Counter to the Evidentialist Atheist

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 12:39 am
The evidentialist claims that it is irrational or unreasonable to hold a belief that has insufficient evidence.

Belief in God is purported to be one such belief that has insufficient or inadequate or poor evidence. (Either there's so much obvious counterevidence or the evidence one has is lacking or one simply dogmatically holds the belief without ever searching for evidence in the first place.)

Rationality and reasonableness are often construed as either intellectual obligations or duties or cognitive faculty.

To be irrational or unreasonable is to ignore or reject your intellectual duty or obligation; or, alternatively, to be irrational or unreasonable is to be in a shoddy or unfortunate cognitive mode or to have a cognitive defect.
Intellectual Duty as Rationality Claim: If you have insufficient evidence for your belief, then you ignore your intellectual duty.

Cognitive Health as Rationality Claim: If you have insufficient evidence for your belief, then you have some cognitive deficiency. (You might be caught under some illusion or "drugged" or whatever.)

Counter 1:

Intellectual duties are imposed on us by others, standards that we have to meet. I highly doubt there's any reason to suppose that we have intellectual duties insofar as our beliefs in God, etc. What's more, surely one cannot suppose reasonably that we have an intellectual obligation to have evidence for all of our beliefs, particularly those beliefs which the belief in God reasons upon.

Counter 2:

Do you really want to claim religious people (those disposed to believe in God) all have a cognitive defect? (What about theologians and esteemed theistic philosophers and scientists? Wouldn't you at the same time worry that their "defect" bleeds into their other intellectual efforts?)

But what exactly does it mean to be cognitively non-defective? That is, cognitively in working order? This isn't so clear. Ultimately, it seems, you'll have to give some underpinning metaphysical and epistemological account of what cognitively healthy or intellectually up-to-snuff means. But if you're atheistic, you likely already have preoccupations with, and commitments to, metaphysical and epistemological stances about human (working and non-working) cognition. But that's just circular!

---
These are all very loose characterizations of Alvin Plantinga's arguments found in "Theism, Atheism, and Rationality".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 846 • Replies: 1
No top replies

KaseiJin

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:13 am
@nerdfiles,
Having had been away for a while, and yet not fully free to use any great amount of time on line, I'd first like to acknowledge that I do hope to get back with you, nerdfiles on another thread. For now, a question here, firstly, please.

"Cognitive faculty," would appear to be the key point here. I would not want to suggest, nor confess, that to be rational, or reasonable, the majority of academics would demand a certain determined level (or degree) of rational or reasonable cognitive power that each and every human brain in the world must meet.

Therefore I would argue that the former predicate of the segment, namely, "To be irrational or unreasonable is to ignore or reject your intellectual duty or obligation; or, alternatively, to be irrational or unreasonable is to be in a shoddy or unfortunate cognitive mode or to have a cognitive defect," would have no real basis in academically minded circles--whereas the later portion would, however.

What this would seem to mean, to me, at least, then, is that for one to fulfill their intellectual duty (if we were to agree to use such a term) would simply be for them to use as much of the cognitive capacity that that brain would possess--and we know for a fact that we'll find a fairly wide spectrum, continuum of cognitive brain states and capacites.

This much for now. There appears to be some glitch(es?) somewhere in elements leading up to the premises that the counter points you have outlined springboard from. I hope to see if I can identify those (if in fact there are actually any, or whether it is my having missed some finer points along the way), so as to verify or deny the points made. Please do give me some time, I'm loaded with a overweight 'things to do' list.
0 Replies