natures demands..

xris

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:49 am
Have i made a myself a burden of nature.I feed my local birds but lately it has become overwhelming.I am now supporting six sparrow colonies and three black bird families.My wife counted 29 blackbirds mostly fledglings queuing up to bath in our bird bath.A cup of rice boiled,two bird feeders with seed a day, one peanut every two days.I have also my conscience to deal with, should i be sending that money to African charities...oh my its a hard life..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,284 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:56 am
@xris,
The thing with birds is if you feed them on a regular basis they become dependent on it.

I know when i did it i started to get regular visits and even demands if i hadn't put food out! Feeders are easier and useful and appreciated especially in the winter times.
xris

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:33 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;65251 wrote:
The thing with birds is if you feed them on a regular basis they become dependent on it.

I know when i did it i started to get regular visits and even demands if i hadn't put food out! Feeders are easier and useful and appreciated especially in the winter times.
I dont know if im doing the right thing, just because it makes me feel good, is it right? I wont stop but when we go what happens to those poor birds who rely on us ?
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:36 pm
@xris,
They die or survive based on the environmental conditions that alter (or do not alter) in your absence.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:50 pm
@xris,
xris;65254 wrote:
I dont know if im doing the right thing, just because it makes me feel good, is it right? I wont stop but when we go what happens to those poor birds who rely on us ?

They starve because they rely on you as a regular source of food so they stop looking for food which makes it more difficult to find food when you stop, (by the way, you going somewhere xris?Smile), so whether they can find food when your gone, (not for a long time yet i hope!), i dont know but that's what the experts say. By regular i mean everyday that's why you got 'em queing up, (they're smart things really), i would feed them but not everyday, i try to feed birds irregulary, like say i did 3 days in a row i would then take a break because as much as i love feeding birds you do have to ultimately think what's best for them.
xris

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:13 pm
@Caroline,
I dont usually feed them so much but its baby time.Nature has such an overwhelming power this time of the year, walking out you can feel its strength.Im not planning going anywhere but if my mistress calls, nature, who can refuse.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:50 pm
@xris,
You got a good few years left yet xris:) I would think the same applies during baby season too, because you would like to think they can manage without you. They need to have the skills to be able to defend for themselves. Depending on where you're feeding them, such as, if it's populated, (by people), you'll be surprised how many other people feed them too. I, by all means feed them but I wouldnt do it day after day consistently as they're not given enough of a chance to develop hunting/foraging skills and other essential skills, dont forget the babies rely on and learn foraging skills from their mother. I love feeding the birds, you should try a gaggle of geese and swans together, you get mobbed, great fun! Birds really appreciate it in winter especially on the coldest days. I love this time of year, the wild life is frantic, it's great. There is so much to see.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:11 pm
@xris,
I bet you are making the local housecats happy
xris

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 03:24 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;65281 wrote:
I bet you are making the local housecats happy
No ive shot them all:)
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:12 pm
@xris,
The only good cat is a .....
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:57 pm
@GoshisDead,
It is not man's place to feed the birds. It is man's place to appreciate the creature and refrain from hindering the bird's ability to feed itself.

But this is a pickle you've created. Seems as though they have become dependent. Perhaps try to ween them off? Or maybe wait until next season and not feed them. I don't know, my friend, it's a tough spot. It would be a shame if they suffered needlessly.
xris

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 04:40 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;65448 wrote:
It is not man's place to feed the birds. It is man's place to appreciate the creature and refrain from hindering the bird's ability to feed itself.

But this is a pickle you've created. Seems as though they have become dependent. Perhaps try to ween them off? Or maybe wait until next season and not feed them. I don't know, my friend, it's a tough spot. It would be a shame if they suffered needlessly.
We have hindered their ability to feed themselves, im just trying to help them out.Sparrows are on the decline but i have done my bit to help them recover.I enjoy it really.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 01:49 pm
@xris,
I did not realize that sparrows were declining in numbers. That's a damn shame. And that also changes matters.

Our flying friends, when faced with hardship, should be able to find help from us. Good work.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:28 pm
@xris,
Im pleased to say that i've seen a few sparrows down the river, it's great people are putting feeders up, more people should do it, I was getting concerned. (I noticed the lack of them awhile ago, I didn't know, xris, they were in decline, oh dear!)
xris

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:39 pm
@Caroline,
They repay me more than double with their song,they lift your soul.
Elmud

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:48 pm
@xris,
xris;65347 wrote:
No ive shot them all:)
First the rats and now the cats. Are there any four legged creatures safe from you sir?
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 11:03 pm
@xris,
xris;65250 wrote:
Have i made a myself a burden of nature.I feed my local birds but lately it has become overwhelming.I am now supporting six sparrow colonies and three black bird families.My wife counted 29 blackbirds mostly fledglings queuing up to bath in our bird bath.A cup of rice boiled,two bird feeders with seed a day, one peanut every two days.I have also my conscience to deal with, should i be sending that money to African charities...oh my its a hard life..

Hi,

No problem. Many, many parents have the same problem with their children. Either they figure out how to fend for themselves and pay for their own upkeep, or out they go.

If they refuse to leave, then just sneak out in the middle of the night and find a new home far far away. That is exactly what my girlfriend's parents did when their children refused to leave home. It works.

Next problem?

Rich
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 04:37 am
@xris,
xris;65594 wrote:
They repay me more than double with their song,they lift your soul.

Perhaps you are more intune with nature than you think. Do a little browsing and read about the "Guf". I would like to know your comments.

William
xris

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:27 am
@William,
William;69845 wrote:
Perhaps you are more intune with nature than you think. Do a little browsing and read about the "Guf". I would like to know your comments.

William
Thanks Bill,i like the thought of sparrows welcoming the new souls,must have plenty arriving in my garden.
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:41 am
@xris,
Xris,
I was hoping you might delve a little deeper into the mysticism that resulted in that "interpretation" as it relates our understanding of our aligning with nature and the warning signs that result from the misalignment. Thanks,
William