rap is crap

Wilso

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
There's bit's and pieces of hard rock that I like, bit's and pieces of heavy metal that I like, bit's and pieces of country music that I like, bit's and pieces of classical that I like, bit's and pieces of mainstream popular music that I like, but I've never, ever been able to tolerate more than 15 seconds of rap without wanting to smash the radio to pieces.
0 Replies

aquarius blue05

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
wow....that's sad, I mean wow, I really feel sorry that you're missing out on something truly great.
0 Replies

aquarius blue05

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 12:37 pm
well anyway back to HIP HOP

Has anyone here every heard of Jean Grae, she's like probably the greatest female emcee out right now, and one of the greatest emcees of all time in my opinion. I just thought I would just throw that in cause I've been listening to her album Attack of The Attacking Things, it's almost flawless.

But anyway, the thing with most people hip hop, is that they can't connect with it, It's actually not much more than glorified poetry. Because it started with people just hoping on the mic and spitting poetry they prepared, eventually beats were added, production and such until you get the birth of hip hop. What I hate is that the true form of the music has meaning, but when it turned mainstream it lost almost all artistic value. It's like that Common song "I Used To Love Her" if you haven't heard it you should check it out....it explains everything I've been trying to say.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 01:50 pm
Rap is Ok like all other compositions of expression are. I am just wondering how long it can last.Seems pretty saturated. Boy in my day in the 70ties we had the beatles,emerson lake and palmer and aerosmith and david bowie the greatfull dead,cat stevens and neil young....all composures with more love and harmonising in their lyrics than that which is present in todays. LoL
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 02:25 pm
Haven't hear of Jean Grae, but "Attack of The Attacking Things" sure is a brilliant title! Razz

Any track in particular you can recommend?
0 Replies

mchol

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:12 am
Algis:
I LOVE David Bowie!! Whooooo is he FINE!! Iman is one lucky lady...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:41 pm
Yo people, help me out here ... you know you wanna! Spread the love ...

Recommend me a good hip-hop track
0 Replies

aquarius blue05

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:02 am
OK after a much needed break the newbie has returned, rested and ready to defend his point!

Well anyway, for those of you who actually wanted to know about some good hip hop tracks I suggest you check out:

Jean Grae - Love Song, God's Gift
Akrobatik - Remind my Soul
Immortal Technique - Harlem Streets, Peruvian Cocaine
Eyedea - Even Shadows have Shadows
Atmoshpere - Trying to Find a Balance, God's Bathroom Floor
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Thieves in the Night
Mos Def & Massive Attack - I against I
Nas - One Mic
Common - I used To Love Her
Last Emperor - One Life

I mean for the people that doubt HIP HOP, they've probably never even heard. People get this distorted image of the true form due to the fact that the mainstream corporations have altered and created a marketable form of it. You think what you hear on t.v, and radios are the represenatives for the entire music form. You can't judge something without actually understanding it...it's illogical
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Hey acquarius, I d/l a couple of Jean Grae tracks after you last posted, good stuff.
0 Replies

snypercop

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
The thing is that when you go on the radio and you want to listen to rock on the radio like a normal human being you have to also put up with that rap. that is what bothers me. the fact that if I want to listen to my music on the radio, I have to listen to that too. I feel that stations should have a whole section to itself. You konw, one station for punk rock, one for modern country, one for pop, and yes one station for rap.

I also wonder why we allow criminals to go on the air and make a whole bunch of insults being thrown at everyone. criminals should just be told, get a job and stay there, don't draw attention to yourself and just shut the hell up. it bothers me that most of the rappers here have done time. They need to do something about it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:20 pm
snypercop wrote:
I feel that stations should have a whole section to itself. You konw, one station for punk rock, one for modern country, one for pop, and yes one station for rap.

You should try Spinner webradio - couple dozen stations, each devoted to one genre (they axed the 2-step/garage one though, alas). Havent listened to it in ages, but it was a practical solution to what you describe.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:34 pm
nimh wrote:
You should try Spinner webradio - couple dozen stations, each devoted to one genre (they axed the 2-step/garage one though, alas). Havent listened to it in ages, but it was a practical solution to what you describe.

Wow, that really must have been ages. I looked it up and it no longer exists. Apparently AOL bought it in 1999, but I'm pretty sure I listened to it after that, and it still looked and sounded like Spinner. At least in 2001 still. But it seems that by 2003 it had been taken over and integrated into Radio@Netscape, and apparently, it's totally gone to ****.
0 Replies

GIIRL B3T4 KNO

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 06:31 pm
rap aint crap sum of dese real rappers are speaking bout stuff they have seen and been through and expressing it in a better way instead of going out wasting ppl rock aint harder thats jus peeps standin der screamin dwn da mic aint talkin bout **** u cnt even hear half da thingz dey say LONG LIVE RAP! rap is by far better dan rock rap is basiccly poetry coming frm da heart for example take tupac shakur now hes speaks da truth about thangz he talks about rasicm among ppl and ppl selling drugz 2 children and stuff lyk dat it aint crap yall need 2 get ya headz sorted out dnt get it twisted rap is gr8......
nuff said
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 04:43 am
Re: rap is crap
Bugger20 wrote:
Creating a rock song is way harder than busting out a rhyme...

Lies. Cool

Bugger20 wrote:
Why hasn't the rap fad died?
Cuz of jams like this here.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 09:49 am
Well, if we're posting our preferences, I think many on this site should check out Mr. Lif, here.

At the risk of condescending, I say try your best to listen to the lyrcis--you won't catch all of them. But here are a few to help:

Fact one:
America don't give a **** about you so get off it
I'm not a prophet they just want the profit
They make you want it so you cop it, soon you can't stop it
You're addicted
But low on doe so you get evicted
Fact two:
Darfur's in a state of emergency
It's genocide
Code red classified
If this was Kosovo it'd be over, bro
But it's brothers so it equals no coverage, mo' sufferage
People drawn and quartered
Castrated, slaughtered, burned, disgraced
Gang raped, displaced
While the rest of the world just turn face to chase
Some economic goals
Balance the lost souls
But live it up
We 'bout to burn in hell 'cause god knows

Let's take the above into consideration before generalizing all rap as about "bitches and hos" and "glorifying violence."
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
Interesting.
I've never been all into music that has a "preachy" message. But this wasn't as bad as I had thought "underground" would be. I remember listening to Public Enemy and KRS-1, but those groups were never my favorites.

Anyway, it funny that the author muses why this "fad" hasn't died. And it just occurred to me to say, far from death, rap has grown into many markets and evolved into many genres. Not only has the rap "fad" not died, it has multiplied.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 08:21 am
@Mexica,
your weak minds have made me superior musically in every way.

from ryan adams to keak da sneak, jedi mind tricks to slayer, led zeppelin to against all authority, miles davis to travis abrker.

i win.

haha noobz.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 08:24 am
@OGIONIK,
by the way, rap and hip hop are very seperate.

hip hop is pretty much ghetto fine art, you have ballet we have breakdancing, you have monet and picasso, renoir, we have banksy and daem, you have bach and bhettoven sp? w/e, we have dj cool herc, you have poetry we have rappers..

hah, figured id inform some of you about that..

Gargamel

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 08:59 am
@OGIONIK,
Funny, I hear what you're saying but I see the line a bit more blurred.

Van Gogh lived in abject poverty. They held his funeral in coffee house--or something like that. That's kind of ghetto. Mozart got a raw deal also.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:00 am
@Gargamel,
lol. there is black and white and infinite shades of grey.

ill change it to modern urban poverty fine art.
0 Replies