What separates a fundamentalist from an extremist?

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 02:36 am
This is an ongoing problem of mine, the fundamentalist come knocking at my door or your door uninvited, you become a captive audience and they want you to except that you are going to hell or will cease to exist if you don't join them and conform exactly to their life patters

I'm not sure what your definition of fundamentalist is, but here's mine: A fundamentalist is someone who believes that theirs is the only true path, and anyone who does not follow their ways is evil.

The fundamentalist sees only two options for the rest of humanity - join us or suffer the consequences. Other nations are there to either missionize or destroy, and any belief system that does not conform to theirs is to be eradicated.

A fundamentalist is not the same as an extremist. There are those who are passionate or even extreme about their own beliefs, whether a born-again Christian, Jew or devout Muslim, radical liberal or die-hard atheist. We can debate the pros and cons of each of these belief systems, but a strong conviction alone doesn't make you a fundamentalist. It is when you cannot accept that there may be another road to truth that not everyone has to fit in to your own world view - that is when you have strayed into the realm of fundamentalism.

If we really love God so much, shouldn't we also love all His children, who are created in His image
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 457 • Replies: 0
No top replies