Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:19 pm
Is vengeance a natural human reaction? A wrongdoing rewarded with payback? A need to assert ourselves as dominant and/or righteous? What is it?

I believe that vengence is the human way to assert oneself as a higher authority. We always have some justification, no matter how convincing it may be, all to dissillusion ourselves to how selfish and immature we are being.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,956 • Replies: 32
No top replies

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:22 pm
@xXKanpekiXx,
I think the ability to desire vengeance is one of the most important human attributes. Very noble. An eye for an eye. Its the behavior of an animal that is reflective and values itself.
0 Replies

Abolitionist

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:25 pm
@xXKanpekiXx,
xXKanpekiXx wrote:
Is vengeance a natural human reaction? A wrongdoing rewarded with payback? A need to assert ourselves as dominant and/or righteous? What is it?

I believe that vengence is the human way to assert oneself as a higher authority. We always have some justification, no matter how convincing it may be, all to dissillusion ourselves to how selfish and immature we are being.

yeah aggression against those we percieve to have hurt us is definately natural

to regain our own sense of dominance without our own subjective context that was threatened
0 Replies

Spasiangirl

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:06 am
@xXKanpekiXx,
xXKanpekiXx wrote:

Vengeance is indeed a natural human reaction. Nice people have thoughts about vengeance once in awhile.
0 Replies

rambo phil

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:23 pm
@xXKanpekiXx,
Retribution is a natural reaction to compensate/recover a loss. We are use to a certain state/amount and when that is taken way or altered, we tend to try to repair it or justify it in any form whether it is an eye for an eye or whatever it may be.
Abolitionist

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:46 pm
@xXKanpekiXx,
natural isn't always good it seems
Jay phil

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:49 pm
@Abolitionist,
Spasiangirl
" Vengeance is indeed a natural human reaction. Nice people have thoughts about vengeance once in awhile."

Is it possible to freely choose to negate those thoughts, to not entertain them or feed them?
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 05:46 pm
@rambo phil,
rambo wrote:
Retribution is a natural reaction to compensate/recover a loss. We are use to a certain state/amount and when that is taken way or altered, we tend to try to repair it or justify it in any form whether it is an eye for an eye or whatever it may be.

Even though that is probably the most common intellectual explanation, and always the motive in the law (at least until 'rehabilitation' came into fashion), I think actually the instinct for revenge is agressive, not defensive. It might be in reaction, but it is desireable in itself. A willful creature always requires a venue for testing his will or strength. Humans like to conquer.

Interestingly, Nietzsche thought revenge was based in sadism. He referenced the creditor-debtor relationship as the basis for revenge. Think of the Merchant Of Venice and the pund of flesh; not useful in any way, not compensatory, unless...the compensation is enjoying the suffering of the victim. Something to think about.

By the way, for anyone interested in these sorts of questions (origin of pity, origin of christian love, etc.), The Geneology of Morals is the perfect book to read. Be prepared though for a shock, unless of course your an immorial swine like me. :bigsmile:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:42 am
@BrightNoon,
Revenge? It's pure ego - delusional. Revenge will not lead to anything positive.

I agree, to an extent, with Neitzsche - revenge is sadism. But it is also masochism. Sure, revenge is natural, but as Abolitionist points out not all natural reactions are "good".
BrightNoon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
How could revenge be masochistic?

Why is the egoist delusional, especially when taking revenge? I would say that false humility, pity, bitterness and self-abnegating asceticism are delusional. Why do practitioners of those nasty arts need to delude themselves; because they cannot bear to look at themselves. Those who are wretched, ugly, weak or stupid like to discount the importance of happyness, beauty, strength or cunning. They make a virtue out of their deficiencies in compensation.

Just a thought...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
How could revenge be masochistic?

Because having a vengeful attitude should be embarrassing to the agent; because vengeful behavior causes harm to the agent's psychology by reinforcing the tendency to employ violence, whether physical or psychological, as a means to an end.

BrightNoon wrote:
Why is the egoist delusional, especially when taking revenge?

