phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Joe Belmaati

Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:03 am
Apologies in advance, if my question has been covered before (I've only gotten to page 9 of this thread - so far).

I just installed the SEO mod, and I wanted to hear if the following would be a problem: I want to (re-)install a mod that keeps topic view counts from increasing when the author of a post views his/her own post.

Here is the code:

Code:##############################################################
## MOD Title: Stop Author View Increase
## MOD Author: DanielT < [email protected] > (Daniel Taylor) http://www.danielt.com
## MOD Description: Does not increase viewed count when author is viewing his/her own topic
## MOD Version: 1.0.1
##
## Installation Level: easy
## Installation Time: ~1 Minutes
## Files To Edit: viewtopic.php
## Included Files: n/a
##############################################################
## For Security Purposes, Please Check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the
## latest version of this MOD. Downloading this MOD from other sites could cause malicious code
## to enter into your phpBB Forum. As such, phpBB will not offer support for MOD's not offered
## in our MOD-Database, located at: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
## Author Notes: n/a
## Before Adding This MOD To Your Forum, You Should Back Up All Files Related To This MOD
#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
viewtopic.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
$sql = "UPDATE " . TOPICS_TABLE . "
SET topic_views = topic_views + 1
WHERE topic_id = $topic_id";
if ( !$db->sql_query($sql) )
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Could not update topic views.", '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------
#
if (!($postrow[0]['user_id'] == $userdata['user_id'])) {

$sql = "UPDATE " . TOPICS_TABLE . "
SET topic_views = topic_views + 1
WHERE topic_id = $topic_id";
if ( !$db->sql_query($sql) )
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Could not update topic views.", '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}

}
#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
#
# EoM

This mod seems to have been disappeared with the implementation of the SEO mod. Is there anyway for the two to co-exist? If so, how would I modify the code to get the best results?

Thank you very much,

Joe Belmaati
Copenhagen Denmark
0 Replies

elis

Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:07 am
Just wanted to say thanks to Craven de Kere for his mod. This morning googlebot started to crawl more then just the first page of my site. Took only three days! It haven't crawled many topics jet, but it have at least started. :-)

Joe: I have the SAVI mod installed and have no problems with it. I think I found it at phpbb.com. SAVI = Stop Author View Increase.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:15 am
elis wrote:

Does not work:
17) Link the user post count to a search of the user's posts

Robots will get redirected to login page and will not see the list.

Indeed, if you are making people log in for the search page search engines will not see it.

You should remove either teh link to the post count search or the code that prevents visitors from viewing search.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:19 am
Joe Belmaati wrote:
.....This mod seems to have been disappeared with the implementation of the SEO mod. Is there anyway for the two to co-exist? If so, how would I modify the code to get the best results?

Thank you very much,

Joe Belmaati
Copenhagen Denmark

That mod doesn't seem to touch anything near the code that my mod does and shouldn't conflict.

If anything, I'd say it disappeared because you uploaded files that did not have that mod installed.
0 Replies

Joe Belmaati

Mon 26 Apr, 2004 02:09 pm
MY mistake. I think I must have been messing with other mods that replaced that particular piece of content. I installed the SEO mod about 24 hours ago. I am eagerly awaiting google results in a couple of weeks.

If you don't mind a question from a noob - where do I find google page ranking? I see people on this thread referring to their pages having a ranking of, say 3, where would this information be obtainable from?

Sincerely, and thank you in advance,
Joe Belmaati
Copenhagen Denmark
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 26 Apr, 2004 02:42 pm
Joe Belmaati wrote:
If you don't mind a question from a noob - where do I find google page ranking? I see people on this thread referring to their pages having a ranking of, say 3, where would this information be obtainable from?

The most reliable way to obtain a page's ranking is using the Google toolbar.
0 Replies

nookie123

Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
New to phpBB2
hi craven, i have just inputted seo 2.0.0 in my forum. Here are some questions for you coz i think i may have stuffed up somewhere.

q1) #
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------
#

/*/

/*/ This means to comment the whole code, right?

q2) I have just seen my forum after the installation. The forum topics are all gone after i have installed the mod. normal ? Or stuffed up somewhere?

q3)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:22 pm
Re: New to phpBB2
nookie123 wrote:

/*/ This means to comment the whole code, right?

That means to comment until the next occurance of it, both together basically mean to comment out that code block.

Quote:
I have just seen my forum after the installation. The forum topics are all gone after i have installed the mod. normal ? Or stuffed up somewhere?

Definitely not normal, and also not really something that can go wrong with the mod.

The mod makes no database changes so if the topics are actually gone then something else happened.

If the problem is that the links to the topics are missing then it's possible that it was an error when applying the mod code.
0 Replies

Joe Belmaati

Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:26 am
Craven,
completely off topic, and just a gentle notification that the topic reply emails specify that a user can un-subscribe to this topic by clicking the "stop watching this topic" link. Looks like you have changed your [lang] file to "Turn email updates off".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:23 pm
Good point, I'll add standardization of my verbiage to my to-do list. Thanks.
0 Replies

zoomsan

Sun 2 May, 2004 01:21 am
hmm...

i am wondering how hard it would be to implement the post-names-like-this.html into the mod_rewrite rules. i know it was done, like said before, in the inferior google archives mod on phpbb forums.

any ideas? i think thise would make this cool mod even better.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 2 May, 2004 03:09 am
I plan on doing it in a future release.
0 Replies

zoomsan

Sun 2 May, 2004 11:59 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I plan on doing it in a future release.
you are the shizat craven.
0 Replies

sdamain

Sun 2 May, 2004 01:24 pm
Here is my forum : Edit (Moderator): Link removed
I followed the instructions to apply UR on my forum but I doesn't work.
When I click on a link on my home page I receive a 404 error page.

Here is my .htaccess file :

Code:RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]

Could someone check and help me please?
Thanks a lot.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 2 May, 2004 03:14 pm
If the .htaccess file is in your forum directory, properly named and is not working then perhaps your server configuration does not allow for it.
0 Replies

sdamain

Mon 3 May, 2004 02:57 am
Thanks for your reply.
I already use url rewriting on other part of my website and it works. So rewrite is correctly enabled on my server.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 3 May, 2004 03:02 am
Is the htaccess file in the forum directory?
0 Replies

sdamain

Mon 3 May, 2004 03:19 am
Yes it is.
It's quiete strange because if you check the links in the status bar of the index page of the forum it seems to be rewrited.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 3 May, 2004 03:21 am
That part is working, what is not working is your .htaccess file.
0 Replies

zoomsan

Mon 3 May, 2004 09:49 pm
For some reason googlebot managed to find some of my posts at the old urls - not rewritten with mod_rewrite ... I just can't understand it. I believe the mod is working properly - how could this be possible?

The strange thing in my logs it says referrer "-"

So I am not even sure how it is getting to these viewtopic?blah blah posts.

Anyone have any insight on this? Is it possible this is due to adsense or is that a different bot?
0 Replies