What's the difference

Joe

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:06 am
http://i38.tinypic.com/148eqfs.jpg

I made this picture and posted it up around my town. It brings up the idea of what is the difference of a crime that is committed privately and a crime that is public?

I think that if you look at the ideas of why we police crimes within our community, then it is hypocritical to commit those same crimes on an international scale. An example would be that if your neighbor burnt down your house, the rational and logical reaction within our society would be to call the authorities and handle it without a violent confrontation. So why is it acceptable for an entire (civilized) society to react violently against someone who has wronged them.

It represents the idea that we are above our own morals and laws that we stand for.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 816 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:18 am
@Joe,
The power of the state rests in that it maintains a monopoly on violence.

Many people have a convoluted opinion on what monopoly is, but most generally understand that monopoly is dangerous in that it does not require legitimacy.
Joe

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:32 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:

Many people have a convoluted opinion on what monopoly is, but most generally understand that monopoly is dangerous in that it does not require legitimacy.

Hey Mr. FTP
Absolutely true, and so it is the starting point that we take the idea of localized governing and some how apply this. But for the most part it is important that we take the idea of democracy and exercise it locally. Once people learn that it starts like this it will expand to the power of the state and therefor it has no other option then to change.

Personally i feel that protest against big government is small potatoes compared to the civil activists that try to start at the roots. Living by example is actually a more powerful revolution then society will recognize.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:56 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
Hey Mr. FTP
Absolutely true, and so it is the starting point that we take the idea of localized governing and some how apply this. But for the most part it is important that we take the idea of democracy and exercise it locally. Once people learn that it starts like this it will expand to the power of the state and therefor it has no other option then to change.

Personally i feel that protest against big government is small potatoes compared to the civil activists that try to start at the roots. Living by example is actually a more powerful revolution then society will recognize.

Bootstrapping ftmfw.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:59 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;28632 wrote:

I guess it comes down to the fact that violence, taken as an isolated concept, is different than the contextual justification of its use; like defensive warfare.
0 Replies