rap is crap

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:26 am
I would have to agree with BlueMonkey on the rhyming skills. Rap may not be on my top listening list (personally, I prefer Tuvan Mongolian throat singing), but I can certainly recognize a talented rhymer from a not so talented one.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:14 am
Wilso, I bet it has more to do with the rap (the spoken part) than the hip-hop (the music). The hip-hop is largely derived from other genres like pop, since they "sample" different beats etc to make up the music.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:26 am
This time of year, it's the Gregorian chants that just really grate on my nerves.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:46 am
What if there's a beat behind them PDiddie, a la Enigma? <correct me if I have the wrong band there>
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:54 am
Re: rap is crap
Bugger20 wrote:
Why hasn't the rap fad died?

It really should have remained nothing more than means of expression and reciting poetry by some inner city ghetto kids. It should never have become such a big part of the mainstream musical landscape that would linger on for 20+ years.

Creating a rock song is way harder than busting out a rhyme...

discuss

Bugger, I don't know why, but I am amazed that you would make such a statement. It seems to me, that after 20 years - the word "fad" no longer applies. It bugs me that you would downplay a form of music simply because of your disdain for it. I wonder if, when jazz had been around for 20 years someone wrote the newspapers with a letter like yours.

Have you ever TRIED to 'bust a rhyme'??? Well, I write poetry, but I can't 'bust a rhyme' that flows and says something to save my life. Don't even let me start on freestyling....

Certainly you don't have to listen to nor like it - and I'm not even a huge fan of rap (hip hop) myself - but it doesn't deserve the bashing you seem to want to give it. I think that ALL forms of music bear their pros and their cons, and I agree that a lot of the videos & lyrics leave a lot to be desired, but some are quite positive. It's also been used as a way to get kids to learn...when I visit various area schools, I don't see their teachers gathering up rock music implements to get them to learn their basic studies - I see them RAPPING to the kids - and I see the kids LOVING IT AND LEARNING FROM IT.

Share your opinions but don't air your ignorance...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:58 am
I am sooo looking forward to onyxelle's submission to Bugger's story contest now. Smile
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:10 am
cav, i already submitted. it..but that was before i was ticked lol. j/k
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:07 am
I don't like rap cuz it sux yeah !
Rappers got voices like ducks yeah !
I don't rhyme too good but i try yeah !
But it's my bizness don't you pry yeah !

Word to your mother-in-law . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:09 am
Legal disclaimer:

The previous post was an attempt at satrical humor, for however feeble. The management of this site takes no responsibility for offense taken by readers, and is to busy with a hamster fetish at any event.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
First, I just wanna thank god the lord for this grammy....
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:50 am
I like rap & hip hop more than I like rock or country, though I like some of each of those - and crossovers between them!

Hey - I'm 32, English and look like my picture (i.e. don't pretend I'm from the ghetto!) - and since my teenage years I've loved SOME rap.

Early on it was Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, Young MC. Then the whole Acid Jazz/crossover thing grabbed me - Galliano, Guru's Jazzmatazz, US3 and their grandaddy, Gil Scott Heron. Since then I've developed a taste for MC Solaar (French rapping - brilliantly written and delivered), The Roots, Cyprus Hill and others.

I don't really go for the Gangsta/Uzis and Hoes stuff because I find it depressing to think of those lives lived in this way/aspiring to this (though I have to admit a liking for NWA and their commentary on life in South Central LA of about 12 years ago)!!!

Don't condemn it. I don't listen to much "white boys with guitars" music because I find much of that doesn't speak to me - but each to his/her own.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
bugger - yer not gonna kick me from the story contest are ye?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:00 pm
Wilso wrote:
I don't care where it comes from. It's monotonous beat is like Chinese water torture. Except rap only takes minutes to drive me out of my mind.

Says the guy who listens to John Farnham!!

To each his own I guess ...

Go Onyxelle ! :-)
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:45 pm
Its true. 95% of rap is garbage. Thats a fact. That is only because all the crap you hear on the radio and MTV has that cookie cutter format. Rap is crap because no top 10 artist says anything that hasn't been said before. Its fed to the masses and eagerly devoured. I work in an electronics store and every new release of any mainstream rapper whose new video plays on MTV every 5 minutes is sold out in a few hours. Rap has evolved into hip-hop. But only hip-POP gets any serious air time. There are some innovaters in the underground hip-hop scene, and what I'm talking about is a definate complexity and true meaning in the lyrics. And the beats have certainly matured as well. A simple drum-loop and sample won't cut it anymore; a beat needs variation to keep it alive.

