Who Wants to Live Forever?

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:06 pm
iwan2no wrote:
But, instead of intervening at a time when the body has already slowed its production of HGH, what if the switch that slows or stops the body's natural production could be programmed to produce

If you think of it as a switch, I believe that you're thinking of it the wrong way. Aging appears to be caused by a group of causes of slow cumulative damage notably (a)the effect of free radicals, and (b)cross-linking.
0 Replies

iwan2no

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:31 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you think of it as a switch, I believe that you're thinking of it the wrong way. Aging appears to be caused by a group of causes of slow cumulative damage notably (a)the effect of free radicals, and (b)cross-linking.

Are you saying that the body stops or slows its production of HGH because of (a) & (b) above instead of it being a natural process?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
iwan2no wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Are you saying that the body stops or slows its production of HGH because of (a) & (b) above instead of it being a natural process?

I am saying that the root cause of aging is a number of mechanisms causing degradation of the body such as (a) and (b) above, and that decreased hormone production is somewhat further down the same chain of cause of effect.
0 Replies

iwan2no

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:03 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I am saying that the root cause of aging is a number of mechanisms causing degradation of the body such as (a) and (b) above, and that decreased hormone production is somewhat further down the same chain of cause of effect.

So, in effect, the body is at risk from both external and internal influences and, unless all these factors can be overcome, the body will succumb, i.e., to everything there is a season.

It's a fascinating subject which, I am sure, will continue to be debated/discussed beyond our lifetimes.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:26 pm
What do you really want to live longer or be forever young up to a point. What about if you lived like a 28 year old until about 70 then over light you turn like a shrunken apple doll head and thenlive like that for some remaining time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
What do you really want to live longer or be forever young up to a point. What about if you lived like a 28 year old until about 70 then over light you turn like a shrunken apple doll head and thenlive like that for some remaining time.

That would be nice. But it would be even nicer to go through the stages we do now, except stretched out to a 500 year period.
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
I don't want to live forever. I just want to remain functional and half-way sane as long as I am here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:12 pm
Hmmm, half-way sane. That sounds fun. What do YOU smoke?
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:45 am
I'm a respiratory therapist. I don't smoke. I do not condone smoking. Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
O.K., then, what do you eat (in the way of brownies)?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:04 pm
Interesting topic as well as a plethora of info.

My grandmother turned 100 this June. Her mind is sharp as a tack but her body has slowed down.
Here's the kicker, she smoked and drank HEAVILY (bath-tub booze) until she was 71, and worked until she was 80. She has alway's been over weight and still is. Her diet has mainly consisted of heavy french gravy with lots of red meats and pork and let's not forget french pastry.

Nice try science.

I think I'll go have some cheese covered french fries, excuse me :-)
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:10 pm
Congratulations to you and Grandma on the great genes!
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:12 pm
Well, whaddayaknow. My label has been changed.
WooHoo.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 10:55 pm
Why thank you jesusg,

Speaking of Jesus, I think he's the one that has the final say as opposed to what science might think or what ever it is we do to our bodies, good or bad.
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:02 pm
That's true, but science is nothing to be scoffed at either.

I'm as devout a student of science as I am a child of God. I don't believe one can be appropriately separated from the other.

Treasure your Grandma. Record her stories. Their priceless. Smile
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:04 pm
Theres no rule sayin if you drink and work and eat fatty foods you will die younger. It just increases the chances. But sure those are some nice genes.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 05:38 am
Gram has buried 2 husbands and 2 children. This is part of the equation when you live a long time.

How many loved one's could a person tolerate burying in one life time if one were to live even 200 years?

I also wonder if personality has any say, such as fortitude, perseverance, strong will. Gram has all of those traits.
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:15 am
There is no doubt in my mind that personality and attitude are key variables in the longevity equation.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:45 am
BBB
I am 75 years old and am acutely aware of my mortality. I do not want to live beyond the time that I can take care of my self and have some enjoyable reason for living for myself or for what I can provide to others.

I want the ability to end my life without suffering and doing violence to my body when I think it is time to go. The first for my own comfort, the second for the comfort of those I love.

I believe our earthly life is the only life we have and do not believe in an afterlife. I've made the most of my earthly life that I could and want no interference from government or anyone else in deciding when and how I want to return to the earth.

BBB
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:48 am
That sounds good to me.
0 Replies