man's revolt against God in different religions

sneer

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:48 am
The very known to eurocentric culture and religions myth of man's mutiny against God seems to be specific to babilonian, judaic and christian areas of influence. I'm not keen in religions in fact, so please correct me, if I'm wrong. Just don't remember anything similar neither in Bhagavad Gita, nor buddhism or in mixtec/aztec myths.

If my observation is good, what is the reason? Why those cultures and religions do not have adore such attitude of a human?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 818 • Replies: 4
No top replies

KaseiJin

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:13 am
@sneer,
sneer;103800 wrote:
The very known to eurocentric culture and religions myth of man's mutiny against God seems to be specific to babilonian, judaic and christian areas of influence.

It would be good to keep in mind the chronological relationship, as well. The Gilamesh Epic is rather conceivably the general root of the Genesis story, and that Christianity has carried forward a slightly differently spun rendering of it, is simply due to its Jewish belief-system roots.

Also, I would tend to think that the emotional push towards seeing certain uncontrollable occurrences in nature as being 'divine' punishment, back in the days of the earliest H. sapiens, would have well worked its way into the emotional fabric, and worked towards building such descriptive stories.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:26 am
@sneer,
sneer;103800 wrote:
The very known to eurocentric culture and religions myth of man's mutiny against God seems to be specific to babilonian, judaic and christian areas of influence. I'm not keen in religions in fact, so please correct me, if I'm wrong. Just don't remember anything similar neither in Bhagavad Gita, nor buddhism or in mixtec/aztec myths.

If my observation is good, what is the reason? Why those cultures and religions do not have adore such attitude of a human?

There is no God in Buddhism. Hinduism is polytheistic. So those are two pretty good reasons.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:58 pm
@sneer,
I would say in general
In the west the problem is sin and the solution is salvation.
In the east the problem is ignorance and the solution is enlightenment.
So in both theologies there is a problem and a solution.
sneer

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 04:09 am
@prothero,
prothero;103974 wrote:
I would say in general
In the west the problem is sin and the solution is salvation.
In the east the problem is ignorance and the solution is enlightenment.
So in both theologies there is a problem and a solution.

cleverly spoken. But we have as well other giant cultural systems, than east and west. I mean south and north america, north, far east (that distincts from buddhism/hinduism)
0 Replies