 to 2.0.12 then 2.0.12 to 2.0.13 then 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 then 2.0.14 to 2.0.15. It's similar to installing mods and it might take some time.

Good luck! Smile
0 Replies

993ti

Tue 17 May, 2005 09:30 pm
hotmale wrote:
993ti wrote:
Thanks again. So what does the second part of the mod do? I just want to know if it's worth adding.

It makes the pages 'static' so it should be easier for the bots to crawl.
If you take a look at the results for phpbbhacks.com you'll notice that the archive pages are on the first page.
Still waiting for my results to get updated since i messed up a couple of times Very Happy
0 Replies