phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:30 pm
Yes, ...

****, huge earthquake gotta run.
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:54 pm
!!!!! Hope you're ok, Craven!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:09 pm
I'm fine, went home for the day. I bet it wasn't as bad as it felt (I was 22 floors up).

---------

Anywho, what I was saying is that from what I read yes you seem to be right.
0 Replies

Eistee

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:17 am
Hello,

i spent some time understanding and modifiying the SEO mod. NOw i have noticed a problem on my board:

Several rewrite rules seem to be useless because phpbb has urls with "&" in it, instead of "&". So function replace_for_mod_rewrite don't recognize this urls. I recognized it forst with urls form search.php with &highlight=xxx.

Is it a problem of my phpbb or a general problem?

URL: [removed by myself *G*]
0 Replies

Christian Fecteau

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 06:32 am
Eistee is right. The MOD doesn't work well with search.php

One thing is that the second highlighted term is not highlighted at all.

Since I disallow search.php in robots.txt, is it possible to fiddle the code and disable URL rewriting for search results in guest mode? I doubt it. I'll have a look at the code before applying the MOD to my main board.... and I'll get back to you.
0 Replies

Eistee

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
So, i spent my day checking this problem.

First i figured out it was not a & problem, there were some bugs in the replace function. After that i fixed the useless/buggy rewrite entries.

Now i got everything to wark, even with highlight and correct urls like thread11111.html?highlight=word1+word2

I will do some final tests and reorder the rewrite rules for performance optimization.

If Craven or anyone else wants, i will post my changes here.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
I've been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to work on this, feel free to post the code and I'll have a look at it later.
0 Replies

Eistee

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:20 am
Ok, first, my code is modified for my needs and a german site, but i think you will be able to figure out the improvements for your version of the mod:

replace function:

Code:$urlin =
array(
$prefix . '(?<!/)main.php"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewforum.php\?f=([0-9]*)&topicdays=([0-9]*)&start=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewforum.php\?f=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9\+]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&view=previous"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&view=next"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&postdays=([0-9]*)&postorder=([a-zA-Z]*)&vote=viewresult"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&postdays=([0-9]*)&postorder=([a-zA-Z]*)&start=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&postdays=([0-9]*)&postorder=([a-zA-Z]*)&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9\+]*)&start=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&start=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?p=([0-9]*)"|',
$prefix . '(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?p=([0-9]*)#([0-9]*)"|',
);

$urlout = array(
"forums.html",
"viewforum\\1-\\2-\\3.html",
"forum\\1.html",
"thema\\1.html?highlight=\\2",
"ptopic\\1.html",
"ntopic\\1.html",
"thema-umfrage\\1-\\2-\\3.html",
"thema\\1-\\2-\\3-\\4.html",
"thema\\1-\\2-\\3-\\5.html?highlight=\\4",
"thema\\1-\\2.html",
"thema\\1.html",
"beitrag\\1.html",
"beitrag\\1.html#\\2",
);

.htaccess:

Code:RewriteRule ^forums.html main\.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^beitrag([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum([0-9]*)\.html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^viewforum([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)\.html viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^highlight=(.*)$
RewriteRule ^thema([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=%1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^thema([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^highlight=(.*)$
RewriteRule ^thema([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4&highlight=%1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^thema([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^thema([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^thema-umfrage([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*)\.html viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

If you need futher explanations, ask Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
I'll have a look at it later, but if you note which are changes it will spare me the time of a manual diff (right now it's fresher in your memory than mine, I'd have to manually diff it against my code).
0 Replies

Eistee

Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:29 am
This is nearly impossible, because i changed static file names to german words.

Out from my mind i added support for the post urls mit # and fixed all longer rewrite things, especially with highlight with one or more words. Highlight is legally added with ?highlight=xxx because i think topic7777.html&highlight=xxx is no valid url syntax?

EDIT: You can check functionality on my page, see profile.
0 Replies

sandiego

Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:28 am
Trying to get a static page for the forum but it isn't there
Hello. I am NEW NEW NEW to all this mod and php stuff. I rewrote the files and followed instructions in the phpBB static URLs mod _rewrite.txt file and updated everything and the htaccess and robots and all and when i went to my forum (still a new forum) I clicked on the "test forum 1" that is automatically in there and it attempted to take me to forum/forum-1.html but it had an error saying page was not found. ( the shortcut when i moused over the link shows "mydomain.com/forum/forum-1.html&sid=ad45e7a917c7d0985255083baa530266")

SOOOO.. my question is, where did I go wrong? Do I have to complete the "Able2Know.com Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0.txt" as well for the mod rewrite to work correctly?

Any ideas or help is much apprecaited!

-Rus
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:45 pm
You probably did not follow the mod_rewrite instructions but SIDs might cause problems with the URLs, I don't have time to investigate but check the location of your htaccess file first, is it in the same directory as the forums?

That should be your first step.
0 Replies

forte

Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:25 am
phpBB SEO Page title
Hi we have

<title>{PAGE_TITLE} UK Piano Page</title> in the overall header which to me seems a better way than <title>UK Piano Page {PAGE_TITLE} </title>

The problem we seem to have when the pages is rendered we get a leading dash
<title> - Broadwood piano UK Piano Page</title> which is not helpful as far as the SE go how can we get rid of the leading -

Thanks

Barrie,
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:42 pm
Hi,

In viewtopic:

Find (or similar):

$page_title = $lang['View_topic'] .' - ' . $topic_title;

You probably have removed the first part, just make it like this:

$page_title = $topic_title;
0 Replies

sandiego

Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:09 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
You probably did not follow the mod_rewrite instructions but SIDs might cause problems with the URLs, I don't have time to investigate but check the location of your htaccess file first, is it in the same directory as the forums?

That should be your first step.

Your first step worked wonders! - thank you for your time sir.
0 Replies

Eistee

Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:08 am
@Craven de Kere

Have you allready checked my changes?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:22 am
No, I have not yet had a chance to.
0 Replies

sandiego

Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:35 pm
login problems
Everything seems to be set up now and done just as instructed and i get login problems. Everything looks GREAT! but when login (or logout), it has a
Quote:
The page cannot be found
404 error. It DOES log me in and out if I get back to the page I was on (it shows I am logged in or out at the top) Any thoughts?Has anyone seen anything like this? Comments appreciated.
Thankx!!!
0 Replies

ZiadT

Wed 23 Jun, 2004 02:08 am
Re: phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SE
Craven de Kere wrote:
Note: You must have Apache and mod_rewrite for the static URLs.

[code]<a href="http://www.able2know.com" target="_blank">Ask an Expert</a>[/code]

How can I enable these on my server ?
0 Replies

Webby

Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:27 am
Hi guys,
I just installed the mod and it is working fine. I was however unaware that as soon as you login, the mod_rewrite no longer functions and the links resort back to the old format (viewtopic.php?...).
This causes problem because although Google only gets the rewrited urls, many will find an interesting post whilst logged in and link to it from an external site. This means a. Google will find both versions which means duplicated content (you could block viewtopic with robots.txt though I guess) and b. The page rank from other pages to a specific thread will be to the wrong url. Basically what I'm asking is whether or not i tis possible to have the mod_rewrite functioning in logged in mode as well as logged out.

Cheers
Alan
0 Replies