Forum skins/themes/styles

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:12 pm
I have been taking my existing forum layout work and using other imagesets and stylesheets to create identical layouts in other colors.

You can edit your profile and select a select a different Board style.

Note: The forum styles do not change the design of the entire site, just the forums.

Posting text in colors other than the default may render your post illegible to users who opt to use different colored themes.

At the time of this writing we have the default style, a green one, a black one and a softer version of the default style.

In the near future you can expect to see a grey theme, and several "plain" themes that will be less image intensive and will be much faster for dial-up users.

In the distant future there will be some very unique styles created that are not typical of forum software. These styles will be designed from scratch and tested extensively so they might not appear for months.

Once the basic structure of these new styles (which may become the default site design in a future version of the site) is made different imagesets and color schemes will be added.

I'd like some feedback on what basic colors you would like to see added to future forum themes. Please don't amke specific requests and don;t link to other sites whose design you'd like us to emulate as taht is far ahead of our current plans.

What we hope to accomplish now is simply to determine what color schemes the members woudl most like to see.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 996 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:19 pm
I like the softer diffused tones of color rather then the glaring neon colors. I also like the appearance of a family of complimentary color values and definitely like and appreciate the high contrast between text color and background colors. Makes it much easier on the eyes to read the boards in many different lighting environments.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:31 pm
I'm trying out the black version. It looks cool, but it will take some getting used to.

I previously tried the other versions, but prefer the standard colors to either the subgreen or subice.

As for other colors, I like blue... (since you asked...)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
I use the default "Able to Know" format. Since you asked, I checked the other ones out.

Black- I find that color combination too shrill, and not at all easy on the eyes.

Green-Not quite as shrill, but still a bit too "in your face".

Subice- Find that layout very dreary, and not very pleasant to look at.

I think that they grey has possibilities, but IMO you need to have a medium shade that has a bit of warmth to it.

On my desktop, I use a plain color that is something between an aqua and a turquoise, a little more over to the turquoise side.. I find it very easy to look at.

FYI: Hue-120, saturation-240, Lum 48, red-0, green 102, Blue 102.

I think that a lighter value of that color would make for a pretty, eye pleasing background.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:47 pm
Oh, as to asthetics the default site will always avoid "shrill" and gaudy but the themes are not color combinations I'd choose.

The future ones will be, so don't worry about asthetics as I'll be making those from scratch. I just wanna know the colors.

So far:

blue
aqua/turquoise
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:50 pm
I tried them all as well...
The Black was just a bit much for my taste

The green--much like the A2K but green I thought-either one would do
and
Subice-eh, dull but workable-liked it better than the black if that helps at all Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:53 pm
Existing skins:

Black: The black background appears more like a chocolate brown on my screen. The orange/brown color scheme is alright. The whitish background of the ads tends to spoil the overall appearance but it is a skin I could get used to but would prefer the background being a truer black color.

Green: Needs a bit more contrast between the green text color and the green backgrounds. The eyes have to work a lot harder to read it. The problem of the ad backgrounds spoiling the appearance is solved with this skin theme.

Subice: It's alright, not one to get excited about. I prefer the default skin to this one.

Suggested color themes: Mauves, forest greens, pastels, southwestern colors, seacoastal colors, cool metalics, warm metalics, sunset colors.

Colors to avoid: Greenish yellows. Go for the redish orange yellows instead.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:55 pm
Craven, I like both the default and subdice. I have never liked green and the black is just too much for mes yeux.
If I could make one simple request it would be to tint the scroll bar a wee bit darker. I find it blends too easily with the background and I lose it.
Aside from that, Keep up the good work. This site is a jewel.
Ceili
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:58 pm
Oh, I like subdice. . . I agree on the black and green, however. . . maybe a softer green, like that alternate XP scheme?
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:59 pm
<sigh> subdice isn't really a word, is it? perhaps it's early bedtime for me tonight. . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 04:09 am
I'm a purple girl.
0 Replies

e n d e r

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 06:41 pm
Out of the available schemes, I like subice.

On the IMDb message boards I use pastels, which is a pale yellow with pale green writing on the messages, and blue writing on the index. It sounds disgusting, but it's actually quite soothing on mine eyes Smile .
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:06 pm
Subice is easy on the eyes Cool and happens to be a great ocean/sky color.

Black I cannot use.

Subgreen is pretty but I don't use it.

Violet and light gold are nice colors together Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:13 pm
Of the alternate themes I liked subice as well. But, I'm sticking with the original.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:27 pm
Just changed again: from green to subice.
Black is elegant, but not easy to follow.

e_n_d_e_r wrote:
On the IMDb message boards I use pastels, which is a pale yellow with pale green writing on the messages, and blue writing on the index. It sounds disgusting, but it's actually quite soothing on mine eyes Smile .

How did you do that?
On the IMDB message board I go default, and can't see how I can change colors.
0 Replies

e n d e r

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:57 pm
Hi fbaezer. To change your IMDb theme, you have to go to your profile, scroll down to Display Options and then choose from the drop-down menu in the Theme box.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, just write me again Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 07:18 pm
Thanks e_n_d_e_r, I chose "Santa Fe".

(don't understand how you chose "pastels" Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 07:54 pm
On the profile choices, if this is still a question -

I love the present a2k default choice.
Hate the black.
Despise the green.
Am somewhat bored with subice.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:12 am
display
e_n_d_e_r wrote:
Hi fbaezer. To change your IMDb theme, you have to go to your profile, scroll down to Display Options and then choose from the drop-down menu in the Theme box.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, just write me again Very Happy
I can't find Display Options - could this be because I use a Mac? Or am I really going blind!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
Clary, it refers to your IMDB Message Board Display Options.
You click Message Board. On the upper right side, right below "Main Boards", it says "My profile". You click there, and you'll find Display Options on the upper left side of the page.
0 Replies