The Great Debate?

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
Inflation or deflation, what role do they play and how are they related to the current crisis? Why can no one agree on the meaning of these words? Rather than offering my own explanation, try this.

DollarDaze Economic Commentary Blog - Gold, Oil, Stocks, Investments, Currencies, and the Federal Reserve: The Fallacies of Deflation by Phill Tomlinson
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 785 • Replies: 1
No top replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 07:06 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;54044 wrote:
Inflation or deflation, what role do they play and how are they related to the current crisis? Why can no one agree on the meaning of these words? Rather than offering my own explanation, try this.

DollarDaze Economic Commentary Blog - Gold, Oil, Stocks, Investments, Currencies, and the Federal Reserve: The Fallacies of Deflation by Phill Tomlinson

Oh yeah. I totally love articles about deflation. That's why I call myself an elitist.

But the article is pretty good.
In school they told me that the great depression can't repeat itself because the banks are insured against running out of money.
What a lie.

A while ago I used to play Railroad Tycoon 3. The game is of course about building railroads and having trains transport goods between cities, but you also have competitor railroad companies and a stock market.
The point is that your company can issue stock to get fresh money. But you gotta look out to not do that too much or your stock prices will fall too much.
What that got me thinking about is that fiat money is a government stock.
The government prints it, and can print more if they want, but then the value goes down, so the country has to perform better economically to catch the stock price from falling.
But the government or course constantly wants to print as much of that money as they can get away with.

Edit: This constant inflation really does two things well: Allow the rich bankers to stay rich and reward irresponsible financial behavior.
0 Replies