William Godwin's Philosophical Anarchism

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 05:06 pm
My knowledge of the topic is very shallow (this was William Godwin's thing right? or do I have even the name wrong?) but from what I understand of it, in summary he believed that as knowledge and education spread across to all people, that government would be obsolete. (right?)(maybe?)

Now after thinking about this for awhile, I've come to agree with him. But the thing is, education has spread, and we still are nowhere near capable of anarchism.

So my question is are we being educated on the wrong things? In school we learn about the chemical makeup of cork and equations for calculating polar coordinates, but do these things help us in life? (my answer is very much no.)

If we were educated on spiritual and philosophical things rather than industrial and scientific, would we be able to rid ourselves of government? Any person with an education in ethics or logic would be able to conclude that killing is wrong not because the law says it is, but merely because reason dictates that it damages society on multiple levels.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 763 • Replies: 1
No top replies

richrf

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
@dharma bum,
dharma_bum;83329 wrote:
If we were educated on spiritual and philosophical things rather than industrial and scientific, would we be able to rid ourselves of government? Any person with an education in ethics or logic would be able to conclude that killing is wrong not because the law says it is, but merely because reason dictates that it damages society on multiple levels.

I think it would be interesting to discuss spirituality and philosophy in classrooms, but I think that most students would not engage. Everyone has there own perspective of things and do things in life that might puzzle others, but are perfectly reasonable from their own point of view.

Bernie Madoff was extremely well educated and all he did was scam people out of $60 billion dollars. People simply have their own paths in life, and government is there to kind of referee. Different governments referee in different ways.

However, what I do think would benefit everyone is more exercise at school and at work. People sit on their butts too much nowadays.

Rich
0 Replies