Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 08:53 pm
I need help understanding what the best context is for the act of thinking.

Reflective reasoning? Can I be any more specific than that? Thinking implies awareness thus the distinction between processing and thinking. So thinking must be involving unconscious processes along with the conscious awareness, consciousness is not a process.

And what can we be aware of? Experience; external sensations, and internal recollections of memories via the process of reflection... which is an unconscious process.

Benjamin Libet did that famous experiment which suggested (or proved, I dunno) that the brain predetermined the outcome of the awared thought because there was preceding brain activity before the awareness.

Also, is a conscious thought evitable? I mean, given the same subconscious/unconscious (whatever) processing/brain activity and the same sensations/experience being inputted analogously, will there be a deterministic resultant thought to be aware of?

Wouldn't consciousness if it were truly real imply that thought would be evitable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 918 • Replies: 3
No top replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 09:44 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Benjamin Libet did that famous experiment which suggested (or proved, I dunno) that the brain predetermined the outcome of the awared thought because there was preceding brain activity before the awareness.

... does it? ... I can't say that I've read Libet's original papers, but Wegner spends several pages discussing Libet's and others' experiments in The Illusion of Conscious Will ... here's an interesting passage from an experiment where subjects were asked to press a button as soon as they felt a tap:

Quote:
Jenson (1979) asked people to try to deliberately to lengthen their reaction time little by little and found that they could not do so. Rather, their reaction times jumped from the usual minimum values (in this study, about 250 milliseconds) to much higher values, which at a minimum were 500 to 1000 milliseconds. One cannot slow down one's reaction until one becomes concious of the stimulus and of having reacted, and this takes lots of time. This suggests that a response and a conscious response are two very different things, the first one far speedier than the second.
... the interesting aspect here is that the experimental subjects were able to slow down their response times at all! ... that is, if it takes only 250ms to respond and 500ms to become conscious of the response, the response should already be done and over with before the subject has a chance to consciously slow the response! ... this leads to the following interpretation of these experiments:

Experiement I: Respond as fast as you can
1. The experimenters instruct the subjects that they need to respond as fast as they can to the stimulus
2. Having been told this, the subject's conscious will "primes" the unconscious for automatic execution of the response
3. When the stimulus is applied, the unconscious automatically responds and the conscious will is notified of the response

Experiment II: Consciously delay your response
1. The experimenters instruct the subjects that they need to consciously delay their response
2. Having been told this, the subject's conscious will cannot "prime" the unconscious for automatic execution of the response, else the response will be over before they can consciously delay it
3. When the stimulus is applied, it needs to be consciously perceived before the conscious will can initiate a response

This also leads to an alternative interpretation of Libet's original experiments in which the subjects were asked to spontaneously move a finger and simultaneously report the time at which they consciously willed the finger to move:

1. The experimenters instruct the subject on what to do
2. Having been told this, the subject's conscious will "primes" the unconscious for automatic finger movement at a spontaneous point in time in the future
3. At a spontaneous point in time in the future, the unconscious automatically initiates finger movement and then notifies the conscious will of said initiation

... so conscious will may play more of a leading role in these experiments than initially thought.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
Thinking implies awareness thus the distinction between processing and thinking. So thinking must be involving unconscious processes along with the conscious awareness, consciousness is not a process.

I cannot follow this argument. If there is a difference between processing (WHAT) and thinking (OF), I cannot understand why this would warrant the conclusion that thinking must involve unconscious processes or that consciousness is not a process.
xris

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 08:40 am
@jgweed,
I feel that we always have two levels of thought one that can say be reading and deciphering the information and the second responding to the information that is revealed..A smell and its effect on our emotions..touch and the effect..when you touch your unshaven face the feel and the response are like two thoughts at the same time..We try to cut out certain thoughts when we are concentrating but they intrude..I feel one is the real me and the other is information being relayed to me by the reptilian brain..We are schizophrenic in so many ways. I hope i have not interrupted unnecessarily..
0 Replies