I never mentioned egoists - only that revenge is egotistical, a product of the ego. I would elaborate by saying an inflamed and passionate ego.

BrightNoon wrote:
I would say that false humility, pity, bitterness and self-abnegating asceticism are delusional.

False humility, and bitterness are delusional. Pity can sometime be delusional - for example, if I pitied Hitler because Nazi Germany was crushed. Pity, though, can sometimes imply that the empathy being shown is dishonest: this sort of false-empathy, just like false humility, is also delusional. However, honest empathy is a healthy human reaction to certain circumstances. For example, if your friend loses a dear parent empathy is hardly delusional.
Joe

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Revenge is still one of those most important matters when it comes to social stability.

It can be looked at as a quick release of emotions and thoughts through harmful tactics. Although I dont believe Revenge is something to be embraced, It is a natural reaction to keep a persons psyche healthy and progressing normally.

On the other hand its also easy because its so instinctual. When it comes to hurting someone emotionally, physically, or mentally, we have to show control and wisdom.

In a world of so much detail and events down to the smallest communities, It is important we adapt to the ever growing population. Meaning that revenge these days can involve too many innocent people.
unfortunately we are a very young species and we still need to stop taking the easier ways(Revenge) out.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 02:35 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Because having a vengeful attitude should be embarrassing to the agent; because vengeful behavior causes harm to the agent's psychology by reinforcing the tendency to employ violence, whether physical or psychological, as a means to an end.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one; we're starting from different, equally unprovable premises. I don't think a vengeful attitude should be ambarassing to the agent, nor that it causes harm to the psyche. I would say that stifling or repressing instincts causes harm to the psyche and that embarassment as guilt (as opposed to embarassment in reponse to failure: e.g. fall down in the ice-rink) is a useless and degenerative emotion. I've been drinking the Nietzsche koolaid, so I'd say guilt is a product of christianity/judaism, in that it is an internalization of feelings of inferiority; i.e. the natural exersize of power by the powerful is renamed sin and the weak are made virtuous by avoiding sinning (which they cannot do anyway, because they are weak). Guilt would then be the punishment for sinning of course.

Quote:
I never mentioned egoists - only that revenge is egotistical, a product of the ego. I would elaborate by saying an inflamed and passionate ego.

You said that revenge is egotistical and that revenge is delusional, so I assumed that you were saying that egoism (and therefore egoists) is delusional. If not, never mind. But I agree that revenge is egotistical. The difference between your whole philosophy and mine is that I view the term 'egotistical' as complementary.

Quote:
False humility, and bitterness are delusional. Pity can sometime be delusional - for example, if I pitied Hitler because Nazi Germany was crushed. Pity, though, can sometimes imply that the empathy being shown is dishonest: this sort of false-empathy, just like false humility, is also delusional. However, honest empathy is a healthy human reaction to certain circumstances. For example, if your friend loses a dear parent empathy is hardly delusional.

I don't equate pity with empathy. Pity I think of as the feeling of obligation to help those in need, which I object to firstly because there is no such obligation and secondly, more importantly, because all true generosity is lost if the giving is obligatory. It's analagous to social programs as a kind of 'mandatory charity.' Empathy is very fine; it can be the expression of a noble and truly generous spirit, as N. would say. Immoral does not always equal mean.
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:13 am
@xXKanpekiXx,
Hi. This is my first post. It's quite a coincidence for me that this post is around, since the idea has been knocking around my mind for weeks now. I'd be interested first of all in knowing the common definition of 'revenge' (the abstract noun rather than transitive verb) and the difference to 'vengeance'. I suppose in my personal use, 'revenge' suggests that I personally was wronged, while 'vengeance' could be avenging another, but that might just be me.

Irrespective of the words, I imagine the two kinds of vengeance evolved quite differently. Personal vengeance is fairly self-explanatory, but I'm not sure I've experienced it, at least since I was a child. Such a trait is useful in even non-cooperative groups.

I've been interested of late in my reactions (or lack of) to different types of wrong-doing to others. I don't know if any of you are from the UK, but there was an incident of violent and sustained child abuse not long ago (the Baby P case - I wouldn't like to describe it but you should be able to Google it) that prevoked immediate (but totally internalised) violent (homocidal?) rage in me (don't judge until you've looked into the case). There have been other cases like this. I don't react this way to, say, serial killers.

