Thought experiments in Continuity of Self

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 09:57 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... such as ... ... ...

Well, some definitions do not even allow for the problem in the first place.

If self is something that is constant about us, this must be a delusion. If we go to Locke's definition, self requires memory. But even memories change. They fade, alter, and even disappear. Some memories we invent in our own minds. So this is not constant.

Examining self is all about context. Remember that old, wise suggestion: "Know Thyself"? That's great advice, but for what purpose? Every perspective is unique, and if we are going to try to examine that unique perspective with that unique perspective, well, it's easy to run around in circles. If we examine the self with respect to how "we" should act in this life, recognizing that a constant self is illusory might suggest that we should not act selfishly because there is nothing to act selfishly for; that selfishness is futile.

I say that we have to expand the suggestion 'know thyself' and approach the issue with respect to a particular purpose because, otherwise, I think the exercise is useless. If these questions of philosophy are all about arriving at some assertion that cannot be refuted so that we can stand on the top of some intellectual hill and laugh at all of those below us, then philosophy is useless. But if philosophy has use, if these questions can help us along in this life, then there must be more to these questions than right or wrong answers. There has to be an application to living.
xris

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 03:59 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Well, some definitions do not even allow for the problem in the first place.

If self is something that is constant about us, this must be a delusion. If we go to Locke's definition, self requires memory. But even memories change. They fade, alter, and even disappear. Some memories we invent in our own minds. So this is not constant.

Examining self is all about context. Remember that old, wise suggestion: "Know Thyself"? That's great advice, but for what purpose? Every perspective is unique, and if we are going to try to examine that unique perspective with that unique perspective, well, it's easy to run around in circles. If we examine the self with respect to how "we" should act in this life, recognizing that a constant self is illusory might suggest that we should not act selfishly because there is nothing to act selfishly for; that selfishness is futile.

I say that we have to expand the suggestion 'know thyself' and approach the issue with respect to a particular purpose because, otherwise, I think the exercise is useless. If these questions of philosophy are all about arriving at some assertion that cannot be refuted so that we can stand on the top of some intellectual hill and laugh at all of those below us, then philosophy is useless. But if philosophy has use, if these questions can help us along in this life, then there must be more to these questions than right or wrong answers. There has to be an application to living.
I agree to know yourself you have to know who you are but then others may know you even if you dont know yourself...it may not be the true you but who knows what the true me is...i dont really know me..If we could see ourselves as others see us..The life that is in me has had a long journey,did it serve a purpose for me or those who have encountered me or both.. that is the question..
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:41 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

... but maybe what is constant about "self" is the process of self? ... after all, you are not now materially what you were when you were born - molecules are gradually replaced over time ... so, if materiality is not constant, is embodiment also a delusion? ... or is it the process of embodiment that is the constant?

Didymos Thomas wrote:
But if philosophy has use, if these questions can help us along in this life, then there must be more to these questions than right or wrong answers. There has to be an application to living.

... speaking for myself, I devise models of the real world for a living ... so it is not just idle curiosity that leads me to such questions (but idle curiosity still does play a huge role Wink) ... questions like "what is the best model of the real world to support human decision makers?" or "what is the best model of the real world to support artificial intelligence?" or "what is the best model of the real world to support artificial life?" - until science can find its way through these (which doesn't seem likely any time soon), are these not philosophical questions?
paulhanke

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 07:03 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... but maybe what is constant about "self" is the process of self? ...

... enter Chapter 6: "Process and Persons" ...

Quote:
The self, or ego, has always been a stumbling block for Western philosophy because personhood resists accommodation within its favored framework of substance ontology.

From the angle of a process metaphysics, however, the situation has a very different look. For while we may have difficulties in apprehending experientially what we are, we clearly have no comparable difficulty in experiencing what we do. What makes my experience mine is not some peculiar qualitative character that it exhibits but simply its forming part of the overall ongoing macroprocess that defines, constitutes, and characterizes my life in those of its dimensions that are, in principle, cognitively accessible to myself and to others.

As process philosophy sees it, the unity of a person resides neither in the physical body as such nor in the psychic unity of custom and memory but in a synoptic unity of process. On a process-oriented approach, the self or ego - the particular individual that one is - is simply a megaprocess, a structured system of processes, a cohesive and (relatively) stable center of activity agency. For processists, our sense of self is a glimmering insight of part into the whole to which it sees itself as belonging. The crux of this approach is the shift in orientation from substance to process ...

