Effect of studying philosphy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:26 pm
Do you have the same feeling as mine with regard to the view of human life in general as to the effect of studying philosophy?Since I started reading treatises and philosophies from different eras, the barrier of centuries and cultures seem to have been gone. I mean I do not feel that these men lived so many years ago, I feel that the quality of humans were the same as ever. Every change, deterioration or improvements of thought are just improvements of thoughts themselves, but the quality of human is still the same.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:43 pm
@Patty phil,
Because Western Philosophy only goes back to Thales, I feel that that humanity entered this era of history only 2500-3000 years ago. We are still in this era. Maybe one day nuclear war or some other near extinction level event will destroy most of has happened in this era and open a new era for humanity
No0ne

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:59 pm
@Patty phil,
Patty wrote:
Do you have the same feeling as mine with regard to the view of human life in general as to the effect of studying philosophy?Since I started reading treatises and philosophies from different eras, the barrier of centuries and cultures seem to have been gone. I mean I do not feel that these men lived so many years ago, I feel that the quality of humans were the same as ever. Every change, deterioration or improvements of thought are just improvements of thoughts themselves, but the quality of human is still the same.

The basic foundation of "life" has slightly changed over the eras, and therefore the quality of humanity has slightly changed over the eras, regardless of the improvements of intellect and intelligence...
0 Replies

Welshie

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:11 pm
@Patty phil,
Personally I think humans in ancient times were just as intelligent, if not far more intelligent, than we are today. We may be more technologically and scientifically advanced (though some ancient Civilizations like Sumeria come close), but that is an accumulation of knowledge. The human mind has always been the same, and every culture has its philosophers, known or unknown.
0 Replies

No0ne

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:17 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
Because Western Philosophy only goes back to Thales, I feel that that humanity entered this era of history only 2500-3000 years ago. We are still in this era. Maybe one day nuclear war or some other near extinction level event will destroy most of has happened in this era and open a new era for humanity

Food, water, air, shelter, entertainment, and love...

Humanity will seek them, make them, protect them, and even kill for them.

So how will such change after such an event?
Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 03:45 pm
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:
Food, water, air, shelter, entertainment, and love...

Humanity will seek them, make them, protect them, and even kill for them.

So how will such change after such an event?

It's not that we'll stop needing food, water, air, entertainment, love, etc. It's how we'll need it. How will civilization progress if the next era of humanity loses what have learned so far? If the knowledge and philosophical thinking we've gained in the last 3000 years and possibly more were suddenly wiped out by nuclear war...
0 Replies