Why atheism doesn't make any sense

Afallucco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 01:40 pm
@Joe,
Joe;28617 wrote:
hey Afallucco
thats a good quote. My own reasoning for why people need to discuss a topic that seems it can never be simply and throughly described, is that people look for there meaning it different ways i.e. religion, and the only logical conclussion ive come to is, to each his own. Other then that, i dont believe any debate is useless if an individual can take some own meaning and change his ideas. The change is what really should be looked forward to. With constant change, it helps people gain knowledge of themselves and that also seems like a good reason to talk about such matters.

I never discouraged debate, those were rhetorical questions. I definately agree with you about people using God as a way to give their lives meaning, I've actually written a blog or two about it. People will believe what they are most comfortable believeing, so yes, I agree again, to each his own.
boagie

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 01:56 pm
@Afallucco,
Most insightful!!Smile

The Anatomy of Belief The World According to Xenocrates

Beyond Belief: Candles in the Dark is the third in an annual series of conversations: an ongoing project to foster and promote the use of reason in formulating social policy. This year, we asked participants to propose a Candle -- a potential solution to a problem that they have identified in their area of expertise or informed passion.

In The Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan wrote:
Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

At The Science Network, we embrace scientific meliorism (last year's meeting, after all, was entitled Enlightenment 2.0). We support science in its search for solutions. Can we better understand the neural underpinnings of human nature, our decision-making processes, the dynamics of trust and fear and human flourishing?

This U.S. election year, when science and reason in the nation's deliberations have been repeatedly challenged as irrelevant or elitist, and science seems to be estranged from society, Sagan's words sound prophetic -- an alarm call. Beyond Belief: Candles in the Dark is our response
0 Replies

filosofired

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 04:55 am
@Stormalv,
[/Something can't come out of nothing...]

the statement above is what atheists base their argument on, if something or someone or anything cannot come out of nowhere, where did this inteligen being come from. if this inteligent being created everything what or who created them?

just for the record im not an atheist, im just being fair

"the purpose of education is to fill an empty mind with a open one" -unknown
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:12 am
@Stormalv,
Quote:

[/Something can't come out of nothing...]

the statement above is what atheists base their argument on, if something or someone or anything cannot come out of nowhere, where did this inteligen being come from. if this inteligent being created everything what or who created them?

just for the record im not an atheist, im just being fair

"the purpose of education is to fill an empty mind with a open one" -unknown

An open minded one. Fair enough, but I would never say that the universe came from nothing. In fact I really don't think there are a whole lot of physicists whom actually say the universe came from nothing.

I like to believe that the universe is efficient and recycles. This is just a theory however but if you have ever taken a chemistry class you would know that most elements are reverting back to more stable elements. Just seeing how the universe works from my perspective I see it constantly building and renewing. But that only explains our current state. Why do I say the universe did NOT come from NOTHING?

Because matter is made up of mostly "nothing" but within that nothing is massive amounts of energy. You can actually compact matter into even smaller amounts of space but that increases it's energy. Build up the pressure enough and matter will revert back to pre-electron/proton/neutron state. This is currently being tested but it is theorized that after the big bang, the universe was not filled with the molecules that we currently experience today. It was too hot for hydrogen to form and that tells me that while the universe was compacted into a very small point it was fluctuating with high amounts of energy, perhaps so high that it actually held itself together. Why it exploded, I can't really say, perhaps there is a point when the energy reaches a certain threshold and the whole process repeats.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:36 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;28089 wrote:
William;28071 wrote:

Are you really suggesting that disbelief is a function of ego, that Atheists don't believe in God because they won't/can't tolerate the idea that there might be someone/something better than they are?

Even if that is true, and that is the cause of the atheist's disbelief, what has that to do with the atheist's reasons for his atheism. Suppose we discovered that every atheist had a disbelief gene which caused him to tend to disbelieve in God. The theist would still have to consider the atheist's arguments, wouldn't he? That the atheist has a disbelief gene doesn't mean he isn't right, anyway, and that he doesn't have good reasons for his disbelief.

