Should I spend a year in Aus.

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 05:04 am
Out of first year college, switching schools but want to spend a year in Australia working first. Know anybody who did that? Did that yourselves?
Should I?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,782 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 05:28 am
There are some Australians here, Bugger 20 - if you have questions we might be able to help with, we will.

Can't help you with your immediate query, though - since I never came here to work for a year!

What would you want from such a year?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:06 am
Oh man,I would love to do that !!!
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:14 am
I want to get away for a while and work in another country. It doesn't even matter what kind of job, I just really want to get away and the first country that comes to mind is Australia. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though. I live in Canada, BTW.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 07:19 am
Hmmmm - well, check Margo's links thread for helpful urls - not sure how hard it is to get a working visa - prolly not that hard for a young person, I would assume.

Seems to me it is always good to travel, and spend time in another country. There are lots of back-packers and such travelling through constantly.

I felt pretty at home in Canada - so I would guess you would fit in well!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:25 am
I've got a few friends who've done it over the years, and more who have tried it. Australia is notoriously tough on getting any kind of working visa. I've had a couple of friends deported from Australia for working there illegally - one had no visa to work, the other worked past his allotted hour.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:57 am
Absa-friggin-lutely! A year spent abroad is not only an excellent break from all that studying and exams but it is a wonderful cultural and fun experience. When you start a permanent job you will find it difficult to completely let loose and go with the flow in terms of travel, taking off on a moments notice, absorbing new sights, sounds, meeting new people and learning new things. A permanent job brings your life into a schedule and you have to make time for fun things, which may be difficult depending on the responsibilities of the job. Go away for that year and spread your wings - there is nothing like it. There is plenty of time to settle down into a job, etc., etc., later. I hear Australia is a wonderful place to go. I myself took some time and travelled Europe and I look back on it now - 20 years later - and smile at the memories and pure joy it allowed me. It also helped me find responsibility in knowing that I could take care of myself and handle anything that crossed my path - good or bad. A great life experience.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 01:26 pm
I think it's relatively easy for young people to get working visas. I think the visa is for one year, and you have to be under 26 or 28 or so.

There's quite a network of people on working holidays, and they seem to find plenty of work - mostly not paid too well - but they have a ball. Adaptable people, especially with some computer and organisational skills shouldn't have a problem getting work. There are, of course, some restrictions.

May I suggest you click here:
Lonely Planet - Thorntree - Australia
There's always questions about working visas, what to expect and lots of other info from people who are doing just that.

From the broader point of view, it can only help your perspective to view things from the other side of the world. And this is a great country.

Go for it!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 01:29 pm
ya gotta try sheep-shearing even just for the stories you can tell years from now.
0 Replies

Shelle

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:08 am
Of course you should come to Australia. It's a beautiful country and the people are lovely. (Maybe only a little biased Laughing ) If your willing to turn your hand at anything you can work very easily. Fruit picking, farm hands etc.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:32 am
Glad to see you Shelle!
0 Replies

Shelle

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:42 am
Thank you. This is new to me... Never seen anything like it. Seems very friendly though. I feel very welcome. Thank you again.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 04:39 am
Your welcome. Always good to get more Aussies on the site.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:02 am
More aussies !!! YE!!
0 Replies