Elmud

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:31 pm
We lost our first child. He was a boy. Name of Joseph. He was stillborn. My wife had developed a condition known as pre-eclampsia. She had protein in her urine, and her blood pressure shot up to 200/110. The doctors told us that the high blood pressure had kind of choked off the placenta, and the baby did not receive sufficient nutrients to sustain him. We asked what caused this condition and they said they did not know. I've had three daughters after our son, and they all made it, although, she had pre-eclampsia with all of them. Just not as severe.

My question is, if there is anyone out there who has a thought on the matter, are there cases where a man and woman are not biologically compatable? I heard someone say once that they thought this possibly may be a cause of pre-eclampsia. I am o-positive. She is ab-negative. I was just wondering if we were biologically, incompatable. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,842 • Replies: 3
No top replies

salima

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:21 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;54138 wrote:
We lost our first child. He was a boy. Name of Joseph. He was stillborn. My wife had developed a condition known as pre-eclampsia. She had protein in her urine, and her blood pressure shot up to 200/110. The doctors told us that the high blood pressure had kind of choked off the placenta, and the baby did not receive sufficient nutrients to sustain him. We asked what caused this condition and they said they did not know. I've had three daughters after our son, and they all made it, although, she had pre-eclampsia with all of them. Just not as severe.

My question is, if there is anyone out there who has a thought on the matter, are there cases where a man and woman are not biologically compatable? I heard someone say once that they thought this possibly may be a cause of pre-eclampsia. I am o-positive. She is ab-negative. I was just wondering if we were biologically, incompatable. Thanks.

i am truly sorry, elmud.

i had pre-eclampsia, also known as toxemia, when my son was born. he survived, and i am told i was in more danger than he was at the time, but he does have anomalies that may or may not have been a result of the situation, no one knows. this was 30 years ago, and at the time no one knew what caused pre-eclampsia. i never heard of the theory you mention, though.

i never heard of anyone having had it happen so many times, either. i would guess it is due to something regarding your wife's condition, if not her blood type maybe something else, but not what you are guessing.

i think in cases where the man and woman are not biologically compatible, no pregnancy would result at all. but even that i have not heard of.

would you like me to do some research on the internet and see what i can find out? maybe they have narrowed down some causes in the last 30 years that i dont know about...
Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:44 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;54138 wrote:
So sorry about your loss, Elmud.

Preeclampsia is not a matter of incompatibility between couples. It well may happen with additional pregnancies (it often does), but it can be managed extremely aggressively to prevent bad outcomes.

Your blood type discrepancy IS significant because she is Rh-negative and you Rh-positive (the ABO incompatibility is not significant when the mother is type AB, because she's tolerant of A and B -- O is just the absence of A or B; but she is intolerant of the Rh factor)... but that has nothing to do with preeclampsia. It's also easily manageable with a blood product called Rhogam.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:46 pm
@salima,
Yeah. That was a little over thirty years ago for me too. Its okay though. My son is in a better place than this and,,well,,,other things have changed too. Life goes on. Thx. Salima.
0 Replies