There is a difference between cause and reason.
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:39 am
@Stormalv,
Stormalv;28053 wrote:
Okay, let's first make sure we use the same definition here. By atheists, I mean people who believe that God doesn't exist. By God, I mean a conscious, intelligent creator of our universe.

The reasoning is really simple. It boils down to this, consciousness can't suddenly come out of a universe that is dead. Intelligent can't suddenly appear out of a universe that is stupid. Something can't come out of nothing. It doesn't make any sense that consciousness, your Self, the experiencer, can come simply out of electronic passages in the brain.

Don't agree with me? Just think about it, it's purely illogical. It's even more illogical than believing the earth is flat. Just -think- about it. It's totally impossible for me to understand how people have actually thought this thing through and settles on that explanation. To believe that your awareness is merely electrical impulses, that it ceases to exist as soon as your brain stops functioning. As if you yourself is just some illusion.

However, if you look at it the opposite way, that matter and universal laws and energy patterns were created by a mind, the only constant thing that exists, what we really are, there are no philosophical paradoxes left. At least for me. If someone still disagree, I might as well give up, I can't explain it any better than this. I just don't get how people can believe that God doesn't exist.

Some people have never heard of your 'God' :O
I think your arguement is one big opinion. You don't know that conciousness can't suddenly come out of nowhere.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:43 am
@Stormalv,
My big question about theism and atheism has to do with god as benevolet or malevolent. If god isnt omnibenevolent then he has malevolence which to me would make him the devil and not god. If would prefer to have a weak and loving god then a strong and hateful one.

People always say god is omnipotent, omnicent, and omnipresent. But he can not be all of thoes things and omnibenevolent due to the logical conlridiction that ensues. If god is omnipotent he cant be omnibenevolent buecause then we would have no suffering. I believe in atheistic thought this is called the questiopn of evil.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:03 pm
@Stormalv,
Quote:
If would prefer to have a weak and loving god then a strong and hateful one.

Yeah I agree. The problem is the loving god notion. Wouldn't there be no suffering under such a god? I mean if I had my way I wouldn't have created a being under the conditions which would lead to it suffering. Does that limit it? Perhaps but it would never have to know suffering.

In Mahayana they talk about realms of existence where even certain concepts do not exist, such as war. After pondering this I really couldn't see how you could never come to such a concept. You would have to be either so enthralled with leisure and fulfillment that to even think of wanting more just wouldn't ever arise in your mind. It is by the lack of that which leads to struggle among ourselves and ultimately fighting. But do such realms really exist or are they just a way to get you to behave so we can attempt to have it in this life? I feel the later idea is a much more realistic one but a condition that will probably never happen because all it takes is one individual to bring the whole structure down.
josh0335

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:30 am
@Krumple,
Any thoughts on Aquinas proofs? I read the below somewhere, but I can't remember where so I don't have a link.

Quote:
Aristotle worked out that there were three Laws of Logic the formal explanation is as follows:

1. A=A: The Law of Identity. A table is a table because it just is so.

2. Not (A and not A): The Law of Non-Contradiction, if I am being boring, then it is not the case that this talk is not boring

3. A or not A: The Law of the Excluded Middle, if you have two contradictory properties i.e. green and not green, all things are either one of the two, green or not green, and certainly not both.

Any argument that contradicts the above needs to be discarded.

A great example of how you can use logic to reason correctly is in maths. For example, we all know that if 2 x X = 20, X must be 10; if you tried to argue it any other way, you would conflict with the Laws of Logic. However, any which way you turn around the equation, with a logical argument, will always lead to a truthful answer, as the premise is correct.