Such an approach wholly rejects the thing-ontologist's view of a person as an entity existing separately from its actions, activities, and experiences. The salient advantage of such a processual view of the self as an internally complex process of "leading a life (of a certain sort)" - with its natural division into a varied manifold of constituent subprocesses - is that it does away with the need for a mysterious and experientially inaccessible unifying substantial object (on the lines of Kant's "transcendental ego") to constitute a self out of the variety of its experiences. The unity of self comes to be seen as a unity of process - of one large megaprocess that encompasses many smaller ones in its make-up. We arrive at a view of mind that dispenses with the Cartesian "ghost in the machine" ...
(Rescher in "Process Metaphysics")
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:02 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... but maybe what is constant about "self" is the process of self? ... after all, you are not now materially what you were when you were born - molecules are gradually replaced over time ... so, if materiality is not constant, is embodiment also a delusion? ... or is it the process of embodiment that is the constant?

But is that process, process of embodiment, unique to this manifestation? That sounds so sloppy. Is "self" an adequate description of the process of embodiment? If nothing about us is physically constant, that which is embodying (I guess) is in constant shift. There isn't anything in particular that is doing the embodying. Just parts of the environment. Right?

paulhanke wrote:
... speaking for myself, I devise models of the real world for a living ... so it is not just idle curiosity that leads me to such questions (but idle curiosity still does play a huge role Wink) ... questions like "what is the best model of the real world to support human decision makers?" or "what is the best model of the real world to support artificial intelligence?" or "what is the best model of the real world to support artificial life?" - until science can find its way through these (which doesn't seem likely any time soon), are these not philosophical questions?

There is a reason why I have enjoyed your contributions to this forum. Smile

But I wonder, why do we look to science as the final arbiter of truth in the various questions of philosophy? Doesn't this reduce philosophy to a field of study just outside of science, a study that could eventually dissipate into nothing?

Questions about AI have become popular recently, and the science is breathtaking. Important stuff. The first question, though, is quite different. AI questions are ultimately reducible to science, but is the first question also reducible to science? And if so, how meaningful is this simplification?
paulhanke

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:38 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But is that process, process of embodiment, unique to this manifestation?

... yes ... processes are individuated by the space/time they occupy ... a tornado on June 14th in Omaha is not the same tornado as occurred on August 30th in Wichita ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
That sounds so sloppy.

... not to a software engineer Wink ... processes are very substantial objects in a computer ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Is "self" an adequate description of the process of embodiment?

... I don't think so ... a tornado can be said to be embodied (although matter is transferred in and out at an alarming rate!), but I don't think it has any sense of "self" ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
If nothing about us is physically constant, that which is embodying (I guess) is in constant shift. There isn't anything in particular that is doing the embodying. Just parts of the environment. Right?

... that's one way of looking at it - that a process of embodiment is just the interactions of parts of the environment ... but such a perspective does little to illuminate the selectivity with which a process of embodiment flows through the world of matter, enlisting only those elements of the environment that help it to self-perpetuate and ignoring all the rest ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
But I wonder, why do we look to science as the final arbiter of truth in the various questions of philosophy?

... because the scientific method includes a "reality check" step whereas the philosophic method does not ...

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Doesn't this reduce philosophy to a field of study just outside of science, a study that could eventually dissipate into nothing?

... I think that assumes that there are only a fixed set of philosophical questions ... but science creates as many (more?) questions as it answers ... how's this for a mental image: philosophy is a sailboat that for a long time was pushed forward by a gentle breeze of rational deliberation ... then came the rough and jostling tidal wave of science, rocketing philosophy along at the forward edge with unprecedented speed ... should we take in the sails? - do we need to reconceive the hull? ...

EDIT: not the greatest of metaphors as it makes it seem that philosophy is totally at the whim of science - whereas I think that philosophy should be helping to steer a course for the tidal wave ... I'll have to work on a new metaphor Smile

Didymos Thomas wrote:
AI questions are ultimately reducible to science, but is the first question also reducible to science? And if so, how meaningful is this simplification?

... I have yet to be convinced that all things can be so reduced ... certainly, one can say that an elephant can be reduced to its physical constituents and that those physical constituents can be explained by mathematics and science ... but that is light years away from being able to say that the combinations and permutations - the processes - that are involved in composing those physical constituents into something (a "thing"? - a "macroprocess"?) that exhibits "elephantness" can be explained by mathematics and science (I don't think that kind of mathematics exists yet, if ever!) ... likewise, it's hard to assert that AI can be reduced to its physical constituents - as it is physically constituentless! Wink
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 02:07 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Questions about AI have become popular recently, and the science is breathtaking.

