phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:39 pm
The code included in the mod is correct, unless your base directory is setup in an unconventional way.
0 Replies

majorflam

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 01:48 pm
I have installed this mod, and look forwards to the results.

I have had a problem with the static url part, unfortunately. The problem is this:

1. Do I have to create the *.access files, because I do not seem to have them.

2. I am running 2 websites from one common webspace. I do this by having 2 seperate domains, one using the webspace root, and one going to a sub-directory within the root. Would the *.access files affect both domains? If they do, I will install the mod for both my boards, although I only really need it installed on one.

3. I read that the edits to the sessions.php will prevent guests from posting on my site, but after installation I have been able to post as a guest! Have I done something wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any reply/help you can offer.

I am running phpBB2 version 2.0.11 on both my boards.
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 06:26 pm
Hi Craven i have a little problem:
i made the mod rewrite available also for logged in users ( so everyone -logged in or logged out - can see only html pages ) and all seem to work fine except one thing:
the function "newest" ( for exemple
../about861.html&view=newest )
does NOT seem to work properly: it goes always to the FIRST message of the 3d and NOT to the real newest messages.
If i dont apply the mod rewrite all works fine..
im sure that i applied this mod in the correct way so i cant find where is the problem.
Can u help me please???
Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
majorflam wrote:

1. Do I have to create the *.access files, because I do not seem to have them.

If you do not have it then you need to create it.

Quote:
2. I am running 2 websites from one common webspace. I do this by having 2 seperate domains, one using the webspace root, and one going to a sub-directory within the root. Would the *.access files affect both domains? If they do, I will install the mod for both my boards, although I only really need it installed on one.

It depends on the server configuration and the existence of other .htaccess files.

It would be easier for you to test it than for me to type out all the possible scenarios.

Quote:
3. I read that the edits to the sessions.php will prevent guests from posting on my site, but after installation I have been able to post as a guest! Have I done something wrong?

If you accept cookies it works.

DAIKAMURA wrote:
i made the mod rewrite available also for logged in users ( so everyone -logged in or logged out - can see only html pages ) and all seem to work fine except one thing:
does NOT seem to work properly: it goes always to the FIRST message of the 3d and NOT to the real newest messages.
im sure that i applied this mod in the correct way so i cant find where is the problem.
Can u help me please???
Thanks!

The static urls are done only for guests because of a variety of such reasons. You changed the mod from working to not working.

So, you broke it, you fix it. ;-)

In the future I will do a version to support logged in users with static pages. I currently do not have time to do so and am waiting for 2.2 anyway.
0 Replies

majorflam

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 09:03 pm
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Craven. I will test the htaccess configurations later.

One final question (if you don't mind my labouring the point), how much of an impact do the static url's make to the mod? Are they a must?

TIA.

MF
0 Replies

hariraghavan

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 10:55 pm
.htaccess working
Hi Craven,

I tried with the following code and it is working fine. But it is same code which is used previously and not worked. Then only I tried something and got the 404 error.

Anyway it working now. Thanks a lot for your code.

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 26 Dec, 2004 11:16 pm
That's not the same code. Your earlier code had a lot of other stuff.

In any case I'm glad it's working for you.
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Mon 27 Dec, 2004 02:37 am
Quote:
Can u help me please???
Thanks

The static urls are done only for guests because of a variety of such reasons. You changed the mod from working to not working.

So, you broke it, you fix it. ;-)

In the future I will do a version to support logged in users with static pages. I currently do not have time to do so and am waiting for 2.2 anyway.

I changed this mod only for that reason:
if a logged in user wants to link my site he will probably link the php adress ( cause is the php adress that he sees )and maybe this is NOT good for google cause he will spider the html version of my site and not the php one....
or maybe is in PR terms absolutely the same thing??
If all my site is in html ( so for logged in and logged out users ) every user wants to link me will link the correct html adress...
that's why i wanted to change your mod.
So do u think that even a php incoming link is the same think in PR terms that an html one??
Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:00 pm
DAIKAMURA wrote:
I changed this mod only for that reason

But it was the way it was prior to the change because of the types of issues you have seen (and more that you will see if you keep it that way).

I understand that you see some benefit to it, so at this point I can only tell you to evaluate your benefits against its downsides and:

a) live with the problems you created with the change you wanted

b) fix the problems your change created

or

c) wait for a future version of this mod in which I release static url support for logged in users.

I have said many times that I would not have the time to do so until after phpbb 2.2 goes out of beta.
0 Replies

Michael Medeiros

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm
Update to PhpBB 2.0.11
I did the Update to the newest PhpBB. Primarily, this was because of the Hack Worm scare attacking Bulletin Boards.