This is very powerful because we can establish truthful propositions in logic that can only be refuted should their premise or the deductions from them fall foul of one of Aristotle's a-priori laws of logic. Not only are the truths of mathematics rooted on the a-priori, so are the truths of the human sciences. For example; the Austrian polymath Ludwig Von Mises shows in his masterful book Human Action (1949) how all the laws of economics can be deduced from the axiom that humans act purposefully. As Mises shows, in order to be, we act purposefully. Not being, we would not act, indeed we would not exist. We act upon satisfying our most urgent needs first, then our second most urgent needs, and so on a so forth. Ranking preferences, with the most urgent needs/demands being satisfied first, the least urgent, the furthest away in time. From this hierarchy we derive the law of demand, the downward sloping demand curve, the law of diminishing marginal utility (see here for a good illustration) and on and on it goes. Lord Lionel Robbins in the masterful 1932 book, The Nature and Significance of Economic Science shows in very clear terms how all the laws of Economics are derived from the a-priori thought process. No data of experience is needed to establish that a demand curve is always downward sloping. This has real meaning in life and imparts upon how man acts in society. Experience cannot refute these laws although many modern economists will produce sets of statistical data that seem to contradict some of the Laws of Economics, but in reality, they have just got whatever they are trying to correlate wrong. A-priori knowledge contains real truths that are not just meaningless tautologies.

To try to refute it, you cannot, as you act purposefully to do so. Just as Pythagoras's Theorem is implied in the concept of a right angle triangle-and we knew about the concept of the right angle triangle before Pythagoras "discovered" his Theorem, so, to do the laws of economics flow from the one irrefutable axiom that humans act purposefully. It is a bit like saying Darwin "discovered" the Theory of Evolution, when what he actually did was articulate it and find very plausible data sets to help explain it to the sceptical mind. Evolution was always there.

For all positivist science, it seems to rely on the very negative contention that the existing state of understanding is correct only because nothing has refuted it. This does not mean that what the laws that science rest on may well be truthful, full stop and unqualified. If Euclidian geometry is tautological, as a positivist would argue, it can tell us nothing useful about the world we experience. For example, in engineering, the laws of Euclidian Geometry applied to construction. The fact that you would not want to knowingly walk on a bridge not constructed within the confines of the laws of Euclidian geometry, as it would fall down, implies that these laws have a great benefit to our understanding of the world and are not mere tautological propositions that can deliver up no knowledge capable of being acted upon. Likewise, the Laws that govern how this paper has been written on a computer, or transmitted via the internet to someone-else will not be capable of disproving and are therefore un-scientific, they are right otherwise this would never be written and transmitted.

My contention is that God exists a-priori and that Dawkins in his dismissal of the cosmological argument of Aquinas in particular, shows his lack of understanding of that argument and the distinction between a-priori and a-posteriori knowledge.

Dawkins summarizes (page 77) three of the "five proofs" of Aquinas as "all involve an infinite regress - the answer to a question raises a prior question, and so on ad infinitum." In his own words, he proceeds to list the three as follows;

1. The Unmoved Mover. Nothing moves without a prior mover. This leads to a regress, from which the only escape is God. Something had to make the first move, and that something we call God.
2. The Uncaused Cause. Nothing is caused by itself. Every effect has a prior cause, and again we are pushed back into regress. This has to be terminated by a first cause, which we call God.
3. The Cosmological Argument. There must have been a time when no physical thing existed. But, since physical things exist now, there must have been something non-physical to bring them into existence, and that something we call God.

He continues: "All three of these arguments rely upon the idea of a regress and invoke God to terminate it. They make the entirely unwarranted assumption that God himself is immune to the regress. Even if we allow the dubious luxury of arbitrarily conjuring up a terminator to an infinite regress and giving it a name, simply because we need one, there is absolutely no reason to endow that terminator with any of the properties normally ascribed to God."

So to Dawkins, it is an "unwarranted assumption that God himself is immune to the regress." He does not say why. Why, Richard, is it unwarranted? If it is so self-evident (and needs no further explanation to his readers) that this is unwarranted, why is it not stated? I suspect it is because Dawkins does not know.

