phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Joe Belmaati

Mon 24 May, 2004 11:03 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Joe,

Please do not use this thread to give updates or ask about Google listings, it's for support for specific code.

Many apologies. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 24 May, 2004 11:07 am
No prob Joe, the thing is that this mod enables but does not ensure indexing.

You probably need more backlinks if you want to get indexed. Most search engines will require at least a few backlinks before they index.
0 Replies

tthome

Thu 27 May, 2004 08:02 am
I'm super new to modding my forum, atleast on my own, I am going to attempt the SEO MOD in hopes that google or any other search engine will spider it and log it properly. I found out that the SID isn't the best thing to have on PHPBB...so this is my first post here and I'm very intimidated by all the coding that's going on, its way over my head, but hey I'll try.

I have a question about the SEO mod and how it pertains to listing the moderators to guests. I understand that when a guest visits the moderators will not be listed which I find a good idea, but I do want the moderators to be listed once a member logs in. I did read the readme file... Smile that came with SEO Mod but once I got to the thread about the moderators being visible to logged in members things got a little too much for me. Can someone please post the final mod to the original SEO code that will allow my members to see the moderators name when they are logged in...? Embarrassed

Thanks...

Tim
0 Replies

tthome

Fri 28 May, 2004 09:14 am
one more ?tion to add to the one above...

I can't get the moderator listing to work when a user logs in. According to the SEO readme there is a little modification that can be done so members when loggedin will see the moderators of each forum as they normall would. HEre is the code I placed in the index.php file....what am I doing wrong

/*
if ( ( count($forum_moderators[$forum_id]) > 0 ) and ( $userdata['session_logged_in'] ) )
{
$l_moderators = ( count($forum_moderators[$forum_id]) == 1 ) ? $lang['Moderator'] : $lang['Moderators'];
$moderator_list = implode(', ', $forum_moderators[$forum_id]);
}
else
{
$l_moderators = ' ';
$moderator_list = ' ';
}
*/

in my best Atari guantlet voice "tthome needs food badly"

Thanks guys...tim.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 28 May, 2004 10:48 am
If you want the mods to appear when logged in you'll have to skip the tpl changes that remove them AND use that code.
0 Replies

tthome

Fri 28 May, 2004 09:50 pm
Thanks Craven, I think I can handle that...I'll give it a try.. Smile
0 Replies

azz

Sat 29 May, 2004 08:07 pm
Hi Craven

Hope all is well.

I installed your mod-re-write on a test forum, however it is not working :-(

Mouse-over a forum shows the html extension, for eg: BlahBlah***.co.uk/chat/forum-1.html, however clicking on it brings up a 404:

"Not Found
The requested URL /chat/forum-2.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Does this mean we do not have mod-rewrite enabled?
I did not upload the robots.txt as it was a test forum, I'm assuming this wouldn't make a difference tho(?).

Also, can you let me know which bit of your code takes out the 'board name' out of the title in the viewforum and viewtopic pages? Thanks.
0 Replies

tthome

Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:12 am
If you want the mods to appear when logged in you'll have to skip the tpl changes that remove them AND use that code.
Quote:

cdk...

Just wanted you to know that your solutions to get the moderators viewable when users log on is working. THX.... Very Happy
0 Replies

Farmernate

Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:23 am
azz wrote:
Hi Craven

Hope all is well.

I installed your mod-re-write on a test forum, however it is not working :-(

Mouse-over a forum shows the html extension, for eg: BlahBlah***.co.uk/chat/forum-1.html, however clicking on it brings up a 404:

"Not Found
The requested URL /chat/forum-2.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Does this mean we do not have mod-rewrite enabled?
I did not upload the robots.txt as it was a test forum, I'm assuming this wouldn't make a difference tho(?).

Also, can you let me know which bit of your code takes out the 'board name' out of the title in the viewforum and viewtopic pages? Thanks.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption that mod-rewrite is probably not installed on your server, you can contact your hosting company to confirm this. The robots.txt is only for the robots and would not affect the way that users view your website. The code that takes away the board name is below:

Code:#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

<title>{SITENAME} :: {PAGE_TITLE}</title>

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------
#

<title>{PAGE_TITLE}</title>

Hope this helps...
0 Replies

azz

Tue 1 Jun, 2004 10:41 am
Thanks Farmermate.. However I could not find the code.. Which Files should I be looking in?

I looked in viewforum and viewtopic... only thing I found similar, was this in the viewforum file:

Code:
$nav_links['up'] = array(
'url' => append_sid('index.'.$phpEx),
'title' => sprintf($lang['Forum_Index'], $board_config['sitename'])

Anygood?
0 Replies

Farmernate

Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:47 am
You should look for the code in my last post in templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
0 Replies

zoomsan

Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:19 am
Hey Craven,

How ya been?

Well the mod is working well.

I have a question. I know you've said a couple times you are going to fashion the filenames in a way similar to the page title.

ex page-title-here.html.

My question is that what happens to the page rank of the nwq filenames?

I assume a mod_rewrite will be used, but I could be wrong, in order to massively transfer the old files pageranks to the new page-title-name.html pages.

I guess the major thing I was wondering is will the new pages have to sit at pagerank zero for a while during the time that google tracks the 301 redirect before its pr update.