Although the code is similar. The re-write does not work on the update.

I became somewhat familiar with the fundementals of this mod. However, I cannot come to understand why the updated version is not generating the $urlout part on the re-write.

I am going to continue to investigate this. But I thought someone may be able to enlighten me from here.

Craven,
Thanks for sharing this modification. I cannot believe how much support you have given for this, and the same questions repetatively.
0 Replies

Michael Medeiros

Fri 31 Dec, 2004 01:25 pm
I got it working, but my method was a bit more unconventional than yours.

I physically went and modified the url generation portion, rather than letting php automatically do this, (hard coded) I guess you could say.

I read it over and over, and could not grasp where the problem lied with the update.

All is well that ends well.

Craven, thanks for the dyanmite mod. You put some serious effort and testing into this, I would imagine.

Good luck everyone.
0 Replies

soulstice99

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:30 am
Congratulations...
Congratulations to those who got it working!!!!!!! Very Happy

Now it's time to share the wealth. Can you post the specific changes you made?

Is there an updated version of the mod that incorporates all the changes made since post 1 of this topic?

I think that might help prevent oft-repeated questions (and the aggravation of answering them). Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Michael Medeiros

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:21 am
Quote:
I got it working, but my method was a bit more unconventional than yours.

I physically went and modified the url generation portion, rather than letting php automatically do this, (hard coded) I guess you could say.
0 Replies

BZebra

Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:50 pm
Unlinking of Map-MOD URLs for guests
Hello,

I have the Map-MOD installed on my forum. That means I have links to the Map on viewtopic.php under every users postcount.

How can I unlink them, so that the links are only visible for logged in users?

Code in der viewtopic_body.tpl:

Code:<!-- BEGIN switch_map -->
<a href="{postrow.switch_map.U_MAP}" class="gensmall">{postrow.POSTER_FROM}</a>
<!-- END switch_map -->
<!-- BEGIN switch_no_map -->
{postrow.POSTER_FROM}
<!-- END switch_no_map -->

Code in viewtopic.php

Code:'U_POST_ID' => $postrow[$i]['post_id'])
);

//begin map MOD
if (($poster_from != '') && ((float)$postrow[$i]['longitude'] != 0)) {
$template->assign_block_vars('postrow.switch_map', array(
'U_MAP' => append_sid("map.$phpEx?highlight=".$postrow[$i]['user_id'])
));
}
else {
$template->assign_block_vars('postrow.switch_no_map', array());
}
//end map MOD

Thanks a lot,
BZebra
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:24 pm
Re: Congratulations...
soulstice99 wrote:
Is there an updated version of the mod that incorporates all the changes made since post 1 of this topic?

I think that might help prevent oft-repeated questions (and the aggravation of answering them). Rolling Eyes

The code available to download is fully functional code, and doesn't require modification.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 2 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
Re: Unlinking of Map-MOD URLs for guests
BZebra wrote:
Hello,

I have the Map-MOD installed on my forum. That means I have links to the Map on viewtopic.php under every users postcount.

How can I unlink them, so that the links are only visible for logged in users?

This mod does not deal with "MAP-Mod" so please ask this in a separate thread (if I have time I'll answer it there).
0 Replies

obiku

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:50 am
The code that has to be in the .htaccess, where do I have to put it. At the beginning of the .htaccess or doesn't matter where/ This because I already have somthing in the .htacces file. This is what's in my .htaccess file at this moment
Code:
php_value max_execution_time 300

ErrorDocument 401 /errors.php?error=401
ErrorDocument 403 /errors.php?error=403
ErrorDocument 404 /errors.php?error=404
ErrorDocument 500 /errors.php?error=500
0 Replies

propagandhi

Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:00 am
i'm interested in adding banners on a rotation to my forum, will it affect the seo and where do i put it? I also want one on the footer
0 Replies

benevolent001

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
will this work with version 2.0.11
hello
thanks for this great mod
i wanted to know will this work on the latest version of phpbb 2.0.11
i tried to install this but found that the sequence of mod index.php file is different to what the code lines exists in the newset version

lets say in new page we have code
A
B
C

and we have to changeB and C

the mode sometime say to change

C first and then B

will this make any difference
sorry if this is foolish question...but just wanted to confirm before i mess up with my board

Thanks
0 Replies

benevolent001

Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:05 pm
i applied this mod to my website and now it takes no where...each forum on subforum on cliclin returns to main page again...what wrong i might have done

thanks
0 Replies