Of Salmon, Swifts and the Purpose in Nature

jeeprs

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:33 am
One of the fundamental attitudes of the scientific account of the human species are that we are the creatures of 'chance and necessity.' This was the title of a very influential book by that name, by French Nobel Laureate in Biochemistry, Jacques Monod. Monod set out to demonstrate that man was in fact a 'biochemical fluke', a product of blind physics and chemistry, which was unlikely to be replicated even in a vast universe.

Quote:
"The first scientific postulate is the objectivity of nature: nature does not have any intention or goal".

This is, of course, a basic tenet of scientific biology: that there is no question of what Aristotle would call a 'telos' or ultimate goal, or a goal of any kind, for that matter. There is neither a final, nor formal, cause in the work of the 'blind watchmaker'.

Another influential account of the materialist view was given by Bertrand Russell, in whose 'A Free Man's Worship' we are assured that life and the Universe is nothing 'but the accidental collocation of atoms':

Quote:
"Brief and powerless is Man's life; on him and all his race the slow, sure doom falls pitiless and dark. Blind to good and evil, reckless of destruction, omnipotent matter rolls on its relentless way". (1)

Of course, the current champion of the scientific account of the origins of human life is Richard Dawkins, whose book, alluded to above, and many other works, provides an account of the evolution of the human shaped entirely by adaptive necessity and natural selection.

Now a question has occured to me, specifically about the notion of 'purpose', and also 'intention' - which would seem to me to be very closely related - and its place in the scientific account of life and mind.

If you ask yourself whether anything in nature 'happens for a purpose' or whether nature 'intends' to evolve, the answer is 'of course not'. We might say animals do have a purpose, namely to survive and reproduce, but this occurs in accordance with the manner described by evolutionary biology. Salmon return to their home rivers, Japanese swift to their summer haunts in Alaska, we know not how, but the instinct seems to work flawlessly, and can be explained with reference to the requirements of natural selection, acting over the course of many thousands of generations.

But this is not a conscious purpose, not in the sense that the human mind has a purpose. Neither salmon nor swift have an intention, in the sense that we understand the word. They are not intelligent in the same way that humans are, and cannot make plans, nor devise solutions to problems. They simply act according to instinct, and if their behaviours are successful, they will survive, and those slightly better adapted, are more likely to thrive and propogate.

Now I am quite inclined to accept that this is all true. What I do ask, however, is this: is the gulf between the human mind and nature so absolute, that our conscious sense of purpose, our intentions and aims are the only purposes, aims and intentions in the Universe?

In other words, why are humans the only thing in the Universe that can be said to have a purpose?

If life arises without any purpose, and animals act without any purpose, then can purpose be said to exist anywhere but in the mind?

And how, if there is no purpose in life or to evolution, can human purpose said to be anything other than personal, or, perhaps, social? In other words, even if I do have a purpose, how can it have any meaning beyond what I can persuade myself that it has, if it has no purpose in reality.

Here is an irony: the scientific account of the human species is often said to have 'removed man from the centre of the cosmos'. We are now understood to be one species among many, on one planet among many, in one galaxy among many. Whereas in all of the Sacred Cosmologies of traditional societies, humans were more or less depicted in the centre of creation, engaged in some vast cosmic drama of creation, fall and redemption.

Yet now, in this revised formula, while we might paint ourselves as being peripheral creatures in a great Cosmos, in actual fact we are declaring that ours is the only purposeful intelligence. So to that extent, we are more self-centred than ever: the human ego as the sole arbiter of purpose in a universe devoid of any purpose of its own.

But wait - it gets worse. Because in fact, there is really no reason to accept that our purposes or intentions are really any more substantial that that of the salmon, or the swift. Why? Because if our faculties, including our sense of purpose, have been shaped only by adaptive requirements, there is really no reason to think that anything we believe is 'true' in any sense other than the fact that it produces a result - which is, it appears to help us, or rather, our selfish genes. 'The neurophysiology on which our beliefs depend will doubtless be adaptive; but why think for a moment that the beliefs dependent on or caused by that neurophysiology will be mostly true? Why think our cognitive faculties are reliable?' (2)

So it may be that many exponents of the scientific explanations of human kind lack the imagination, or the thoroughness, to realise the actual implications of what they are saying. If the universe does indeed proceed without design, direction, intention, purpose, or any such characteristic or attribute, then life truly is completely absurd, as is any attempt, scientific, philosophical, or religious, to really understand it. There is nothing to understand. But this has not really been gotten by the current crop of materialists. It was much more clearly grasped by Neitszche, Dostoevski, Camus, and Sartre. (And yet, existentialism seems to have had its day as well.)

