Om in the Universe?

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 05:29 pm
I read a book a while back by K. C. Cole entitled Mind Over Matter. Ms Cole is or was a science writer for the L.A. Times & the book is a synthesis of her articles over many years. In one article she describes how astronomers discovered the sound of the universe, which resembles the mantra "om". This sound existed shortly after the big bang & therefore preceded galaxies, stars, planets & us, This was caused by light moving in & out of gravity wells, & the harmonics are detecable today through analyzing different areas of light & heat in the universe. Also, indeed, by giving rise to all matter including beings like us, The humorous implication is that it may be that meditating on the "om" sound may be beneficial for us after all, & uniting us with our primoridial origins. But I've been pondering this for some time & am thus far unable to verify on internet search, so present this to the forum: could the Hindus or Buddhists or whoever it is that hums this mantra actually be "remembering" our most basic molecular history & thereby connecting with all of creation? Is this based on real empirical evidence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,646 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 08:45 pm
@Brian phil,
Of course it's based on empirical evidence; thousands of years of spiritual practice has proved the use of Om to be useful.

I don't know about the science, but I'm not at all surprised at the science. Buddhism offers western science a great deal; we have much to learn from that tradition, and other mystic traditions.
0 Replies

Brian phil

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 06:40 pm
@Brian phil,
Thank you Didymos Thomas. You're right about the practice of om. What I was really driving at is if you or anyone knows of any studies or experiments supporting this article & thesis. If not okay, the spiritual element & peace of mind advantages of meditation, generally. have been proven multiple times.
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:52 pm
@Brian phil,
Frankly, and I'm no scientist, I don't see how a basic rhythm could not be fundemental in the universe. Consider that 'Om...Om...Om...Om' is the simplest (and therefore, likely, most primitive) rhythm/organization that we would recognize; anything less rhythmic would appear to be random noise and incoherent.
nameless

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:34 am
@Brian phil,
Quote:
Om in the Universe?

Om on the range!

"Om is where the 'eart is!" -Book of Fudd (3:16)
0 Replies

Brian phil

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 06:11 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Frankly, and I'm no scientist, I don't see how a basic rhythm could not be fundemental in the universe. Consider that 'Om...Om...Om...Om' is the simplest (and therefore, likely, most primitive) rhythm/organization that we would recognize; anything less rhythmic would appear to be random noise and incoherent.

A good angle on this. Om (or Aum) is pretty simple & monosyllabic. Even we humans say things like 'ah", uh" or "um" in daily conversation. Primitive humans grunted, which probably sounded similar. So why not the primitive cosmos. Maybe continuing, in some gravity well, somewhere.
Pangloss

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 06:28 pm
@Brian phil,
Sounds plausible. Perhaps at the (supposedly) higher states of meditation, these people can actually hear some type of cosmic "sound" or rhythm.

From the Bhaghavad-Gita:

Quote:

Uttering the monosyllable Aum, the eternal world of Brahman, One who departs leaving the body, he attains the superior goal.

This reminds me of the old song by the Moodly Blues, "OM":

Quote:

To name the chord is important to some.
So they give it a word,
And the word is..."OM"

OM. OM. HEA-EAVEN.
0 Replies