In the physical universe no physical property is infinite. If this was the case, only it would exist. It does not, as you and certainly I exists along with countless other physical things. So how did we come into existence?

The Unmoved Mover of Aristotle (introduced to us specifically in his Metaphysics Book VI, X1, XII and in Physics, Book VII and VIII) comes into play here. The human mind cannot conceive of anything physical without postulating another physical cause for that thing. Cause and effect are a category of the human mind: absent it, and you have no human mind. All material things have cause and effect; one physical thing bounds another physical thing with nothing being infinite. If nothing is infinite, there simply must be a first cause. Therefore logic clearly dictates that the first cause, if it cannot be physical or material, must be immaterial. We call this God.

Unless you are prepared to boot out Logic as a valid system for ascertaining truth, then you cannot escape the undeniable existence of God.

Perhaps Anthony Flew, whom Dawkins questioned in his book, realised this line of logic when he converted to a belief in a Deity.

An article Dawkins sites in The God Delusion says the following (from Free Inquiry magazine, Volume 25, Number 2):

Flew's Flawed Science

by Victor J. Stenger

"Fortunately, we can avoid an infinite regress. We can just stop at the world. There is no reason why the physical universe cannot be it's own first cause. As we know from both everyday experience and sophisticated scientific observations, complex systems develop from simpler systems all the time in nature - with not even low intelligence required. A mist of water vapor can freeze into a snowflake. Winds can carve out great cathedrals in rock. Brontosaurs can evolve from bacteria.

And our relatively complex universe could have arisen out of the entity that is the simplest and most mindless of all - the void."

I cannot see how Stenger avoids an infinite regress. The void then becomes the causeless cause, the prime mover or indeed God. Out of the causeless void comes the universe. I cannot throw out the category of my mind that only allows me to understand, or see the world in terms of cause and effect. Like Aristotle, I cannot throw out or suspend logic on this point. I may have reasoned illogically but am certainly unaware of the error. I may have misread Aristotle, but again, cannot see why.

In The Ancestor's Tale by Dawkins (page 467-468), he says, "Heredity began as a lucky initiation of an autocatalytic, or otherwise self-regenerating, process. It immediately took off and spread like a fire, eventually leading to natural selection - and all that was to follow."

So for Dawkins, the initial replicator that kicks it all off is self-causing. I postulate, like Aristotle, that this line of reasoning does not conform to the laws of logic and must therefore be discarded. God (immaterial and unmovable) is the initial cause. What its purpose is is indeed another argument. Applying the method of the physical sciences will not answer the question "is God a delusion?" Only logic will answer that and it is purely a cognitive process of logical deduction.
0 Replies

Teena phil

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 06:03 am
@Stormalv,
Stormalv;28053 wrote:
Okay, let's first make sure we use the same definition here. By atheists, I mean people who believe that God doesn't exist. By God, I mean a conscious, intelligent creator of our universe.

The reasoning is really simple. It boils down to this, consciousness can't suddenly come out of a universe that is dead. Intelligent can't suddenly appear out of a universe that is stupid. Something can't come out of nothing. It doesn't make any sense that consciousness, your Self, the experiencer, can come simply out of electronic passages in the brain.

Don't agree with me? Just think about it, it's purely illogical. It's even more illogical than believing the earth is flat. Just -think- about it. It's totally impossible for me to understand how people have actually thought this thing through and settles on that explanation. To believe that your awareness is merely electrical impulses, that it ceases to exist as soon as your brain stops functioning. As if you yourself is just some illusion.

However, if you look at it the opposite way, that matter and universal laws and energy patterns were created by a mind, the only constant thing that exists, what we really are, there are no philosophical paradoxes left. At least for me. If someone still disagree, I might as well give up, I can't explain it any better than this. I just don't get how people can believe that God doesn't exist.

