phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Joe Belmaati

Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:14 pm
Craven,
you may want to have a look at phpbbhacks.com/download/4596 (I removed the leading h-tee-tee-pee - hope that complies with your no-outbound-links forum rules). Anyhow, I had a quick look through the code and thought it looked suspiciously familiar....
0 Replies

mysticalwonders

Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:51 am
Popup
I am thinking about putting a hack to issue a pop up to guest to register.

Will this deter the spiders?

Code:#-----[ OPEN FILE: ]------------------------------------------
# templates/xxx/overall_header.tpl

------------- [FIND] -----------------------------------------

{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}</a>

------------- [ADD AFTER] ------------------------------------

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_out -->
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Begin
function popUp(URL) {
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=500,height=370,left = 287,top = 159');");
}
// End -->
</script>
<BODY onLoad="javascript:popUp('popup.tpl')">

<!-- END switch_user_logged_out -->

#
#-----[ OPEN FILE: ]------------------------------------------
# popup.tpl (included)
0 Replies

Joe Belmaati

Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:11 pm
Joe Belmaati wrote:
Craven,
you may want to have a look at phpbbhacks.com/download/4596 (I removed the leading h-tee-tee-pee - hope that complies with your no-outbound-links forum rules). Anyhow, I had a quick look through the code and thought it looked suspiciously familiar....
Just a small note to let you know that the plagiarized hack has been removed from the phpbbhacks database. I've got the files on my computer if you want to see for yourself/send an inquiry to the offender.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:12 am
mysticalwonders,

All non-content markup can dillute a page's relavancy a bit (really negligible until you are competing at an elite SEO level) but that code should not deter spiders.

Joe,

Thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies

B-truE

Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:32 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Able2Know Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION

Does the mod with changed shown with the date 2004-04-10, downloaded today (Feb. 15, 2005) work with phpBB v2.0.11?

Thanks.

B-truE
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:22 am
Yes
0 Replies

mysticalwonders

Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:38 pm
Okay well the mod is fully installed (able2know),

I saw logs of google deep crawling my site the last few days..

however it did not crawl today..and i am seeing from very very strange results in google for my site... punch in the following query in google and let me know what you think is the problem..and if you think that i probably need to wait a little longer..

google indexed direct reply pages, mostly php pages, faq.php, etc...its crazy

in google: site:mysticalwonders.org

please edit this post and remove the site address if you wish..

the phpbb is on /group

The robots.txt for the domain is

Code:User-agent: *
Disallow: /group/admin/
Disallow: /group/db/
Disallow: /group/files/
Disallow: /group/images/
Disallow: /group/includes/
Disallow: /group/language/
Disallow: /group/templates/
Disallow: /group/common.php
Disallow: /group/config.php
Disallow: /group/groupcp.php
Disallow: /group/memberlist.php
Disallow: /group/mini_cal.php
Disallow: /group/modcp.php
Disallow: /group/posting.php
Disallow: /group/profile.php
Disallow: /group/printview.php
Disallow: /group/privmsg.php
Disallow: /group/viewonline.php
Disallow: /group/faq.php
Disallow: /group/updates-topic.html
Disallow: /group/stop-updates-topic.html
Disallow: /group/ptopic
Disallow: /group/ntopic
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /rptd-pm.php

I have no idea why google is still indexing posting.php, etc..

Or am i suppose to put a copy of robots.txt into the phpbb main directory which is /group ?

Anyway maybe I have to wait a little longer for google to get things indexed properly... but your advice would be greatly appreciated.
0 Replies

B-truE

Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:11 pm
Mod Install
I did step 1 of the mod installation. However, I do not understand step two:

Quote:
If you have Apache and mod_rewrite make the changes in the phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0.txt file.

Perhaps it doesn't apply to me....? Is this for someone who is converting all of his/her forum posts to text too?

Please explain. Thanks.

B-truE
0 Replies

emmzee

Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:51 pm
Problems logging out after installing mod ...
Hi, I installed the SEO mod today, and everything seems to be working fine. The only problem I've noticed is when I try to log out, using Firefox. When I click the "Log out [ username ]" link, I get dumped back to index.php, and am still logged in. I tried it in IE and it works fine ... just doesn't seem to work in Firefox for some reason.

Of course, this may have been broken before and I just never noticed it? I have v2.0.11 and have not installed any mods besides COPPA removal and a Quick Reply thing ... if there are any suggestions that would be great ... thanks! Awesome mod btw Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:07 am
mysticalwonders wrote:

I have no idea why google is still indexing posting.php, etc..

Because Google will index what it sees links to unless it is allowed to spider the page and finds a noindex meta tag.

So with your robots.txt you prevent Google from spidering those pages and this works because they clearly haven't done so (you can tell because they only list urls for those pages, no content, no cache and no title).

Google found pages where links to those pages were found and indexed the links only.

Don't worry about it. Pages they can actually index will take precedence.

