Theories on Consciousness

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:17 pm
So Im just wondering what you all think are some of the best theories out there right now for understanding the phenomenon of consciousness and why. Some say it may be impossible for us to fully understand the mind/body problem in an ontological sense. However true that may be Im still optimistic about the situation. So shoot...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 14
No top replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:29 pm
@Kielicious,
I guess this is directed at me Kielicious? :bigsmile: If you'd like to get my theory, give me a bit to gather it all together in a somewhat coherent form so we don't get bogged down in ten pages of confusion. I'll be back..

Note: For anyone else in here, K. and I had bit of a tussle a while back. The quote he has posted is indeed mine, but in it I'm commenting on something he said. That is not a proposition of mine. No need to go into the details of it, if you like check out the original context. K. where did you find that, I don't remember the thread's name?
Kielicious

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:41 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
I guess this is directed at me Kielicious? :bigsmile: If you'd like to get my theory, give me a bit to gather it all together in a somewhat coherent form so we don't get bogged down in ten pages of confusion. I'll be back..

Note: For anyone else in here, K. and I had bit of a tussle a while back. The quote he has posted is indeed mine, but in it I'm commenting on something he said. That is not a proposition of mine. No need to go into the details of it, if you like check out the original context. K. where did you find that, I don't remember the thread's name?

This thread wasnt directed towards you. The quote looks like its apart of the thread but its just in my sig. The quote was from your thread in the metaphysics section. Other than that I have no idea what it was called. I found the sentence funny... but lets not rekindle the inferno from before.

But yea if you have anything to say about the topic please go ahead...
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:41 pm
@Kielicious,
You might be interested in reading Daniel Dennett's book "Consciousness Explained."
Kielicious

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
@rhinogrey,
rhinogrey wrote:
You might be interested in reading Daniel Dennett's book "Consciousness Explained."

already read it but thanks
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:21 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
So Im just wondering what you all think are some of the best theories out there right now for understanding the phenomenon of consciousness and why. Some say it may be impossible for us to fully understand the mind/body problem in an ontological sense. However true that may be Im still optimistic about the situation. So shoot...

... if we had a decent theory for cognition, then perhaps we would be able to start making some headway with respect to understanding consciousness ... the initial successes of behavioral robotics have a lot of people talking about the "embodied mind" ... but the fact that the behavioral robotics mantra is "the world is its own best model" leaves a lot of people scratching their heads - if the world is its own best model, where then is the "representation" in the mind that allows us to reason about the world?

Mark Bickhard's approach to this conundrum is to say the question "where is the representation" is a result of a flawed metaphysics ... that is, to ask "where is the representation" is to presume that "representation" is some kind of substance ... Bickhard thinks that a switch over from the entrenched doctrine of "substance metaphysics" to an alternative "process metaphysics" may be productive here - that is, thinking of representation-as-process dissolves many of the problems associated with representation-as-substance and allows us to move forward:

Quote:
Both function and representation can be accounted for with models of self-maintenant and recursively self-maintenant systems - of autonomous systems. Crucial to this account are the internally related functional presuppositions of functional dynamics in a system, especially those of interaction indication and anticipation and their presuppositions about the environment.

The interactive model of representation is just the beginning of the need to re-address all phenomena of the mind free of substance metaphysical blinders and of corresponding encodingist assumptions about representation. That is, to re-address mental phenomena in genuinely dynamic, process terms. Adopting a process perspective does not automatically provide correct models of mental phenomena; it 'simply' clears multiple barriers and aporiae out of the way for the attempted construction of such models.
(Process and Emergence: Normative Function and Representation. http://www.lehigh.edu/~mhb0/ProcessEmergence.pdf Bickhard - CiteSeerX)
Kielicious

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 02:24 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... if we had a decent theory for cognition, then perhaps we would be able to start making some headway with respect to understanding consciousness ... the initial successes of behavioral robotics have a lot of people talking about the "embodied mind" ... but the fact that the behavioral robotics mantra is "the world is its own best model" leaves a lot of people scratching their heads - if the world is its own best model, where then is the "representation" in the mind that allows us to reason about the world?

Mark Bickhard's approach to this conundrum is to say the question "where is the representation" is a result of a flawed metaphysics ... that is, to ask "where is the representation" is to presume that "representation" is some kind of substance ... Bickhard thinks that a switch over from the entrenched doctrine of "substance metaphysics" to an alternative "process metaphysics" may be productive here - that is, thinking of representation-as-process dissolves many of the problems associated with representation-as-substance and allows us to move forward:

(Process and Emergence: Normative Function and Representation. http://www.lehigh.edu/~mhb0/ProcessEmergence.pdf Bickhard - CiteSeerX)

Good stuff paul, thanks for the reply. I too have been interested in process-metaphysics and emergence. I sense a paradigm shift of the sciences in the 21st century...
Doobah47

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 07:05 pm
@Kielicious,
The Eternal Golden Braid works quite well with psychedelic/physics theories of metaphysical certainty/possibilities.

I find the chapters relevant to original actions quite important with regards to consciousness vis a vis the 'action = reaction' concept. For example if each action were one part an original action and two parts reaction (where one is the individual will and the two reactions past-based position and future-based possibility) then our consciousness would not have an equal influence on the individual's situation compared to the temporal structural circumstance.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:31 am
@Doobah47,
Alright, Kielicious, my mistake. I'd appreciate it though if you didn't use that quote of mine, as it does not express any of my views. It's funny (looks stupid) because you've taken it out of the context of the very subtle argument we were engaged in. I think you know that and that's why you've made it your signature. Enough said.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:56 am
@BrightNoon,
With this subject, it might be best to agree on a foundation of some kind before we go into details, yeah? I'd like to ask what the basis of the processing model is; the physical brain + behavior, individual experience, etc?
Kielicious

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:29 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
I'd appreciate it though if you didn't use that quote of mine, as it does not express any of my views.

Say pleeeeeeeeease Wink

BrightNoon wrote:
With this subject, it might be best to agree on a foundation of some kind before we go into details, yeah? I'd like to ask what the basis of the processing model is; the physical brain + behavior, individual experience, etc?

I dont know that much about the processing model to which I was referred. It does sound interesting though and worth a good dive into. Emergence and complexity I do know a little about but unfortunately its a relatively recent science that is only in its beginning phase. Just speculation and hypothesis' about consciousness have come from it and not much else. They have to formulate, quantify, model and find more evidence for support but that takes time...

What kind of foundations are you looking for?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 02:30 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Alright, Kielicious, my mistake. I'd appreciate it though if you didn't use that quote of mine, as it does not express any of my views.
Kielicious wrote:
Say pleeeeeeeeease Wink

I understand it's probably meant tongue-in-cheek, but I think you really need to remove that now. It's unfair badgering of a single user here on the forum.

Thanks
Kielicious

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 02:46 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
I understand it's probably meant tongue-in-cheek, but I think you really need to remove that now. It's unfair badgering of a single user here on the forum.

Thanks

yes mam, I will Wink
Hermes

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 03:39 am
@Kielicious,
I had a pretty good debate with Brightnoon a while back on a theory I made, thread is here.

You can check out my work from any links there probably. I'm in the middle of rewriting it with a conclusion that shall be as computational as I can make it - basically a functional representation of Heidegger's ontology with the parts he missed added Very Happy

It doesn't seem to be everybody's cup of tea, but I hope I can win some people round when I explain it more clearly. Always accepting feedback :flowers:
BrightNoon

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:03 pm
@Hermes,
Looking foreward to it Hermes, Perseverance!
0 Replies