Elmud

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:49 am
This is one of many things that I know very little about. I remember, many years ago, a man by the name of Leo Buscaglia. I watched him speak on the public broadcasting channel. I don't recall much of what he was talking about. Too long ago I guess.

One of the things I remember is that fundamental Christianity was opposed to this religion or philosophy. Is it a religion, or is it a philosophy? And, why was fundamental Christianity opposed to it? Just curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 952 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Parapraxis

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:57 pm
@Elmud,
Humanism is quite a broad term. It can often be used as a synonym for "atheist", and (for better or for worse) many humanists take atheism, or agnosticism), as a central tenet of humanism.

However the broader category might be better understand as appealing to rationality and free thought, often with an emphasis on reasoned arguments and logic, as well as scientific endevour. I see no properties of humanism that align it as a religion, it might be better understood as a philosophy or at least a set of principles based on philosophy.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:36 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
This is one of many things that I know very little about. I remember, many years ago, a man by the name of Leo Buscaglia. I watched him speak on the public broadcasting channel. I don't recall much of what he was talking about. Too long ago I guess.

One of the things I remember is that fundamental Christianity was opposed to this religion or philosophy. Is it a religion, or is it a philosophy? And, why was fundamental Christianity opposed to it? Just curious.

Para is pretty much on target here. I'd like to emphasize that although humanist has - in the vernacular - become associated with atheist thought, there are a number of humanist varieties that are rich in religion.

I'm working through a fantastic book right now (link) that has a very nice section on the development of the humanist movement in the 17th-19th century.

Here are two sites I found that help explain Humanism pretty well: [INDENT]What is Humanism? - American Humanist Association
Are you a Humanist? - Institute for Human Studies
[/INDENT]Good luck
0 Replies

Smiley451

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:08 pm
@Elmud,
Fundamental Christianity opposes Humanism because Humanism often states that humans are the ultimate power of the universe. Humanism was also a popular philosophy in the Roman Empire, during the birth of the church; it was Christianity's first opposition.
0 Replies