I interpret this rage as a vengeful instinct and from an evolutionary psychology PoV it makes perfect sense: It is perhaps necessary for a social group to remove certain of its members to save the group as a whole. Then I got to thinking about a wildlife programme I saw in which, seemingly inexplicably, an entire group of primates turned on one of its members, chased it, caught it and tore it to shreds. It goes without saying that these primates don't live in a perpetual state like this - it has to be triggered somehow.

What surprises me is that if this is not acquired behaviour, we have some fairly complex innate senses of justice and wrongdoing. Perhaps I misjudge myself and this is somehow learned behaviour, though how I would have learned it is beyond me.
Jay phil

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:03 am
@Bones-O,
BrightNoon stated:
"But I agree that revenge is egotistical. The difference between your whole philosophy and mine is that I view the term 'egotistical' as complementary."

Greetings BrightNoon,
I would be very grateful if you could state in more detail what you mean by

your point of view on this matter.

Thanks.
BrightNoon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 03:04 pm
@Jay phil,
Sure Jay, I see your pretty new to the Forum, welcome.

My whole philosophy, both my understanding of the world, and the particular set of values by which I navigate through it, are founded on Ego. I get alot of criticism about this, but in my view everyone acts and thinks in terms of Ego, some are just unwilling to admit it. I reject out of hand all values that are derived from 'moral law', 'moral imperatives,' 'objectivity', 'absolute truth' and so on. Don't take me for a biting, scratching barbarian though. If you met me, you'd probably find me about as polite as the next fellow. I just find 'being polite' 'acting morally' palatable only if I decide which morals to follow. I think its ugly and unhealthy to bow to imaginary external authorities. Charity for example, as I said above, is a noble thing. However, pity, as mandatory or obligatory charity, is grotesque...neither is the supposed law or rule real, nor is the 'good behavior' really admirable because it is coerced.

Thanks for the question
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 05:19 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
I don't think a vengeful attitude should be ambarassing to the agent, nor that it causes harm to the psyche.

You do not think that wishing harm on another human being is psychologically harmful?

BrightNoon wrote:
I would say that stifling or repressing instincts causes harm to the psyche and that embarassment as guilt (as opposed to embarassment in reponse to failure: e.g. fall down in the ice-rink) is a useless and degenerative emotion.

Depends on the instinct, hm? Humans do have an instinct to kill other humans in certain situations: we have territorial instincts. But arn't harmful instincts, instincts which will cause harm to others, harmful? It seems to me that if causing undue harm to others is unnaccetpable, that instincts which promote causing undue harm to others are harmful instincts: perhaps not ones to be repressed, but rather instincts to be explored and and altered by self-exploration as said instincts cause harm to one's self and others.

Are you suggesting that guilt is a useless and degenerative emotion? Guilt: that same emotion that crops up when we have mistreated another human being; guilt, that vital aspect of conscience?

BrightNoon wrote:
I've been drinking the Nietzsche koolaid, so I'd say guilt is a product of christianity/judaism, in that it is an internalization of feelings of inferiority

Except that guilt is a universal human experience - thus, not a product of Christianity/Judiasm.

BrightNoon wrote:
; i.e. the natural exersize of power by the powerful is renamed sin and the weak are made virtuous by avoiding sinning (which they cannot do anyway, because they are weak). Guilt would then be the punishment for sinning of course.

Guilt is no punishment, but the natural human reaction to doing what we feel we should not do.
Further, exercising power is not inherently sinful: Jesus exercised physical power in overturning the money-changing tables in the Temple.

BrightNoon wrote:
You said that revenge is egotistical and that revenge is delusional, so I assumed that you were saying that egoism (and therefore egoists) is delusional. If not, never mind. But I agree that revenge is egotistical. The difference between your whole philosophy and mine is that I view the term 'egotistical' as complementary.