Since physical occurences affect our consciousness and awareness during life, what would make us think that it would be different when it comes to physical death?
0 Replies

Kontrover-c

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@Stormalv,
In this kind of debate I would say it is a difference of opinion, beliefs and understanding.

A real factor of how we understand something like a supreme being and no supreme being is the definition of what we understand based on what is fact and what is theory.

If you say that fact is the proof of what exists and what doesnt well then of course the existence of a supreme being is not true.

If you say that facts based on historic archives is the proof of what exists and what doesnt then yes a supreme does exist but there's no proof supporting it. This is when faith comes in which is another argument.

The point I am making is that if you believe that facts are proof of what exists and not facts based on historic archives then that is your opinion but atheism has no choice to accept the theory of a supreme being because that's what atheists beleive: what they beleive is proved and what is not proved is researched until a conclusion is made. If that conclusion denies something, atheists mainly accept to acknowledge that something is not proved and is only a theory. As for the religious beleivers, they must accept that proof is what we base life and education upon.

So in a way, both atheists and religious people have something to agree on while they discuss issues of god.

My opinion: Is conciousness simply electrical signals in the brain or is it god given (A soul). It is proved that electrical signals give conciousness to the brain and it is a theory that conciousness is god given, it's just not proved yet. So both arguments are legitimate. To prove that it is god given is when we die, unfortunatley there is no way to prove it in life.

Why this is discussed: I mentioned that there is no way to prove it so why discuss it? Maybe to convince the other argumentor with reason and logic: Religious people would say that proof would be through miracles, complexe life impossible by random mutation, natural selection and god appearences. Atheists would say that design by a supreme being is impossible, evolution has been proved etc.

Maybe it is discussed to better understand your own beleifs or to simply know what you beleive in.
Teena phil

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 08:54 pm
@Kontrover-c,
Kontrover-c;93199 wrote:
In this kind of debate I would say it is a difference of opinion, beliefs and understanding.

A real factor of how we understand something like a supreme being and no supreme being is the definition of what we understand based on what is fact and what is theory.

If you say that fact is the proof of what exists and what doesnt well then of course the existence of a supreme being is not true.

If you say that facts based on historic archives is the proof of what exists and what doesnt then yes a supreme does exist but there's no proof supporting it. This is when faith comes in which is another argument.

The point I am making is that if you believe that facts are proof of what exists and not facts based on historic archives then that is your opinion but atheism has no choice to accept the theory of a supreme being because that's what atheists beleive: what they beleive is proved and what is not proved is researched until a conclusion is made. If that conclusion denies something, atheists mainly accept to acknowledge that something is not proved and is only a theory. As for the religious beleivers, they must accept that proof is what we base life and education upon.

So in a way, both atheists and religious people have something to agree on while they discuss issues of god.

My opinion: Is conciousness simply electrical signals in the brain or is it god given (A soul). It is proved that electrical signals give conciousness to the brain and it is a theory that conciousness is god given, it's just not proved yet. So both arguments are legitimate. To prove that it is god given is when we die, unfortunatley there is no way to prove it in life.

Why this is discussed: I mentioned that there is no way to prove it so why discuss it? Maybe to convince the other argumentor with reason and logic: Religious people would say that proof would be through miracles, complexe life impossible by random mutation, natural selection and god appearences. Atheists would say that design by a supreme being is impossible, evolution has been proved etc.

Maybe it is discussed to better understand your own beleifs or to simply know what you beleive in.

If you are comparing the idea that conciousness is "god given" to a scientific theory, what exactly is it based on? On what bases is it called a theory? Absolutely anything then can be called a theory...just one "not yet proven" . If conciousness can be exaplained by a physical process, why is anything else necessary? If it is a matter of faith, it's fine but should be treated as such. Tossed into the same pot with scientific explanations it makes a rather awkward mix.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 03:34 am
@Kontrover-c,
Kontrover-c;93199 wrote:
My opinion: Is conciousness simply electrical signals in the brain or is it god given (A soul). It is proved that electrical signals give conciousness to the brain and it is a theory that conciousness is god given, it's just not proved yet.

