The reason we split up the sciences

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 02:19 am
The good thing about having a subjective perspective is that we can change the direction, scope, and focus of our attention. It makes different disciplines possible. It makes piano building and piano playing entirely different fields of interest and endeavor. Both are interesting, yet significantly different despite the similar topic. Without a love of music, the piano would never be built, so in this example the more important view is of the pianist. However, the builder views the structure of the piano differently because his scope and focus is on its physical properties before it makes any sound. Meanwhile, the pianist is purely interested in sound coming out of the cords when he strikes the keys.

The truth is, both the piano and its music exist. They are interrelated to a point of oneness, and it is only because of the way we align our attention subjectively that we notice a seemingly inherent divide between the two.

If I see two solid black circles with a thin black line connecting them, I tend to organize the picture as just that-two circles and a line connecting them. However, the picture is actually one shape, it's just that the line connecting them is thin, so it does not stand out as pronounced as the two circles. My perception organizes the picture into two or three components. Such is the way we separate the world into fields, disciplines, etc. Since there is very little common ground when describing the structure of a piano and the sound a piano makes, perceptually there is a very thin line connecting the two views. However, that line exists.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 19
No top replies

memester

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:12 am
@loudthoughts,
is for The Sound of Music ? :bigsmile:
What is the sound of music, BTW ?

Maybe you need to split further, between sound...possibly the concern of designer, builder, and piano tuner..and music, the terrain of the musician and/or audience member...?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 06:22 pm
@loudthoughts,
Loadsthoughts I have difficulty in understanding the meaning and reason for your post, could you elaborate and enlighten me so that I can respond in the correct manner

The universe is just one great thought an interconnectivity of every particle to every other particle, so what do or say can enormously affect really to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the select word of or word composition
memester

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:46 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I think it would be helpful if we look at which developed first - theory, instrument,or musician.

I imagine it first started with a man thumping on a log a-rhythm...

boooo hisss
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:32 pm
@loudthoughts,
memester

heck man don't leave large empty space like that, it is a waste of bandwidth!
memester

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:14 pm
@Alan McDougall,
oh. sometimes they tell me my message is too short, so I made it longer
Theaetetus

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:24 pm
@memester,
memester;72367 wrote:

I think your messages have to be at least 16 characters. I think just about any complete sentence qualifies.
memester

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:28 pm
@Theaetetus,
Is this The City Morgue ?
[Edit: right, just checking for sentence length]
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 11:43 pm
@memester,
memester;72367 wrote:

I think you are too used to the wide open spaces of beautiful Canada Smile
memester

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 12:15 am
@Alan McDougall,
..........................................Hard Times ?...........................................

the reason you guys are having a financial crisis is because of the housing crisis because everyone's living in storage units instead of spending. Buy some space, you know ?

Edit: Plus, The Richer poor are using storage units for all their extra crap instead of buying a new second home for the next generation. When they do build those 90's style monsters that could house another family or two, what do they expect..their kids have to live with them now ?

That's Un-American, to my way of thinking.
0 Replies

YumClock

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 02:23 pm
@loudthoughts,
I love how everyone's completely ignoring the OP, but I wish I could understand what the point of it was...
0 Replies

urangutan

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:40 pm
@loudthoughts,
Sometimes the threads that interlink the sciences should be under scrutiny as much as ascientist views the hypothesis.

Sorry Yumclock, I completely ignored page two until I found myself there. Figuring I wasn't ignoring the thread I better not ignore you either.
0 Replies

YumClock

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:48 pm
@loudthoughts,
You just made page two, urangutan.