Yep, that's what I'm saying. I would say more on the matter, but I'm not sure how you justify egoism; psychological egoism, moral egoism or what have you.

BrightNoon wrote:
Immoral does not always equal mean.

Right, because meanness implies an intent: one might unintentionally act immorally, or intentionally act immorally without being aware that said action is immoral. However, intentional, conscious acts of immorality necessarily translates to meanness.
Jay phil

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Hi BrightNoon,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum, it's a great place to hang out.

You definitely have a view of the "ego" that I have never herd of before, interesting.
My big problem with the "ego" is that when we so self identify with it and we are so attached to it, it often collides with other big inflated ego's, and it tends to be the root of many conflicts and wars, i.e. "VENGEHCE" and "REVENGE". Your description of how many people relate to ego is right on, but that does not necessarily make it a good state of being. Instead of glorifying ego may be it would be better to not be attached to it, or self identify with it. It really is just a puffed up finite description of my self.

I find this set of statements interesting:

"My whole philosophy, both my understanding of the world, and the particular set of values by which I navigate through it, are founded on Ego."
everyone
This sounds a lot like you are stating an objective, absolute truth here.

And then you say:
'absolute truth' and so on."

Though it is hard to let go of "ego", it can be a life's work.
Just my thoughts.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:45 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You do not think that wishing harm on another human being is psychologically harmful?

No. It may be, but it need not. I will cringe at sadism, though I won't call it immoral, but I have no qualms about revenge.

Quote:
Depends on the instinct, hm? Humans do have an instinct to kill other humans in certain situations: we have territorial instincts. But arn't harmful instincts, instincts which will cause harm to others, harmful? It seems to me that if causing undue harm to others is unnaccetpable, that instincts which promote causing undue harm to others are harmful instincts: perhaps not ones to be repressed, but rather instincts to be explored and and altered by self-exploration as said instincts cause harm to one's self and others.

A man who kills another man causes harm to that man. That is not the issue at hand. I belive we are debating whether or not that action causes harm to the killer, especially in circumstances of revenge. In reference to the second underlined phrase, I say that is not a premise that I accept. That 'causing harm to others is in principle unacceptable' is true only from the perspective of the harmed.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that guilt is a useless and degenerative emotion? Guilt: that same emotion that crops up when we have mistreated another human being; guilt, that vital aspect of conscience?

Yes. Conscience is an illness. Again, do not equate lack of consience with evil intentions; rather, lack of conscience is freedom, freedom to do whatever you may. A person with no conscience whatsoever, observed objectively, might do more 'good' and appear to act more 'morally' than a very conscientious person.

Quote:
Except that guilt is a universal human experience - thus, not a product of Christianity/Judiasm.

Excuse me, I exaggerate. Guilt is the refinement, the cause, the pure distillation of the christian spirit. There qas guilt before and there is guilt in atheists today. Christianity/Judiaism has merely brought forth the highest form of guilt thus far. (or the lowest...)

Quote:
Guilt is no punishment, but the natural human reaction to doing what we feel we should not do.
Further, exercising power is not inherently sinful: Jesus exercised physical power in overturning the money-changing tables in the Temple.

Guilt in the christian/modern sense, the moral sense, is not the same as regret: e.g. for having not killed the deer you were hunting e.g. You assume mankind has always been the same. I think we have evolved; we, some of us anyhow, have acquired this new and vulgar system of values.

Quote:
...I'm not sure how you justify egoism; psychological egoism, moral egoism or what have you.

It seems to me that if an individual is supposed to subordinate his will and his natural instincts to some external authority, the burden of proof lies with the proponents of the external authority: namely, to prove that it exists, to provide absolute justification for an absolute moral law. I can't seem to find it...maybe its in the drawer...

Quote:
Right, because meanness implies an intent: one might unintentionally act immorally, or intentionally act immorally without being aware that said action is immoral. However, intentional, conscious acts of immorality necessarily translates to meanness.

