Best band ever?

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:32 pm
You know, VH1 did some sort of a "Greatest Rock Bands of all Time" countown several years ago when they were still interested in music (ya know what I mean?) and I believe nearly all of our choices showed up in the top fifteen. . .

Well, er. . . maybe not The Kelly Family. . .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:57 pm
<giggles>

But Dr. and the Medics? Yes?

Or The Firm? Them of that classic pop song: "Star-trekkin', across the universe / on the Starship Enterprise, under Captain Kirk!"
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:59 pm
Yeah, uhm. . . not sure about them, either. . .

;-)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
Do not speak ill of Yes and stir up the bear.....
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:31 pm
Would never speak ill of Yes, BPB, I swear. . . I was more referring to, what were they called? The Firm. . . don't think they made the VH1 cut. . . :-)
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:01 pm
led zepp
nirvana
beatles
cars
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:13 pm
How about the JB's. Did they make the VH-1 list?
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 09:19 pm
They did. . . somewhere in the top 15 :-) I think the Beatles were number one. . .Stones 2. . . Queen was 8, and AC/DC, led zeppelin, and most of the others on this thread were in there. . .
0 Replies

Arg

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:53 am
Ummm...Totally Oingo Boingo as far as actual music goes.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:02 am
eoe wrote:
Not sure about Little Richard. I think he's been around a little longer than Godfather and Hendrix was a member of Little Richard's band in the early 60's. Don't think he was with the JB's. Bootsy was indeed a member of the JB's.

Thanks for clearing that up, eoe. I think that's where I was getting confused. Did Fred Wesley play the trumpet? In my top 3 JB tracks is 'Doin' It To Death', which has JB shouting 'Fred! Fred!' before the trumpet solo. I've listened to that solo hundreds of times and it still gives me shivers with its pure funk.

'Ya got to take it hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigher!'
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:05 am
eoe wrote:
Not sure about Little Richard. I think he's been around a little longer than Godfather and Hendrix was a member of Little Richard's band in the early 60's. Don't think he was with the JB's. Bootsy was indeed a member of the JB's.

Thanks for clearing that up, eoe. I think that's where I was getting confused. Did Fred Wesley play the trombone? In my top 3 JB tracks is 'Doin' It To Death', which has JB shouting 'Fred! Fred!' before the trombone solo. I've listened to that solo hundreds of times and it still gives me shivers with its pure funk.

'Ya got to take it hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigher!'
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:08 am
No way I can answer this question without categories. IMO, there is no such thing as a 'best band ever' although I do have favorite albums, London Calling being one of them...took punk to a whole new level.

Okay, I admit it....best band ever was Color Me Badd....Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:25 am
BPB, which was your band?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:31 am
Here is some BPB band action (Cirkus):

http://newcirkus.phootoons.com/home.html
http://www.phootoons.com/cirkus/info/press.html

I am sure he can fill in the details.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:04 am
Wilso I'm sure you never heard of us down under...we were a regional band that , like many others almost but not quite got the big record deal........there's a story behind that that involves lying, stealing, drugs and seedy deals with bad management. We had the WEA group poised to give us, along with a Richmond band called Axeworthy who were even heavier than we were, a multi album deal. Our manager was given a LOT of money to bring demos of us in.

The demos were recorded in Jacksonville Fla. in a studio where the Skynrd boys and that whole contingency hung out and was produced by a memeber of a big band that everyone on these threads would know if I said their name, which I won't. I have been threatened by slander litigation in the past .

the recording sessions were a ******* joke, with various guys dropping by with liquor and acid and cocaine every two minutes, which was indulged in after every take while we stood around. For all my joking around and all the stories that float around in the rock sub culture about me being a wild man (I was) in the studio, rehearsals, and on stage, I was, and the rest of the band were cold pros, and so this bullshit in the studio was very frustrating. We were there to work.

Upshot was that at the end of these fruitless sessions both we and Axeworthy ended up with **** demos that sounded like they were recorded on a portable cassette player in someones garage, and our management company ended up in legal trouble because it seems like the money that wasn't spent on turning out a good demo was spent on cocaine. Also came out in the ensuing investigation that our manager, among other things was a chicken farmer. Last I heard he'd gone to prison and I hope someone is fvcking him while I'm typing this sentence.

The babies, that would be Cirkus and Axeworthy, got thrown out with the bathwater of course.

I was set to release our album we recorded live at Carowinds, when I was informed that we were still under management and would be sued if I did, so the master just sat for years. This last summer we finally did a vanity pressing of it that we have sold to old Cirkus fans and used as demos for the new band to radio stations, promoters etc. We are keeping a few of the tunes that still sound fresh and scrapping some that just sound to much like late 70's early 80's.

It is great to play out for people and see them still singing along with these tunes, and some of our old fans are now at the shows with their kids, who are also singing along and rocking it out.

We are playing small clubs and rebuilding a new fan base of younger people who don't consider our age at all, they're just digging the band. We have been offered "Reunion" gigs at bigger halls in major Southeastern cities and the money is tempting but we don't want to be classified a "reunion" band, so we are turning that money down and playing for a new audience. The old people still show up, but the younger kids are what will sustain this band a few years.

I have no illusions any longer about becoming a rock superstar, but I can keep the band playing a few years and with smart promotion and marketing make us some real money to salt away. I have a lot of friends that have gone on in this business poised to help us. I feel like we'll get one shot at a real label release, and that's all I want, a chance to run the ball down the court one more time.

I'm having fun too, by the way. Very Happy Twisted Evil

And that's the story on Cirkus. Be careful what you ask for, you night get it. :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:12 am
patiodog wrote:
I've got a test for you, D'Art: you like the Ramones -- how do you feel about the Clash?

It always seems to me that no one really likes both...

I did like them, patiodog, but mainly their early LPs. The sound became rather diffuse after a while--too many different styles--but the first few records were killers!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:14 am
Tightest band on earth is an easy one, The Funk Brothers.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:20 am
Ramones over Clash any day....Clash were good, Ramones were initiators.

Speaking punks, the ultimate punks, the boys who made the Sex Pistols seem like NKOTB, Clevelands own DEAD BOYS!!!!!!

Stiv Bators, Johnny Blitz, they were awesome!!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:27 am
Stiv Bators....that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...I was also a fan of Stiff Little Fingers, clearly the best Irish punk band of all time. Also, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, lest we forget about influence....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:28 am
Caught with the Meat in your Mouth
(Bators/Chrome)

Hot flashes burning my brain
Your tongue lashes drive me insane
From New York City to LA
You're known as the hottest lay

Anya pink canopy gonna shackle ya' down
You crossed every back in town
From a cherry runaway to a bowery queen