Why is the Grim Reaper demonized?

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:45 pm
I've noticed that people see the Grim Reaper as some devilish horror movie-esque cold-hearted killer. Is death really scary? Or is death the greatest gift to human beings?

Why is death scary? Shouldn't the Grim Reaper be looked upon as an angel rather than a demon?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 612 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Absolution phil

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:38 pm
@TheLessorIron,
I don't know! I was the Grim Reaper for Halloween like the whole time I was growing up! I would guess though, it has to do with the Grim Reaper bringing us into the great unknown. And there seems to be some sort of fear of the unknown. Even when people know they don't know, when questioned will at first most often say they know what it is.
richrf

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:09 pm
@Absolution phil,
I have come to think of death as a way of starting over, or creating a blank slate, so that one can start all over again. Sort of like when a painting goes bad and it needs to be whited over so that the artist can have a fresh start - but still learning from the previous attempt.

Rich
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 01:04 am
@TheLessorIron,
Life is valuable, and death is the deprivation of life, so the Reaper is demonized for taking away life, as opposed to an angel which giveth life.
0 Replies