Why does it matter how the sciences are seperated? They never have anything but a superficial seperation anyway - Physics governs chemistry, chemistry governs biology, and biology (or geology) spawns taxonomy. It's all just physics, in different levels of complexity.
0 Replies

urangutan

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:19 pm
@loudthoughts,
Assuming that physics is all that governs chemistry and what other possibilities offer us, could lead science in different directions. Of course this is all down to speculation but I would gather science as a handfull of rocks. Toss them into the air anwhatever I catch in return could make infinite possibilities. Remove or add a rock and the possibilities don't change just the make up.
0 Replies

YumClock

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 11:38 pm
@loudthoughts,
What do you mean by "gather science"?
Do you mean how us humans interpret it, taking the rock-set of rules and making our own jumbled patterns?
Or do you mean the structure of the universe, made randomly yet predictably?
Or am I completely missing your point?
0 Replies

urangutan

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:57 am
@loudthoughts,
Reading it in the first definition would mean that we are unable to gather the whole picture or that we are limited. The second interpretation too, is limited but not in definition, rather in outcome. Together, they show us what we have and still allow us the possibility of other creations, yet seen.

Imagine a planet without water. There is hydrogen and of course there is oxygen, but something prevents the two combining. So there is still not water, does it make it uninhabitable. The possibilities don't change just the make up. So no I don't think you missed my point.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:42 am
@loudthoughts,
Hello Loudthoughts, welcome to our home. Without totally understanding what you are saying let me offer what it is "I think" you are saying. I think it can be described as complimentary action as we have determined, as a result of our senses the need and appreciation of those sounds that affect our "feelings" and perceptions. As we hear noise, it is our complimentary effort to ease that noise to reach for that which will eliminate it. Both are connected, the 'craftsman' who has the 'talent' to answer to the musican's 'talent' in creating that vehicle that will ease that noise for both. It's called teamwork. The universe operates under this system and one day, as we begin to understand this 'teamwork' we will eliminate the noise and all make beautiful music together. IMO.Smile

Again welcome,

William
0 Replies

YumClock

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
@loudthoughts,
Is he saying that the reason we have different fields of science is because humans cannot see the fact that they're all the same?
William

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 02:23 pm
@YumClock,
YumClock;75084 wrote:
Is he saying that the reason we have different fields of science is because humans cannot see the fact that they're all the same?

No, all connected. It is impossible for us to be the same. In that we do not realize that connection, is where we run into problems as we effort to function "apart" from each other not fully realizing the strength in unity itself. It is in that complimentary action that will define man/woman; mason/carpenter; parent/child; nutritionist/consumer; energy/resouces; atheist/theist; philosopher/scientist and so on into alignment with each other that will create the senergy of the whole. All different communicating in concert with each other. All playing a part.

William
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 02:49 pm
@loudthoughts,
loudthoughts;70793 wrote:
The good thing about having a subjective perspective is that we can change the direction, scope, and focus of our attention. It makes different disciplines possible. It makes piano building and piano playing entirely different fields of interest and endeavor. Both are interesting, yet significantly different despite the similar topic. Without a love of music, the piano would never be built, so in this example the more important view is of the pianist. However, the builder views the structure of the piano differently because his scope and focus is on its physical properties before it makes any sound. Meanwhile, the pianist is purely interested in sound coming out of the cords when he strikes the keys.

The truth is, both the piano and its music exist. They are interrelated to a point of oneness, and it is only because of the way we align our attention subjectively that we notice a seemingly inherent divide between the two.

If I see two solid black circles with a thin black line connecting them, I tend to organize the picture as just that-two circles and a line connecting them. However, the picture is actually one shape, it's just that the line connecting them is thin, so it does not stand out as pronounced as the two circles. My perception organizes the picture into two or three components. Such is the way we separate the world into fields, disciplines, etc. Since there is very little common ground when describing the structure of a piano and the sound a piano makes, perceptually there is a very thin line connecting the two views. However, that line exists.

Hi,

The difference seems to be in the skills required. A piano builder is usually good at woodworking, though it might be a darn good player. A piano player, however, is unlikely skilled at woodworking.

Which brings us to why sciences are split up. ... So that people can find jobs that they are good at.

Rich
0 Replies