Also, it appiles to a site I bought because I am unsure how to go about reorginizing it without losing pagerank - I know I could probably use 301 redirects and I know probably in the htaccess. But I remembered that you mentioned new filenames in this mod, so I know you also have something up your sleeve for your great site(s).

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction perhaps to resources that would help me on this.

Regards,

zm
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
zoomsan wrote:
Hey Craven,

How ya been?

Busy.

Quote:
My question is that what happens to the page rank of the nwq filenames?

The same thing that happens when new pages are uploaded.

Sometimes Google will guess at pagerank before they calculate it (basic explanation of this algo is one less than the upper directory has).

Quote:
I assume a mod_rewrite will be used, but I could be wrong, in order to massively transfer the old files pageranks to the new page-title-name.html pages.

Nah, that would be up to the individuals, see the old URLs will still work. Transferring pagerank would take just as long as getting the new pagerank calculated for most well-ranked sites.

Quote:
I guess the major thing I was wondering is will the new pages have to sit at pagerank zero for a while during the time that google tracks the 301 redirect before its pr update.

Yes, but Google might guess at the pagerank till then. Thing is, this is no big deal, the old pages will still work as they are rewritten URLs and the rules can be kept.
0 Replies

azz

Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:51 pm
Farmernate wrote:
You should look for the code in my last post in templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl

Thanks you're a star!
0 Replies

stanleyb23

Sat 5 Jun, 2004 09:09 pm
.htaccess file on my server has a line giving trouble
Hello all,

First I have to say I really like this mod. Think it will give me a lot of extra visitors!

I have a problem with my .htaccess file. This file already was on my server in the directory _vti_cnf and looked like this:

Code:<Limit GET POST PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>

Does it mean my server doesnt allow me to do the rewrite?

I tried a lot of things, without the first line with it, in the forum directory but it doesnt help...

Thnx for your answers!

Greetz from the Netherlands
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:40 pm
Re: .htaccess file on my server has a line giving trouble
stanleyb23 wrote:

I have a problem with my .htaccess file. This file already was on my server in the directory _vti_cnf and looked like this:

Code:<Limit GET POST PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>

No.
0 Replies

Marc R

Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:45 am
Hi guys, awesome mod and something I have needed for a long time.
I was a little concerned as I have a modded phpbb and also a skin installed which always seems to make life difficult. (Helius)

I do understand that your cannot support other authors mods, but have installed the entire mod other than one file which is slightly different and I am hoping someone can offer assistance with.

The file is viewtopic_body.tpl and I will post up the parts that I cannot make sense of. I really would appreciate the help and hope I haven't gone against any of your forum guidelines.

If there is any chance you can tell me what needs modifying in my version of the file to make it work with your mod it would be great.
I have saved my file as a TXT file as it was way too long to post. Edit (Moderator): Link removed.

Any help would be awesome guys.

Secondly...

Can anyone tell me what a correct robots.txt file should include/disallow in regards to this mod and phpbb in general. Are there any directories I should be disallowing in terms of security with phpBB and in particular this mod seeing as it will allow my entire forum structure to be indexed?

Thanks in advance.

(Mods - if linking to a text file externally is not allowed, please let me know and I will post the code in here, just thought it was a tad too long)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:20 am
Marc_R wrote:

Can anyone tell me what a correct robots.txt file should include/disallow in regards to this mod and phpbb in general.

Anything you don't want indexed. For e.g. the posting page is pretty worthless to have indexed.

Quote:
Are there any directories I should be disallowing in terms of security with phpBB and in particular this mod seeing as it will allow my entire forum structure to be indexed?

If it's a security issue, then robots.txt is not the solution. robots.txt prevents spidering, if you don't want people to see stuff you need to do more than just prevent spidering.

Quote:

(Mods - if linking to a text file externally is not allowed, please let me know and I will post the code in here, just thought it was a tad too long)

If you want help, it might be better to be more specific.

Post the code changes you can't find. Post your code. Diff your code from vanilla phpBB and post the differences.

See, I for one don't have time to pore over someone else's code for free today. I've enough code to read from people who pay me so my free help needs to be specific and to the point.

I suspect most people who know enough to help you will have similar time constraints and since coding is tedious work ya need to cut down on the code you ask people to audit.
0 Replies

Marc R

Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:20 pm
Fair enough. Thanks for your response.
0 Replies

Christian Fecteau

Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:34 am
First of all, thanks a million for that MOD. I intsalled it yesterday on a clean (no other MODs) 2.0.8. It works numero uno.

I do however noticed a few things, and correct me if I'm wrong.

If all the forums are set to "registered only" for posting and with the MOD, then there's no "watch/unwatch this topic" links as well as no "view previous/next topic" links on a topic page in guest mode. So these lines in robots.txt and .htaccess are therefore useless :
Code:
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

I think that front slashes are missing in the robots.txt piece of code, so I'm adding them here:
Code:
Disallow: /forums/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /forums/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /forums/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: /forums/ntopic*.html$

I also noticed that the "Mark all topics read" link is converted to an html extension but isn't this link useless for search engines? So I've added this to my robots.txt:
Code:
Disallow: /forums/mark-forum*.html$

So am I right?

C.
0 Replies