B-truE wrote:
I did step 1 of the mod installation. However, I do not understand step two:

Quote:
If you have Apache and mod_rewrite make the changes in the phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0.txt file.

Perhaps it doesn't apply to me....? Is this for someone who is converting all of his/her forum posts to text too?

Please explain. Thanks.

B-truE

I have no idea what "converting posts to text" means to you, but to explain what that mod does: it makes some links more palatable to search engines.

Log out of able to know and look at the forum and topic links (while logged out) to see what it does.

emmzee wrote:
Hi, I installed the SEO mod today, and everything seems to be working fine. The only problem I've noticed is when I try to log out, using Firefox. When I click the "Log out [ username ]" link, I get dumped back to index.php, and am still logged in. I tried it in IE and it works fine ... just doesn't seem to work in Firefox for some reason.

Of course, this may have been broken before and I just never noticed it? I have v2.0.11 and have not installed any mods besides COPPA removal and a Quick Reply thing ... if there are any suggestions that would be great ... thanks! Awesome mod btw Wink

Sure you are logged in? Not just seeing a cached version of a logged in page?
0 Replies

emmzee

Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:39 am
Quote:
Sure you are logged in? Not just seeing a cached version of a logged in page?

Yup, I am still logged in, I can still access PMs, post, access admin panel, etc ... unfortunately I can't confirm whether or not it was working before putting the mod on ... maybe later today I'll replace all the files that were modified with the originals, temporarily, from my backups ... to see if that makes a difference ...
0 Replies

mysticalwonders

Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:53 pm
Craven so I just have to wait a bit more for the other SEO pages to show up i assume?

From your experience can you give a rough estimate what sort of time frame i'm looking at from the pages you've seen indexed so far?

UPDATE: Today I saw one of the .html indexed...

Everything is fine with the current robots.txt right?

Also on another note...

http://www.phpbboptimization.com/

Are they related to you or are they trying to piggyback on the hard work you've done with this mod?
0 Replies

infoguy26

Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:00 pm
Hi, I have installed this, and mod_rewrite is enabled on my server, but when the links are converted to html files they result in a page not displayed error. How can this be fixed?
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Fri 18 Feb, 2005 03:24 pm
Hi Craven is it possible to add the title of the last topic in the palce of the date for non logged in users?
So the same target link but the text is not the date but the title of the last post modifyed.
Sotty for my bad english and thanks a lot again!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:14 pm
mysticalwonders wrote:
From your experience can you give a rough estimate what sort of time frame i'm looking at from the pages you've seen indexed so far?

The depth and frequency of indexing is primarily based on your pagerank from backlinks.

I don't have any experience with your site so I don't know how fast you will see it get indexed. It's not dependent on my mod, it depends on the site.

My sites tend to get the new pages I monitor indexed within 48 hours. Yours could be faster, slower or not at all and it all depends on how each of your pages rank in search engine algos and how often each page changes.

Quote:

Are they related to you or are they trying to piggyback on the hard work you've done with this mod?

They are copying my mod and trying to profit from it. I have no association with them.

DAIKAMURA wrote:
Hi Craven is it possible to add the title of the last topic in the palce of the date for non logged in users?

Yes. You would have to query the database and then display the title. I don't personally have time or interest to create this but it's possible.
0 Replies

BARACCUS

Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:12 pm
PHPBB Mod Almost Works - What Am I Missing?
I run a website at cancun-discounts dot com. I have implemented the changes per the Mod for PHPBB on this site, and everything is great, except for one thing. When I try to log in or out, I get a page not found. Crying or Very sad

I can browse through the site with the greatest of ease, but as soon as I try to login, I'm done.

My forums are stored under /boards under my domain. Can anybody help me see what little step I have wrong that would cause this?

I sure appreciate your help. Laughing
0 Replies

Harro

Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:16 am
A little while ago I installed the first part of this mod. Already helped to get more pages indexed.
But today I did the second part that uses mod_rewrite.
I didn't have an .htaccess file so I made one and put this code in it:
Code:ewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

But now I get a 403 error for every file/directory saying that I don't have the permissions to see it.
How can I fix that?

[€dit]
Fixed it for a part.
But now guest get a 404 when the want to view a topic.
They can see the index, or suboforums, but not the topics...

[edit]
Nevermind, I fixed it :p
0 Replies

o2

Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
Great mod! I selectivly installed a few, but Im having trouble with removing sessions. I made the changes in sessions.php but I still see sessions IDs every now and then.
0 Replies

hony

Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:40 am
Hi Craven, any compatibility issues with the mod and 2.0.12?

Thanks for the great mod.
0 Replies

Harro

Fri 25 Feb, 2005 04:24 am
o2 wrote:
Great mod! I selectivly installed a few, but Im having trouble with removing sessions. I made the changes in sessions.php but I still see sessions IDs every now and then.

If you are logged in you'll see them.
But do you see them if you browse the forum as a guest?
0 Replies