The god of different religions

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:35 am
I going to list all the gods of religion but when I got up to a thousands or so I thought not, it would just take up bandwidth

So I will bounce off with just one The god of Mormons of Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints

This "god" is a physical highly evolved alien from another planet, whose off spring is Jesus his illegitimate son via the virgin Mary

No disrespect to any Mormon of the Forum I just find it hard or impossible to accept just as I do for thousands of other gods
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 977 • Replies: 10
No top replies

nameless

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 03:16 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;74990 wrote:
I just find it hard or impossible to accept...

And hence, you are not a Mormon.
So?
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:45 pm
@nameless,
nameless;75013 wrote:
And hence, you are not a Mormon.
So?

Are you one I meant no disrespect only their god is not the god of my understanding.

The God of my understanding is not some highly evolved entity. It is the very cause of all existence. The only uncaused cause
nameless

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 01:35 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;75518 wrote:
Are you one I meant no disrespect only their god is not the god of my understanding.

No, I am not a Mormon. I was making a point.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:36 am
@nameless,

So I will bounce off with just one The god of Mormons of Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints

This "god" is a physical highly evolved alien from another planet, whose off spring is Jesus his illegitimate son via the virgin Mary

According to what source do Mormons believe that God is a highly evolved alien from another planet, and that Jesus is his illegitimate son on earth?

It is true that Mormons believe that God has a physical body similar to that of humans, but that he is an alien from another planet and so forth does not seem to be part of their belief.

God is your loving Heavenly Father
xris

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
well one things for certain they would never consider him as black or female.What an obnoxious faith that is,filled with prejudice and deception,but then are they not all filled with sexist undervalued individuals.God is not for our understanding he is above our mortal understanding.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 02:56 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I was actually raised Mormon; fell away about age 17 or so.

Yes it is amazing; the different gods out there that are believed in. I try not to berate or deride their followers. As far as god being an "alien"; that's a bit of a stretch, but there is one reference in one of their scriptures that refers to the "place" god lives (if memory serves). This place has been interpreted by some to be "a planet". Sure, I suppose that works.

As far as being down on females: That'd be the priesthood; a collection of ordained offices where males are given 'authority' and 'powers' depending on what I'll call their Rank. Females aren't included in this.

It's an interesting religion; but I personally see it as no better nor worse than any other. It does has some differentiating aspects (additional scriptures, than just the bible, this Priesthood thing, baptism for the dead - yep, they're trying to get everyone baptised, and a few more).

Interesting topic. I find the study of the gods man has invented to be revealing about his needs, motives, ideals and values. Very telling indeed.

Thanks - good stuff
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:28 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;75666 wrote:
According to what source do Mormons believe that God is a highly evolved alien from another planet, and that Jesus is his illegitimate son on earth?

It is true that Mormons believe that God has a physical body similar to that of humans, but that he is an alien from another planet and so forth does not seem to be part of their belief.

God is your loving Heavenly Father

This is not an insult to LDS or Mormon people, who are usually great kind moral gentle people, of which for a small time as a youth I was one.

It is a reflection of their beliefs

Is the God of Mormonism the God of the Bible

The Mormon god therefore began as an "intelligence" somewhere out in the Universe the same way they teach all men begin. He then became a "spirit" person in the heaven of some world out in the Universe when he was born as a "spirit" baby to the exalted man-become-god of that world.

Thus there was a time in his earlier life that the Mormon god was not a god but a mortal sinful man who continued the process of "eternal progression" (going from an intelligence to a god).

As a "human" person he received a physical body when his human parents gave birth to a child. After living a "worthy" life of many good works in his physical life, he died, was resurrected and went to the Celestial heaven where he was exalted to godhood.

Near center of the universe near the planet Kolob, where the counsel of the gods of the Universe meet, he was recognized for his good works during his life and was assigned be the god of the earth.

Thus, this exalted man-become-god came to earth with his many wives and began to produce "spirit" babies by the sexual relations in heaven and he populated the earth and all the people on earth are his children.

As stated earlier he with his many wives produced the angels, Jesus, Lucifer, and all the people who are on the earth first in heaven as his "spirit children.

Thus the LDS god is the literal father of all people on earth because all people pre-existed in heaven where they were sexually conceived by their man-god of flesh and bone. When they call him "Heavenly Father" they mean more than being God. He is their physical father as well. This means that men are the brothers of angels, Jesus and Lucifer

The God of the Bible is Infinite.

The Bible says God is infinite. This refers to God in relation to space. God created the vastness of the space of the Universe and thus God must be greater that His Creation. Being infinite God is not limited to space in a material Universe. Note how the following passages present this truth: 1 Kings 8:27,

"But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?" 2 Chron. 2:6, "But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? who am I then, that I should build him an house, save only to burn sacrifice before him?" Jeremiah 23:24,

"Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD." Isaiah 66:1,

"Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:16 pm
@Alan McDougall,
First of all I really don't see why this would be an insult to LDS folks. In a purely descriptive, somewhat biased style, it is however pretty accurate to the doctrine.

One clarification, The God of this Earth is also the god of many 'earths' numerous as the sands of the sea to rip off some scriptorial jargon.

Like most religions that use the Bible as a doctrinal pillar of scripture, when the bible clashes with LDS doctrine it is claimed to be either translated incorrectly Article of faith #8 The Articles of Faith or interpreted incorrectly. This is made convenient through the doctrine of modern revelation articvle of faith #9 and an oft quoted by LDS gem Amos 3:7

So given the nature of the affor mentioned and the nature of the word eternal eternal - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary , in that eternal is the abiding fellowship with God, it is both legitimate to say that the LDS God is the God of the Bible and that the LDS God is not the God of the Bible Depending on your interpretation of the God of the Bible.

LDS doctrine within the confines of its own doctrine of progression to said Godhood is very pragmatic, in the sense that, that which is revealed is that which is essential to the progression. This 'need-to-know' relationship with God is beneficial in that, that which his people are not prepared for is not given them. So in this pragmatic vein of thought it is not inconcievable that the 'God of All' is simply the God of all a people needs to know to progress to the level at which that God is. It is not polytheistic to recognize the possible existence of more than one God, it is polytheistic to worship more than one.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:52 pm
@Alan McDougall,
I going to list all the gods of religion but when I got up to a thousands or so I thought not, it would just take up bandwidth

No disrespect to any Mormon of the Forum I just find it hard or impossible to accept just as I do for thousands of other gods

what you are talking about alan is not any god at all but your idea of a certain group's definition of one. there is no reason for you to hold it as your own unless you want to do so.

people create their own gods according to their needs. why do we criticise their beliefs? criticise their actions if you must...and then on an individual basis, rather than lumping people into a group and calling them all the same. you have your god alan, and you have described him extensively, which is fine. but to randomly pull out someone else's ...

maybe i am not understanding your intention. i assume what you have stated in your op is presented for acceptance or rebuttal or what?
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:01 am
@salima,
salima;76012 wrote:
what you are talking about alan is not any god at all but your idea of a certain group's definition of one. there is no reason for you to hold it as your own unless you want to do so.

people create their own gods according to their needs. why do we criticise their beliefs? criticise their actions if you must...and then on an individual basis, rather than lumping people into a group and calling them all the same. you have your god alan, and you have described him extensively, which is fine. but to randomly pull out someone else's ...

maybe i am not understanding your intention. i assume what you have stated in your op is presented for acceptance or rebuttal or what?

Hi Salima,

Of course you are correct, I do have my own idea and my own perception of God, God to me is the unfathomable Uncaused Cause of all existence.

I dont impose my idea of god on another and I am well aware that I could be absolutely wrong
0 Replies