In any case, I propose another way out of this false dichotomy, the empty universe in which the sophisticated modern ego finds itself. Because I reject the division between man and nature; ultimately, I am the child of nature, and my intentions and purposes are not so different from those of swifts and salmon. Except that I am more able to reflect on them, give them conscious form and ponder their meaning. But basically, I am life made conscious. And I would like to think that this is one of the things that has driven nature to find its home river and summer feeding grounds, all these many aeons; so that I might look upon it all, and wonder. I truly believe that nature does have a purpose, and that humans indeed are a part of it; but they certainly look as though they have completely forgotten what that purpose is, and had better remember it quickly, lest nature reconsider.

Quote:
You never enjoy the world aright, till the sea itself floweth in your veins, till you are clothed with the heavens and crowned with the stars.

Thomas Traherne.

I have not felt that feeling yet - but I think it is a true description of the greatest station in life, and it remains my intention to pursue it.

(1) A Free Man's Worship It is interesting that the Buddha has a very similar diagnosis of the human situation, but derives from it a radically different conclusion.

(2) Alvin Plantinga, review of God Delusion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,352 • Replies: 5
No top replies

xris

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:24 am
@jeeprs,
All things in nature imbued with life have this constant desire to live. The purpose of nature is to survive and the formula for life has this incredible desire at its core. I feel it when spring is upon us , the sun encourages life and it flows through nature like an overwhelming urge. I cant imagine when the universe is so vast and the formula so available, nature has not spread to ever part that is available to its charms. We may not feel its strength as much as we once did but we are inseparable from its path as it gives us life and measures our existence.
memester

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 11:44 am
@xris,
I'm not so sure that other animals do not have some of our abilities.

I train my dogs so that when walking on the sidewalk ( they're usually intrested in the strip of grass where the dogs poop), they never wrap themselves by the leash around a pole. I merely never allow them to stop me by that method: I continue on when they first try it.
It doesn't seem to hurt them at all, though they clearly dislike having their face pulled back around the pole - it does make them come back on my side, and they may do it one more time before never doing it again.

so here I am with a dog that is not wanting to get on the wrong side of any poles we walk by.

I note that on the sidewalk there is a neat pile of sandbags stacked almost waist high.

I'm checking out the corner of my eye to see what dog does about this.

H is walking along, looking at the grass strip and poops, until he sees the pile of sandbags a step or two ahead. Normally he gets right over to my side. but he looks up to check the height of the pile. I can see him dismiss the "problem" at a glance; he sees that the leash will be able to pass over the pile. He does not come over to my side, instead walks onward.

What I make of this behaviour is this: that the dog sees his action of coming on my side of a pole, as serving a purpose. When there was no purpose ( the leash could pass over the obstacle), he recognized that there was no purpose in doing his usual action that time.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:36 pm
@jeeprs,
well I understand perfectly, I have a nice little dog and walk him every day. Dogs are one of the smartest animals of course. My guy has worked out (finally) that if he goes around the wrong side of a pole, he will get wound up - well, most of the time anyway. I think with dogs, horses, cats, and probably elephants, monkeys, and some birds, you can definitely ascertain cognitive abilities that you won't see in lesser animals. (There was an amusing story recently on the making of the 60's Australian TV show 'Skippy the Bush Kangaroo'. Kangaroos are dumber than sheep, according to one of the people interviewed. They had to have a dozen kangaroos on set for every scene, because you couldn't train them to do anything whatever. THey would put one in a sack long enough to subdue it and quiet it down, then let it out, and keep shooting until one of the dozen kangaroos did what the scene required, or near enough for an edit.)

But at the same time, there is a broader point in all of this. With the denial of any idea of 'divine creation' - not your literalist '7 days' flat-earth creationist scenario, but the rejection of any notion of a larger intelligence, direction, intention in nature, it is hard to see how everything comes together. It is not a trivial argument, of course, and can never be summed up in a few pages. I respect the accounts that are given of self-organising systems and the vast timescales involved in the emergence of organic intelligence, and furthermore think these accounts are true. I don't see 'a divine architect' in terms of a being who designs things and does things in the way in which we understand 'being' and 'design'. But I think there are principles at work in everything over and above the principle of mutation and selection. I think the ideas of entelechy, teleology and the formal cause are still likely to be true. I think they are part of 'the fabric of the cosmos' and that we could not have evolved without these principles being implicit in the nature of things.

If that is creationism, then I am a creationist.

Interesting question: I wonder if it is possible that these types of ideas have been rejected by science, mainly because they are very difficult principles to account for on an empirical basis. How would you develop a 'falsifiable hypothesis' about teleology, entelechy, or the formal cause?
memester

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:19 pm
@jeeprs,
in this case I may need to look at the word "reason" as better than "purpose" in the dog's not coming over to my side.
He apparently saw no reason to come over ?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:47 pm
@jeeprs,
It seems to me the words 'reason', 'purpose' and 'intention' are all intertwined - almost as if they are three separate aspects of the same underlying thing.
0 Replies