The thing about AI that gets me is that we will never truly know if the machine is actually conscious. We cant "see" consciousness so we would have to go by behavior. But how would we know if it isnt just mimicking conscious behavior than actually being conscious?
paulhanke

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 11:13 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
The thing about AI that gets me is that we will never truly know if the machine is actually conscious. We cant "see" consciousness so we would have to go by behavior. But how would we know if it isnt just mimicking conscious behavior than actually being conscious?

... that certainly is a trick for AI researchers looking to reproduce human intelligence - as the Turing Test and Big Blue teach us, some pretty "dumb" programs can (almost) pass themselves off as intelligent (the scare quotes there are due to the fact that the more we learn about intelligence the less intelligent it looks - if we ever do attain a complete understanding of human intelligence, there is great potential for it to be wholly underwhelming) ... on the other hand, there is a different class of AI researchers who are on a different track altogether - for them, intelligence here on terra firma is but one example of intelligence as it could be (which to me is an absolutely mind-blowing thing to consider!) ... and consciousness may not even be a factor here! ... idle curiosity aside, I follow both camps because the way I see it if I want to devise AI(s) that can complement/supplement human intelligence I need to understand both intelligence as we know it as well as intelligence as it could be ...
xris

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
@paulhanke,
If there is or could be a programme of individuality that humans have and do exhibit ide be bleeding amazed...trying to convince me that life as we know it can be replicated is like reading alice in wonderland..
paulhanke

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:25 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
If there is or could be a programme of individuality that humans have and do exhibit ide be bleeding amazed...trying to convince me that life as we know it can be replicated is like reading alice in wonderland..

... unfortunately, I'm no Lewis Carroll Wink
paulhanke

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:58 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
... unfortunately, I'm no Lewis Carroll Wink

... not quite Lewis Carroll, but closer than me:

Quote:
... what we create as life, for example, self-reproducing systems of peptides, proteins, or simple organic molecules, will be far simpler than current life. The self-reproducing molecular systems of proteins we have been able to create in experiments lack the familiar process of protein synthesis, via transcription of DNA to RNA and translation of RNA to proteins, the central dogma of molecular biology. In living cells, rather amazingly, among the proteins encoded by genes are those very proteins that carry out translation, including translation of themselves. So it takes DNA, RNA, and encoded proteins to carry out the very process of translating genes into proteins. In short, in contemporary cells, the molecular mechanisms by which cells reproduce form a complex self-referential system that clearly is highly evolved.

If we create much simpler life, this will show that life can have manifold physical realizations. We are back to the multiple-platforms argument: life is not reducible to any specific physics.
(Stuart Kauffmann, author of At Home in the Universe, Investigations, and Reinventing the Sacred)
0 Replies

jknilinux

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 01:33 am
@paulhanke,
my opinion-

Do you know of the "ship of theseus paradox"? The ship of theseus was intrumental in winning a key battle for athens. After the battle, the athenians brought it onto land and kept it as a memorial to the great battle fought that day. Every so often, as a wooden plank on the ship begins to rot, it is replaced by a new wooden plank untill all of the wooden planks are replaced. When, if ever, is the ship no longer the same?

Well, IMO, the ship stopped remaining "the ship that won the war" the instant it became that ship. Every instant, the ship is changed in so many ways (electrons change location, atoms fall off, etc...) that to call it the same thing is non-sensical. The same is true with us.

So, no- the duplicates are not me, but I am not me either, since there is no such thing as "I". Is this what you were getting at DT?

Neat question!
xris

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:26 am
@jknilinux,
jknilinux wrote:
my opinion-

Do you know of the "ship of theseus paradox"? The ship of theseus was intrumental in winning a key battle for athens. After the battle, the athenians brought it onto land and kept it as a memorial to the great battle fought that day. Every so often, as a wooden plank on the ship begins to rot, it is replaced by a new wooden plank untill all of the wooden planks are replaced. When, if ever, is the ship no longer the same?

Well, IMO, the ship stopped remaining "the ship that won the war" the instant it became that ship. Every instant, the ship is changed in so many ways (electrons change location, atoms fall off, etc...) that to call it the same thing is non-sensical. The same is true with us.

So, no- the duplicates are not me, but I am not me either, since there is no such thing as "I". Is this what you were getting at DT?

Neat question!
Sorry dont agree at anyone moment i am i but yesterday was another i and tomorrow it will be i but not the i of today..Journeys ...time..maketh the "I"..
0 Replies