No, not only that. A person who completely rejects all morality, who feels no compulsion to abide by moral law, who does not fear eternal damnation, who does not believe in 'inherent human rights' or any other kind of rights, including for himself, could act in a way that, from the perspective of a moralistic observer, was moral. The point is that moral, abiding by or recognizing a moral law, does not neccessarily equate to the behavior we call 'good;' and immoral, not recognizing moral law, does not neccessarily equate to the behavior we call 'bad.'

Jay:

I was not making any absolute statements; those are my opinions. I did not claim that they were true, just that I suppose that they are true. When I say that I reject out of hand all moral imperatives, absolute truths and so on, I am refering not to my own opinions, but to things, beliefs, ideas, etc which I am supposed to accept 'because they are true.'

No statements are true; there is no such thing as truth in thought. The only truth is reality itself. In other words, it is not possible to truthfully comment on reality, because to be truthful the comment would have to be all that exists. Why should a part of reality (a certain thought) be given the privilage of being that thing in terms of which all reality is defined? And do not forget, that is all thought, reason or statements are: definition, artificial delimitation.

Therefore, I prefer to acceopt only those flawed ideas, from among the larger pool of flawed ideas, which please me. I choose to believe according to the criteria of my own will and taste, as there are no absolute criteria, no wrong answers, no right answers.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:47 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
No. It may be, but it need not. I will cringe at sadism, though I won't call it immoral, but I have no qualms about revenge.

Right, I've gathered that you have no qualms about revenge. But that isn't my point; of course, I have done a terrible job of explaining myself.

It seems to me that we train our minds. By practicing love for others, we train ourselves to naturally respond to others with love. By practicing revenge, we are training ourselves to natural respond to others with the intent to harm (which is vengeance).

BrightNoon wrote:
A man who kills another man causes harm to that man. That is not the issue at hand. I belive we are debating whether or not that action causes harm to the killer, especially in circumstances of revenge.

I want to be sure I understand you: are you saying that the killer is not harmed, in any way, when he kills?

BrightNoon wrote:
In reference to the second underlined phrase, I say that is not a premise that I accept. That 'causing harm to others is in principle unacceptable' is true only from the perspective of the harmed.

So you argue that causing harm to others is just dandy? Is it okay for me to walk around punching people in the face, so long as I can easily get away from their possible vengeance?

BrightNoon wrote:
Yes. Conscience is an illness. Again, do not equate lack of consience with evil intentions; rather, lack of conscience is freedom, freedom to do whatever you may. A person with no conscience whatsoever, observed objectively, might do more 'good' and appear to act more 'morally' than a very conscientious person.

A person without a conscience is a sociopath. Lack of a conscience is a mental disorder, by definition, at least as far as I understand the matter. At least that's the science as I understand it.

Do you really want to argue that feeling bad for bashing in the skull of a young single mother of five is degenerative and sick? Or that having empathy for a rape victim is degenerative and sick? Or that having love for one's children is degenerative and sick?

BrightNoon wrote:
It seems to me that if an individual is supposed to subordinate his will and his natural instincts to some external authority, the burden of proof lies with the proponents of the external authority: namely, to prove that it exists, to provide absolute justification for an absolute moral law. I can't seem to find it...maybe its in the drawer...

You are creating a false dilemma. One does not have to subordinate one's will to an external authority in order to be something other than an egoist. For example, I might be an altruist of my own choosing, acting according to my conscience.

You also create a false dilemma by supposing that an absolute moral law must exist in order for something other than egoism to make sense.

Also, can you not imagine a single claim for which the egoist bears the burden of proof? Perhaps the existence of "self" in the first place?

BrightNoon wrote:
No, not only that. A person who completely rejects all morality, who feels no compulsion to abide by moral law, who does not fear eternal damnation, who does not believe in 'inherent human rights' or any other kind of rights, including for himself, could act in a way that, from the perspective of a moralistic observer, was moral. The point is that moral, abiding by or recognizing a moral law, does not neccessarily equate to the behavior we call 'good;' and immoral, not recognizing moral law, does not neccessarily equate to the behavior we call 'bad.'

Well, sure, we might make mistakes in understanding our observations, and we might not be able to observe all relevant information when making judgments.
The point remains: intentional, conscious acts of immorality are mean.