Final Thought - Don't hate what you don't understand.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:57 pm
Welcome to A2K, Illmatic!

I dont really think "fact" even comes into it, at all. I hope you'll take the little trick I'm gonna play on your post below in your stride ... ;-)

(btw, for those interested, I had a good thread on hip-hop a while ago: "Foshizzle my nizzle)

--------Its true. 95% of rockmusic is garbage. Thats a fact. That is only because all the crap you hear on the radio and MTV has that cookie cutter format. Rock is crock because no top 10 artist says anything that hasn't been said before. Its fed to the masses and eagerly devoured. I work in an CD store and every new release of any mainstream rock-musician whose new video plays on MTV every 5 minutes is sold out in a few hours. Rock 'n' roll has evolved into rock. But only rock-POP gets any serious air time. There are some innovaters in the underground rock scene, and what I'm talking about is a definate complexity and true meaning in the lyrics. And the riffs have certainly matured as well. A simple drum, bass, lead guitar setup won't cut it anymore; a riff needs variation to keep it alive.----------
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:25 pm
Nimh, you played that card well. What I'm trying to say is that rap has become mainstream and I can't stand just about anything thats played on the radio/MTV nowadays. Although that new joint from Andre is hot (Don't want to meet your daddy. I'm - I'm just being honest. hilarious). And also theres a huge difference between HIP HOP and HIP POP.

Some Good New Age Hip Hop:

Binary Star
Jedi Mind Tricks
Slum Village
Square One
RJD2
MF DOOM
Aceyalone
0 Replies

illmatic

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
This about sums it up:

Binary Star - Reality Check

This is how I represent I rock the mic 110 percent
It's intimate, I keeps the party moving like a immigrant
Binary Star, superstar its no coincidence
Every verse is intricate, this ain't a circus in a tent
We don't get down like them clown syndicates
I'm use to being indegent, who said its all about the Benjamin's?
I wanna fortune, I wanna make music and hit the lottery
Fortunately my music is never watery
That's how its gotta be, as far as I can see
Maybe you should grab a telescope to see my view is like astronomy
It aint all about economy
so the fact that these wack emcees is making G's don't bother me
Honestly, my number one policy is quality
never sell my soul is my philosophy
High velocity, lyrics like Nastradamus makin prophecy
I told you cats a long time a go it ain't no stoppin' me
I bomb your set that's not a threat its a promise
Got everybody ridin' on my wagon like the Amish
But still I never claim to be a big rap star
Cause no matter who you are its still Allah who act God
Better believe this, most rappers can't achieve this
I'm bad to the bone but x-rays can't even see this
See I'm strategic I letcha money talk bullshit walk
While I keep it rollin' like parapalegics
Whoever's on the microphone let it be known
You in danger, I got next(necks) like the Boston Strangler
You ain't never heard an emcee speak like this
And Rodney King ain't never felt a beat like this

If you like hip hop download this one right now.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:17 pm
Cool Aww...I could careless about liking or disliking it. Like everyone here, I have my preferences and listen to what I want. If something comes on I don't like....I hit another station. Easy as that.....lol :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:02 pm
illmatic wrote:
What I'm trying to say is that rap has become mainstream and I can't stand just about anything thats played on the radio/MTV nowadays. And also theres a huge difference between HIP HOP and HIP POP.

You're right on that - and yeh, we agree.

From your list I only know RJD2 - I'll put the rest of it on my KazaaL waitinglist! (First I gotta create some space on my HD ..)

I downloaded a bunch of Brit rappers LSK and Roots Manuva a while ago that I'm really happy with. You know 'em? And last time round I got some Latryx that sounds pretty OK.

Also hauled in some Buck 65 MP3s but thats really another kinda beast altogether - more like some intellectual rapping than hip-hop, from the way it sounds.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:21 pm
rap has just stopped being clever in the mainstream and is now formulated....how much slap my ho bitch can you take?

Like rock music, outside of the mainstream there is some good stuff.

And flowing and rhyming takes skill no doubt.

I'm burned out on mainstream rap though I have to admit, and this Linkin Park type **** has GOT to go......DJ Jazzy Trevor, prince of the food court these caucasian suburban mall rat guys are.....
0 Replies