But what you are saying here is a double theory. The first theory is that god exists, and the second theory is that god gives us consciousness. You can't just jump the gun and say well the theory is god giving consciousness. It doesn't work that way. First you have to prove that god exists, then you can come back and answer the theory does god give us consciousness. You can't prove the second without the first being proven first.
Kontrover-c

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 04:55 am
@Krumple,
Reply to krumple: Well I assumed that I didnt need to specify that god needs to be proven first but I can see your point, it is a kind of double theory which then makes my argument an awkward mix, like teena said.
Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 06:34 am
@Kontrover-c,
Kontrover-c;93263 wrote:
Reply to krumple: Well I assumed that I didnt need to specify that god needs to be proven first but I can see your point, it is a kind of double theory which then makes my argument an awkward mix, like teena said.

Right, because you could also theorize that a god created the universe without the intention for life to arise. A good example is placing some food into a refrigerator which gets neglected and mold begins to grow. Okay granted the mold is life, however; the intention of placing the food into the fridge was to prevent mold not create it.

I guess what I am saying is that it would be; god unintended humans to ever develop consciousness. A sort of passive creator rather than active planned design. This is to also say that I don't believe in such a case, it is just an example that would need to be addressed if we are to work with your theory.
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:06 am
@Stormalv,
I do not have time to read all the posts, I am going to address the orginal.
<Okay, let's first make sure we use the same definition here. By atheists, I mean people who believe that God doesn't exist. By God, I mean a conscious, intelligent creator of our universe. >
Can one believe in what they have not known or in what they have known? I remember it written of a wise man who said something on the order of "We testify to what we have seen, and speak of what we have known." I will never call words about that which one is ignorant of "belief".

<The reasoning is really simple. It boils down to this, consciousness can't suddenly come out of a universe that is dead. Intelligent can't suddenly appear out of a universe that is stupid. Something can't come out of nothing. It doesn't make any sense that consciousness, your Self, the experiencer, can come simply out of electronic passages in the brain. >
The fact of causality qua causality does not determine a particualar cause.

<Don't agree with me? Just think about it, it's purely illogical.>

The foundation of every logic is a convention of names--which means shared experience. It is gibberish to use words and names for which no convention has ever been established. .

A true agnostic states that if such a thing as a god exists, then it can be found and experienced like any thing else. Also, one only knows about this god commensurate with that experience.

The fact is, delusion and belief are not the same--one simply has a world full of delusional people who think that words determine reality and not reality demand a convention of names.
Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:01 am
@NoOne phil,
Stormalv;28053 wrote:
Okay, let's first make sure we use the same definition here. By atheists, I mean people who believe that God doesn't exist.

Your definition is incorrect. Atheists don't believe in god. It is a lack of belief not a belief in the lack of belief.

Stormalv;28053 wrote:

By God, I mean a conscious, intelligent creator of our universe.

By what basis are you making this definition? Are these traits just random elements that you want god to be?

NoOne;93281 wrote:

Can one believe in what they have not known or in what they have known?

In some ways yes. I have never met the farmers that grew the food I eat. I have never met the truck drivers that deliver the food that I eat. I have never met the people who maintain, stock or sell the food that I eat. SO in a sense I have never known these people to exist, never met them, but their existence is implied. How else does the food I eat make it to the market where I purchase it? By magic? So yes I can believe in something that which is not known to me. There are other cases as well, but to prevent boredom I'm not going to mention them this time.

Stormalv;28053 wrote:

Your reasoning is flawed. Consciousness didn't suddenly come out of the universe. Consciousness is a biological happening of chemical reactions in the brain. The whole entire process involves biological matter and electrical impulses created out of the chemical break down or biological materials. Consciousness requires all these things or else it doesn't arise at all.

