believe what you read.

xris

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:42 am
With regard to a certain thread it made me ask myself how much of what we read do we accept as facts and how much can we reject.I got annoyed that i was requested to believe certain events the poster was suggesting.Was it just this subject? do i accept other books or articles without question? Ive tried obtaining an objective view of Alien dream abduction but the subject is strewn with conflicting opinions.Maybe i expect too much , i wonder if others find objective reading hard to find.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 672 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:08 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
With regard to a certain thread it made me ask myself how much of what we read do we accept as facts and how much can we reject.I got annoyed that i was requested to believe certain events the poster was suggesting.Was it just this subject? do i accept other books or articles without question? Ive tried obtaining an objective view of Alien dream abduction but the subject is strewn with conflicting opinions.Maybe i expect too much , i wonder if others find objective reading hard to find.

Yea, I do. I think for the most part, I've become hopelessly skeptical. "Because its in print means its legitimate"-has never held true for me; which I suppose is your problem. It's virtually-impossible to read everything on any particular subject, but that's almost what one would have to do to get a good well-rounded perspective.

I do find that as I learn more about "X", that I feel as if I gradually become more able to sift-out the horse-hockey; and there's a lot out there. Many of my favorite non-fictions, I have to admit, contain slanted statistics, unfounded statements and the like.

So I guess I'd say: Yes, I do and anyone else who seeks the truth probably has this same problem; one we're not likely to completely solve. The best we can do is be skeptical, weigh and compare conflicting reports against that which you DO believe to be true and the rest is likely up to ones' gut.

Heh... not very scientific but I hope it helps. Thanks
xris

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:45 am
@Khethil,
Thanks Khethil...im glad im not the only one, my trouble is i find myself looking for something that agrees with me.
Khethil

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:35 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Thanks Khethil...im glad im not the only one, my trouble is i find myself looking for something that agrees with me.

Haha, yea me too!

... this probably explains why I talk to myself so much :sarcastic:

Thanks
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:50 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

In regard to reading other peoples thoughts and opinions about things, isn't evrything subjective?
xris

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:22 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
In regard to reading other peoples thoughts and opinions about things, isn't evrything subjective?
Im not talking about musing or opinions its facts and how they are protrayed without the individual influencing them.Academics in certain fields will never be open minded its part of their regime ,while believers find it hard to use logic so you never see the possibilities of certain subjects without these influences.Its only on forums such as this that both are questioned and scrutinised.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:10 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:

I read a college textbook many years ago. The History of European civilization. I wonder how accurate that book is? I suppose there are flaws in anything.
Theaetetus

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:45 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I read a college textbook many years ago. The History of European civilization. I wonder how accurate that book is? I suppose there are flaws in anything.

History is one of those subjects that is easy to skew by leaving out parts that are inconvenient to the people that compiled the history. In the United States you could study the history of genocide, but never have two of the worst genocides ever mentioned. The largest genocide in history is what happened to the Native American Indian, and the other one was started by a "hero" of the U.S. Christopher Columbus. The only reason why African Americans were originally brought to the new world is because Columbus and his fellow colonizers killed nearly all of the Native people of the Caribbean and central and South America with overwork and starvation.

History is generally written by the "winners" in history, and they leave out anything inconvenient. Japan recently tried to leave out an inconvenient Chinese massacre when they rewrote their history books a couple years ago.
Elmud

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
History is one of those subjects that is easy to skew by leaving out parts that are inconvenient to the people that compiled the history. In the United States you could study the history of genocide, but never have two of the worst genocides ever mentioned. The largest genocide in history is what happened to the Native American Indian, and the other one was started by a "hero" of the U.S. Christopher Columbus. The only reason why African Americans were originally brought to the new world is because Columbus and his fellow colonizers killed nearly all of the Native people of the Caribbean and central and South America with overwork and starvation.

History is generally written by the "winners" in history, and they leave out anything inconvenient. Japan recently tried to leave out an inconvenient Chinese massacre when they rewrote their history books a couple years ago.

Reminds me of the trail of tears. I wish there was an accurate book on the subject. I'd buy that one.
Khethil

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:25 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
Reminds me of the trail of tears. I wish there was an accurate book on the subject. I'd buy that one.

I read a great one on this a while back: "Mountain Windsong" by Robert J. Conley. It's set up with individual accounts of the upheaval with alternating chapters on the politicall/governmental accounts. Good reading.
0 Replies