phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:20 pm
kirtok,

Your htaccess file is turning on rewrites twice.

After the seo mod rules you use this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

remove those two lines and just put the sanity defense rules below the seo rules.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:22 pm
Re: Double Username
hostmysite wrote:
I did all the SEO modifications 3 times to make sure all was done right... however on my main forum page I have the usernames doubled. As in:

BobBob

On the right where it states the username of the last poster. I've searched through every instruction and can not see how this occured. Can anyone please help me?

-Darrell

Darrell,

If you do it right, it works. I suggest restoring your backups and doing it again more carefully.

Not a suggestion that I think you will appreciate but what can I say, the instruction, if followed, work.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:23 pm
huntza wrote:
Hi everythings working except this small thing, can anyone help?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fashionf/public_html/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1027) in /home/fashionf/public_html/includes/page_header.php on line 475

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fashionf/public_html/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1027) in /home/fashionf/public_html/includes/page_header.php on line 477

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fashionf/public_html/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1027) in /home/fashionf/public_html/includes/page_header.php on line 478

These errors usually mean you have some whitespace before or after the closing php tags that you need to remove.

It's unrelated to this mod except that your text editor may have added them when you applied it.
0 Replies

jcambert

Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:48 pm
Craven, any idea when the update will be up? I guess you were working on it. Let me know, and thanks.

JP
0 Replies

Rups

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
The instructions asks to make changes to some tpl. files in subSilver. I am currently not using the subSilver template in my forum.

The code in tpl. files for subSilver are obviously different to those in other templates and much of the code I am being asked to 'find' & 'replace' is simply not there. I hope I am making sense and sorry for the noobish question .. I aint got a clue when it comes to programming.

Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:48 pm
jcambert wrote:
Craven, any idea when the update will be up? I guess you were working on it. Let me know, and thanks.

JP

I just need a free hour sometime, feel free to install the current version as I'll include a changelog and upgrade instructions.

Rups wrote:
The instructions asks to make changes to some tpl. files in subSilver. I am currently not using the subSilver template in my forum.

The code in tpl. files for subSilver are obviously different to those in other templates and much of the code I am being asked to 'find' & 'replace' is simply not there. I hope I am making sense and sorry for the noobish question .. I aint got a clue when it comes to programming.

Thanks

The variety of templates makes this inevitable, look for the template variables and try to use common sense with the surrounding markup.

If you have difficulty with the markup, then post your code and ask for help.
0 Replies

poseoff

Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:39 am
Hi,

This is my first time here. So hello all :wink:
I was wondering if this mod is compatible with the phpbb version 2.0.11? And with language setup other than english?

I've done all the instructions included in the manual, however, all those links in my forum don't seem to make any difference than before. They still display as numerical links just like normal plan phpbb links.

Did I miss something? Or perhaps my hosting server doesn't have apache mod rewrite engine on?

Please help, and thanks very much in advance. Very Happy
0 Replies

persianmind

Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
hello craven

in this site this robots.txt used

Code: 1 User-agent: *
2 Disallow: /forums/admin/
3 Disallow: /forums/db/
4 Disallow: /forums/files/
5 Disallow: /forums/images/
6 Disallow: /forums/includes/
7 Disallow: /forums/language/
8 Disallow: /forums/spelling/
9 Disallow: /forums/templates/
10 Disallow: /forums/common.php
11 Disallow: /forums/config.php
12 Disallow: /forums/glance_config.php
13 Disallow: /forums/groupcp.php
14 Disallow: /forums/memberlist.php
15 Disallow: /forums/mini_cal.php
16 Disallow: /forums/modcp.php
17 Disallow: /forums/posting.php
18 Disallow: /forums/profile.php
19 Disallow: /forums/printview.php
20 Disallow: /forums/privmsg.php
21 Disallow: /forums/viewonline.php
22 Disallow: /forums/faq.php
23 Disallow: /forums/a2k-post
24 Disallow: /forums/a2k-view-poll
25 Disallow: /forums/updates-topic.html
26 Disallow: /forums/stop-updates-topic.html
27 Disallow: /forums/ptopic
28 Disallow: /forums/ntopic
29 Disallow: /directory.php
30 Disallow: /go/
31 Disallow: /gallery/
32 Disallow: /images/
33 Disallow: /devshed/
34 Disallow: /aa_fetch/
35 Disallow: /includes/
36 Disallow: /privacy.php
37 Disallow: /disclaimer.php
38 Disallow: /mail.php
39 Disallow: /rptd-pm.php
40 Disallow: /contact.php
41 Disallow: /cgi-bin/links/
42 Disallow: /report.php
43 Disallow: /reported.php
44 Disallow: /area51/
45 Disallow: /album/

but in able2know mod this robots.txt used

Code: Disallow: forum/post-*.html$
Disallow: forum/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forum/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: forum/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: forum/ntopic*.html$

but 2nd robots.txt file is not valid .
Although Google supports wildcards in the Disallow field, it is nonstandard
you can check it in this site robots.txt validator

http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/robotcheck.cgi
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
poseoff wrote:

I was wondering if this mod is compatible with the phpbb version 2.0.11?

