Calling Mr. Holiday

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:31 pm
Hey Holiday, I'm intrigued by your comment about 'communism on a macro scale, and libertarianism on a micro scale.' Can you please explain what you mean by this?

(sorry for the thread people, I wanted to get H.'s attention and am very very impatient)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 758 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 09:33 pm
@BrightNoon,
I really only came up with that in an attempt to reconcile communism with libertarianism, as I noticed you easily dismissed communism. It's kind of like reconciling independence with humility, and to have extremities at all as a political order is IMO not appropriate. The flip side is simply impractical.

The macro scale simple means on a national level, the micro scale means person to person interaction/decision making. Libertarianism is not going to have an effect on a macro scale that is practical so why not structure society to emphasize the micro effects.

But I have no idea when it comes to politics, be great to have a discussion on though, and now you've got me wanting to do some research and thinking with you.
BrightNoon

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 12:11 am
@Holiday20310401,
I think that is workable and not unattractive to me if you mean that the individual's relationship to government is based on a libertarian model, but that there would be many small politities which would have communistic relations with one another; i.e. they would share the burdens of whatever external activities they engaged in, such as defense, and shared the profits in that there would be sources of revenue from across the states: all with some kind of 'each according to his...' proportional system for the redistribution. However, this is basically a federated republic. Just another way of describing it. Anyway, I'm guessing thats not what you meant.
0 Replies