The self is based off the sum total of our experiences which has as it's basis our memories. Your personality, fears, likes and dislikes are all subjected to this process of experience and cataloging into memory. Some bits of this information constructs who we are, what we desire, and what we become in life. Damage any one of these systems and you can change the entire person.

The universe didn't come from nothing. All the matter and energy was probably present in a singularity. Nothing was created. But the funny thing here is that you make the statement nothing can come out of nothing. Well if you are imposing that a god created the universe, wouldn't that still mean the universe came from nothing? God just snapped his fingers and the universe magically appeared? What did god use to make the universe if he didn't just magically make it appear?

Stormalv;28053 wrote:

Don't agree with me? Just think about it, it's purely illogical.

Nope, the only illogical thing here is your theory. You have neglected all the underline datum.

NoOne;93281 wrote:

A true agnostic states that if such a thing as a god exists, then it can be found and experienced like any thing else. Also, one only knows about this god commensurate with that experience.

Where is the experience?

NoOne;93281 wrote:

The fact is, delusion and belief are not the same--one simply has a world full of delusional people who think that words determine reality and not reality demand a convention of names.

Can you expand on what you mean here?
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:25 am
@Stormalv,
Krumple, you are quoting the original post as if it were my post, look at the orginal once again, and look at my additions, keep them separate. thank you. j.c.
Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:32 am
@NoOne phil,
NoOne;93297 wrote:
Krumple, you are quoting the original post as if it were my post, look at the orginal once again, and look at my additions, keep them separate. thank you. j.c.

Heh, I have fallen victim to what Caroline was complaining about. I didn't notice that you were taking quotes from the original post. Perhaps you might want to consider learning to quote? Now I'm starting to sound like her... well anyways, I apologize. I'll attempt to make corrections in my previous post.
0 Replies

Otavern

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 11:44 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;93286 wrote:

Your reasoning is flawed....Consciousness is a biological happening of chemical reactions in the brain. The whole entire process involves biological matter and electrical impulses created out of the chemical break down or biological materials. Consciousness requires all these things or else it doesn't arise at all.

CS Lewis had an interesting argument as to why consciousness cannot be simply chemical reactions in the brain. He looked at two reasons why someone might believe something to be true.

1. You are caused to believe something is true by certain chemical reactions happening at a specific time in your brain (i.e., physical cause)

2. You have "grounds for believing" something to be true because of the logical grounds you have for that belief.

If consciousness is simply chemical processes then your (2.) "grounds for believing" something to be true would always be the result of (1.) a physical reaction in your brain.

Clearly, though, that is not the case because the "grounds" for belief are quite independent of the physical processes occurring in your brain. The "ground" of your belief, and hence the "reason" you hold the belief is because of its truth value, not because of chemical processes. Hence there are two quite different "causes" for beliefs, not one.

It can't merely be the fact that someone is having the "right" chemical reaction that proves they are correct in having a belief. We don't use that as assurance of validity. We always point beyond internal cranial mechanics to the "truth" of the matter.

The grounds of a belief are sourced in logic and knowledge and not mere chemical causality. The very fact that we can distinguish between the two "reasons" for a belief means that there is something more than just chemical reaction causing our consciousness. Our consciousness has a ground in "truth" independent of what brain chemistry currently throws up at us.

I may be having spasmodic chemical reactions that bring various apparitions into my conscious field, but if I am "grounding" my beliefs in "truth," I will question and doubt what the mere physiological processes currently pass along. There must be some kind of dynamic interaction between the "physical" me and the "conscious" me. They could not just be the same thing because then I could never question what the reactions in my brain present to "me" because my thoughts could only occur as inevitable results of the current electro-chemical conditions.

To be capable of "critiquing" my thoughts it seems there must be some kind of access to a "transcendent reality" as a kind of "light" of truth or "ground" that I can apply to my physiologically proposed ideas to assess their "truth value."

This is a rather simple restatement of Lewis' argument. I will try to find his original.:detective: In the meantime, feel free to respond to this.