Yes

Quote:
And with language setup other than english?

Yes

Quote:
I've done all the instructions included in the manual, however, all those links in my forum don't seem to make any difference than before. They still display as numerical links just like normal plan phpbb links.

Log out and test it.

persianmind wrote:

but 2nd robots.txt file is not valid .
Although Google supports wildcards in the Disallow field, it is nonstandard
you can check it in this site robots.txt validator

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1134609#1134609
0 Replies

jcambert

Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
Any word yet on the update you have been working on?
JP
0 Replies

poseoff

Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:32 pm
craven wrote:

Quote:

Log out and test it.

Ok, I've redone everything from scratch again, and it works now.
Do we have to log out in order to see if this seo mod working?
Coz whenever, I'm logged in, the links seem to get back to normal again.

Also, would it be better to let anonymous user to be able to read the whole forum? Since this will also let google spider crawls all over the forum?

Thanks very much again.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:42 pm
poseoff wrote:

Do we have to log out in order to see if this seo mod working?

Most of the mod are effective only for guests, as all search engine spiders are guests.

Quote:
Also, would it be better to let anonymous user to be able to read the whole forum? Since this will also let google spider crawls all over the forum?

If you want the content to bring in search engine visitors, yes.
0 Replies

graziano

Fri 4 Feb, 2005 03:30 am
Hello

I applied latest phpbb seo mod . I have only 1 problem , recently

Edit (Moderator): Url removed

report a google error

"We're sorry... ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that your computer or network has been infected. "

I know google started to show this , to reduce Sainty damages ,
however my web site is not more vulnerable to Sainty.

So how to avoid this google warning ?
I wish to know the number of pages indexed .

I have seen also phpbb has this problem
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-04,GGLD:en&q=allinurl%3Aphpbb%2Ecom+site%3Awww%2Ephpbb%2Ecom

So how to avoid this google warning ? Is there a solution ?
Able2know seems that is not receiving the google warning
, every suggestion will be appreciated a lot . Thank you.

Edit (Moderator): URL removed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:29 am
graziano,

That is Google limiting the queries to avoid being perceived as a exploit vector.

It has nothing to do with this mod and is a limitation google has put in place.
0 Replies

mysticalwonders

Wed 9 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
question
Hi,

I implemented the entire SEO mod and it works good.

So far i'm waiting for google to start doing it's deep crawl.

Anyway I have a question.

I want to install a donation mod on my site similar to:

http://www.loewen.com.sg/bbs/

Would installing this mod conflict with the principles of the proper SEO as outlined in your mod?

I really want to install this donation mod so please tell me how I can tweak it so it will not degrade all the hard work done by your SEO mod.

You can download a copy of the donation mod at:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3660

Bear in mind that I think guests should be able to see the donation mod as it will encourage donations among guests as well however the links to the profile of the donors, etc can be taken out as you advise that will hinder google. Anyway, you will know what are the best things to do.

I have someone who installs the mods for me and he is very verse at installing mods so he will be the one doing it for me.

If you can have a look at the mod and give me instructions for me to foward to my MOD guy then i'd be happy!

I really admire this SEO mod of yours.

Hope you can help
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 9 Feb, 2005 10:14 pm
I'm sorry but I do not support other people's mods. I am unfamiliar with that mod and lack the time and desire to familiarize myself with code that I don't plan to use.
0 Replies

B-truE

Sat 12 Feb, 2005 12:46 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I'm sorry but I do not support other people's mods. I am unfamiliar with that mod and lack the time and desire to familiarize myself with code that I don't plan to use.

I apologize for asking this in advance, but I just don't have the time to read through 108+ forum pages (in this thread) to figure this all out.

How can I get a list of instructions to modify a phpBB 2.011 forum for Google (et al) optimization?

I applied your mods a couple of years ago, but have recently upgraded to 2.011, so I have to redo it...

Thanks...

B-truE
0 Replies

MattS

Sat 12 Feb, 2005 08:11 pm
B-truE wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

I apologize for asking this in advance, but I just don't have the time to read through 108+ forum pages (in this thread) to figure this all out.

How can I get a list of instructions to modify a phpBB 2.011 forum for Google (et al) optimization?

I applied your mods a couple of years ago, but have recently upgraded to 2.011, so I have to redo it...

Thanks...

B-truE

The mod is the instructions. It tells you which files to open, and which lines to edit.
0 Replies

B-truE

Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:13 am
MattS wrote:

The mod is the instructions. It tells you which files to open, and which lines to edit.

I want the full, up-to-date, in one place, MOD that will work with phpBB 2.011.

Where is the mod?

Thanks.
0 Replies

993ti

Sun 13 Feb, 2005 07:06 pm
Check the first page.....
0 Replies