I'm seaching for John (old and new)

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 12:07 am
John, I know you had a beloved English Springer. I have one who is now 12 years old and I want to pick your brain. She is in very good health, but she has developed selective hearing and I want to know if you encountered the same behaviour with your spanial. I have a soft spot for spaniels, but here in the US most of them are nutty as fruitcakes. A lot of them are fun and exceptionally affectionate, but nutty all the less. If you don't want to exchange info on this forum, email me at [email protected]. I am a sucker for dogs (and many other animals) and have even made provisions in my will to make sure they live out their lives in harmony, hey anything could happen, you have to make plans. Please contact me! Janice (glitterbag)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,783 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:00 am
Hey, glitterbag. How in the world are you faring? Through the use of a good bloodhound via the UK, it appears that John (oldandknew) has been under the weather a bit, but will return to A2K soon. If you think spaniels in the U.S. are a bit nutty, you should have known my American Eskimo, Domino. Shocked
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:01 am
<wag wag> Can I have a biscuit now ?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:06 am
Gautam, you funny thing. Very Happy Pat, pat, pat. Good boy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:21 am
For some reason, I felt the need to post this Corky and the Juice Pigs song (must have been the mention of Eskimos and Gautam's fine presence):

I'm the only gay Eskimo,
I'm the only one I know.
I'm the only gay Eskimo,
In my tribe!
I go out seal hunting with my best friend Tarka,
But all I want to do is get into his parka.
I'm the only gay Eskimo,
In my tribe.
Well, me and Muk-Fluk-Chuk-Buk, we both like blubber,
But me, I've got this crazy fetish for rubber.
I'm the only gay Eskimo,
In my tribe.
I make a wish on the Northern Lights,
That I could find a decent pair of whaleskin tights.
I'm the only gay Eskimo,
In my tribe.
And the seals they sing now...
These cold winter nights
Are taking their toll;
I even get excited when I see the North Pole
See the North Pole.
I'm the only gay Eskimo (only gay Eskimo)
I'm the only one I know (I'm the only one I know)
I'm the only gay Eskimo,
In my tribe.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:40 am
Thats it - I am off to the North Pole
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:41 am
It's cold there, and not too many amenities.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:43 am
Oh - don't they have airconditioned igloos and V8 engine sleds ? And Gucci parkas ?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:12 am
Wow, I didn't expect to see anything and all you folks showed up. I am sorry to hear John is under the weather, but I have a cure for that, get a dog. I have a Vizsla and a Spaniel and I don't know which one is crazier. Actually I guess I am.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:58 pm
Hi Glitterbag. You lucky thing, a SPRINGER SPANIEL eh. They are the daftest of the daft. The whole breed has to share one communual brain cell. ha ha ha. They are fantastic dogs tho. Yes they do have selective hearing. Come here, wipe those muddy paws, no you are not having my steak, are words that go right past them. Janice you can't help but love them. I still miss my old boy 18 months after he died & I still have his collar buckled onto my desk and countless pictures of him on my PC.
I wrote a poem about my dog, I'll mail it to you on that address you posted.
Take care, There is a song , "Love me Love my Dog"

love me love my dog lyrics by peter schelly

Freedom is a dusty road heading to a highway
Californian skyways will lead us where we wanna stay
Suddenly a summer breeze breaks a misty mornin'
There's a new day dawning we'd better be on our way.
So love me love my dog
We've lived the road too long to break up
Love me live my life and travel through this land
I can't leave a friend I promised that before we started
So love me love my dog
If you can't understand then we'll heap up land.
When I leave this town today Lord you know I'll miss you
Baby I won't kiss you. you'll only make me wanna stay

Though it's hard to say goodbye can't you see it's over
Guess I'm just a loner heading on his way.

I tell you now
Love me love my dog . . . . .
So love me love my dog
If you can't understand
Then I guess we'll have to move on out up land.

C'mon boy!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:02 pm
Hey Gautem, just wanna thank you for the "bell on the the old dog & bone" the other evening. You are one of the best, brother. Made me feel a lot better

Letty I'll write you soon.

john
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:04 pm
Just glad you're feeling better, John.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
Hello John, My first husband made me get rid of my cocker spaniel because he said Toby took too much time away from the baby. Fortunately one of my co-workers took the sweet dog, and he lived out his life with a bunch of teenagers and trips back and forth to the Atlantic Ocean. If I had been smarter as a young woman, I would have kept the dog and got rid of the husband, something that I was compelled to do several years later. He was a selfish and jealous man who didn't want me to have any comfort or support from anybody, including a dog that was devoted to me. I'm not proud of letting the dog go, but I'm happy I let the man go. Now Rodney and I have two 12 year old dogs that sleep with us and have the run of the house. I was lucky, I met a man who has a soft spot for animals and small children.

Thanks for sharing the poem, I enjoyed it and will send it on to my pet loving friends. Final thought, you should never trust anyone who doesn't like dogs.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:03 pm
Janice, If we had visitors, i always made sure Freddie met & saw them as soon as they arrived. If he accepted them & spread himself out under the table; things were fine. If he sat & watched them, I knew I should keep an eye on them as well. He was a good guard dog as well. He'd bark at all callers & some made a hasty retreat. One guy thought we had a German Shepperd
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:07 pm
I've missed ya, OaKMaN.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:14 pm
Nice to see you back OaK. Now, is a Springer dumber than an Irish Setter or a Dalmation? I would have a hard time believing that. We have a Cavalier King Charles who is pretty smart for his breed, although a tad crazy with guests until he decides to fall asleep.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:38 pm
cav, first Spriners aren't dumb, they are just flat lunatics. My girl is 12 and when I come home, she can still fling herself in the air almost to my face, and I'm 5'6". Part of their appeal is their markings, their face mask gives them kind of a goofy, dopey, innocent look.

For John, My old Springer Mad Max chased off a burgler one time, and his bark and Chloe's bark are pretty intimidating if your lurking outside a house. Both my dogs, mother our whole family, as well as get goofy as hell. About 8 years ago, my aged mother-in-law lived with us and she was getting pretty frail (around 86 years old). She always slept with her door closed, on one winter night the dogs jumped up (off their royal sleeping perches) ran down the hall and started whining and barking at her door. She had fallen out of bed, broke her collarbone and was barely able to make much more sound than a whimper. If the dog's hadn't been on top of it, she might have been on the floor in clilled air all night long.

There are too many people who have dogs that don't deserve the loyalty they receive from these wonderful companions. I hope I always deserve their devotion.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 03:53 am
oldandknew wrote:
Hey Gautem, just wanna thank you for the "bell on the the old dog & bone" the other evening. You are one of the best, brother. Made me feel a lot better

Letty I'll write you soon.

john

No problem mate ! The pleasure was all mine !!!

Just "one" of the best ??? I thught I was the best !! Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:33 am
beth, cav -------- thankyou , it's good to be back & rediscover a little sanity.

Gautam -- didn't wanna make you blush or choke on your curry.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:11 pm
Hey! He's right here! I found him for you, g-bag!
0 Replies