Just one of those 'life truths'

JDeMers

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
Mankind flows the path of least resistance, which explains why it is still ignored that the towers fell against the path of most resistance.:poke-eye:

Please America and the world begin to re9llies because no false flag operations equals no war! This could be our chance for world peace if we could just wake up and make a stand. Let's make "no government sponsored:surrender: mass murder" a bipartisan issue.:brickwall:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 912 • Replies: 9
No top replies

thysin

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 10:14 pm
@JDeMers,
Do you think we would be happy if we didn't have war? I know that may sound kind of illogical but I don't think we would be. The only way I think we could all be happy and live in peace is if there was only one of us...or if everyone was exactly the same. There will always be people who disagree with you and as long as there is someone who disagrees with someone else there will always be war. I too wish that we could all get along and in theory that is possible, however it would be extremely difficult and unlikely to get everyone to agree on one thing...even if it is peace.

thysin
0 Replies

Krobmotoriker

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:46 pm
@JDeMers,
I don't understand, how you could be so sure, that "we" wouldn't be happy to live in peace. I mean, no matter, if there is peace or war actually in the world. I think it is a mistake to talk of a "we" . This "we" you talk about, means the whole mankind ( if i understood you right) and if you say "we" wouldn't be happy with peace, thats nothing else than a huge prejudice against the whole mankind.

Correct me, if i am wrong, it's late right here ....

bye
thysin

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:50 pm
@Krobmotoriker,
I'm just saying to know peace you must know war. To be happy you must know sadness.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:07 pm
@JDeMers,
JDeMers wrote:
Mankind flows the path of least resistance, which explains why it is still ignored that the towers fell against the path of most resistance.:poke-eye:

Please America and the world begin to re9llies because no false flag operations equals no war! This could be our chance for world peace if we could just wake up and make a stand. Let's make "no government sponsored:surrender: mass murder" a bipartisan issue.:brickwall:
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:58 am
@thysin,
Interesting idea,

But I think a more accurate way to put it (which would make a difference in its relevance here) would be that instead of saying...

thysin wrote:
... to know peace you must know war. To be happy you must know sadness.

That to fully appreciate peace one would have to know war; to appreciate happiness one must know sadness. It's not that we wouldn't "know" or otherwise enjoy such peacefulness, its simply that it's antithesis (the contrast that makes us more appreciate peace) wouldn't be there for comparison.

Thanks
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:32 pm
@Khethil,
thysin wrote:
Do you think we would be happy if we didn't have war? I know that may sound kind of illogical but I don't think we would be. The only way I think we could all be happy and live in peace is if there was only one of us...or if everyone was exactly the same. There will always be people who disagree with you and as long as there is someone who disagrees with someone else there will always be war. I too wish that we could all get along and in theory that is possible, however it would be extremely difficult and unlikely to get everyone to agree on one thing...even if it is peace.

Why must everyone be exactly the same in order for there to be peace? Tibet completely demilitarized and remained that way for many, many years, yet the Tibetan people were not all exactly the same.

I also do not understand the argument: disagreement, thus, war. I was arguing with a friend the other day; he thinks John Lennon was the better artist, I think Bob Dylan. Yet we did not fight. Instead, we laughed and joked through our disagreement.

Don't get me wrong, I, like you, also find worldwide peace remarkably unlikely to occur any time soon. However, when a military powerhouse demilitarizes and manages to thrive for centuries as a demilitarized nation, I think we have to at least recognize the possibility for peace.
thysin

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:51 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I suppose I should have clarified a bit, as I did not mean it to be interpreted that literally although I certainly stated it that way. I do agree some people can like chocolate and still be friends with those who don't. I don't agree that you can live in any sustainable peace even if everyone had the same goal, because not everyone will agree on how to achieve that goal. If someone has a different opinion on how to achieve a goal, that is a threat to the validity of your argument and if you didn't try to disprove or eliminate the opposing opinion then you are admitting yours could be wrong...and generally humans don't like to admit when they are wrong...so following that to it's conclusion, in my opinion, you would find war.
I just feel like everything, no matter what we do as humans, balances out over a long enough period of time. I suppose that's why I don't feel as bad about war because I can believe that at some point we will see the flip side of that coin.

thysin
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:09 pm
@thysin,
I'm not sure that disagreement on means to an end is necessarily a threat to a given proposal on how to achieve the end. I take your point that, for many, this sort of disagreement is threatening and can lead to violence; but this seems to be a reason why human society is not peaceful nowrather than being a reason why human society cannot be peaceful at some future time.
0 Replies

thysin

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:15 pm
@JDeMers,
I will agree with that, anything is possible and one day we might be mature enough as a species to be able to be peaceful, but I doubt it. Even knowing what we know now about our nature doesn't change it. And taking Khethil's adaptation of the appreciation idea I don't think I want us to get to that point for that very reason. I use Frank Herbert a lot in this line of thinking because the later books in his Dune chronicles explore it in depth in Leto's Peace or the Golden Path. We wouldn't be human in the sense that we now know it...we would be something else, you might call it evolution I would call it an aberration.
0 Replies