Biological Stress

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:49 pm
Well this may be little more of a self help thing but I believe there are philosophical applications to the following...

Recently I've been losing a lot of weight... Laughing ... and all my family have been commenting about it so naturally I have become concerned. I know that I eat very little anymore and I get very little sleep. And what my dad's been telling me is that I might have stress from school and work and such.

First off I want to point out that I don't care about school so I wonder if that can truly relieve the possible tension school has. Also, is biological stress precipitated physically or moreso phsycologically? Which matters more besides the obviousness that they are both important factors.

For example, physically there is the functioning of long term stress and short term stress... but what causes whichever path to be the selected/appropriate path for, I suppose the word would be homeostasis.

Plz, I don't want to be recommended wikipedia and google, I've reasonably read through that stuff. Thanks for any comments.

Oh and in terms of relating health with stress, is it true that phsycological implications on stress can ultimately be associated with death-- if anyone knows offhand?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:06 am
@Holiday20310401,
Biological and psychological stress HAVE been associated with death, but you're getting ahead of yourself.

There is a "differential diagnosis" (i.e. algorhithm of possibilities) to explain unintentional weight loss. If you're losing a lot of weight unintentionally, it can have to do with psychological factors or changes in your diet and activity that you aren't necessarily doing intentionally. But there are also illnesses that can do it.

Part of the key for you is 1) figure out what's different, and 2) figure out if you feel anything different in your body or your brain since the weight loss began.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:11 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Well this may be little more of a self help thing but I believe there are philosophical applications to the following...

Recently I've been losing a lot of weight... Laughing ... and all my family have been commenting about it so naturally I have become concerned. I know that I eat very little anymore and I get very little sleep. And what my dad's been telling me is that I might have stress from school and work and such.

First off I want to point out that I don't care about school so I wonder if that can truly relieve the possible tension school has. Also, is biological stress precipitated physically or moreso phsycologically? Which matters more besides the obviousness that they are both important factors.

For example, physically there is the functioning of long term stress and short term stress... but what causes whichever path to be the selected/appropriate path for, I suppose the word would be homeostasis.

Plz, I don't want to be recommended wikipedia and google, I've reasonably read through that stuff. Thanks for any comments.

Oh and in terms of relating health with stress, is it true that phsycological implications on stress can ultimately be associated with death-- if anyone knows offhand?

While going through a very traumatic time in my life, I lost quite a bit of weight. I guess I didn't feel like eating. I remember also, many years ago, when i lost my son, I lost about twenty pounds in about a months time. I don't know what stress does to other people, but for me, i lose weight too.
Khethil

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 03:39 pm
@Elmud,
From what I understand psychological stress, over the long term, can lead to weight loss. It sounds like the 'answer' is in the whatever's causing you to eat and sleep less.

I don't know your age, but there are definitely life stages (wherein ones' metabolism can shift wildly) that may present themselves outwardly in this way.

It might be a prudent move to go see a doc (yea, I know - probably not what you wanted to hear). But you never know: Sudden weight loss can be a sign of a number of very-disagreeable conditions.
bioharmony

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:44 pm
@Khethil,
Prolonged stress (in its various forms (psychological/metal/emotional and physical) hav a direct impact on the immune system. If the immune systems remains in a 'fighting' situation due to ongoing emotional stress it can result in conditions ranging from arthritis to susceptibility to infectious diseases - the list is long. Once homeostasis is lost in the body many things can 'go wrong'.

However, in the case of sudden weight lost a health professional should be consulted immediatly.
bioharmony

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:25 am
@bioharmony,
Dear Holiday..

Below is some basic information in simple terms about the relationship between the Central Nervous System (brain and spinal cord), the immune system and the endocrine system.

Stress is a major factor in disrupting the normal flow of hormones throughout the body:

Another important factor is the relationship between the brain and the immune system. "The brain and the immune system continuously signal each other, often along the same (neurological) pathways, which may explain how state of mind influences health."

The heart and brain are part of the body's communication network and maintain a continuous two-way dialogue, with each other. Therefore, it is important at this point to digress from the heart and the brain for a minute and discuss the immune system because of its strong links with the brain.

The central nervous system (the brain and the spinal cord), the immune system (which includes immune cells generated in the bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen and thymus) and the endocrine system (any tissue capable of secreting hormones) are connected by an intricate network of nerves and fibres, which allows them to signal each other continuously and rapidly in a parallel fashion. It is important to note that "the brain is perhaps the most prolific endocrine organ in the body" in that it produces hormones that act on the brain itself and on tissues throughout the body. Collectively we shall call the central nervous system, the immune system and the endocrine system the CIE systems

If this communication network is disrupted in any way, whether through physical injury, drugs, toxic substances, surgery or mental stress it leads to greater susceptibility to inflammatory diseases, infectious diseases, associated mood disorders and, frequently, to increased immune complications. The brain and the heart in turn affect the ability of each to function effectively.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

I do not know your age or history. However, given that you seek professional advice and no organic conditions are find etc you may wnat to consider looking at biofeedback. Simple biofeedback involving breathing (if undertaken correctly) can produce some amzing results with respect to managing stress. I do not believe this is the forum to discuss such matters and do not want to break any rules. If you wish to discuss further you may want to contact me via private email.

Breathing at a certain rate bring your sympathetic NS in balance with your parasympathetic NS. This helps regain homestasis when stressed

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Holiday20310401 wrote:

I belive there are philosophical implications because specific exercises to manage stress can also be used (obvioulsy, in addition to many others) to develop consciousness.

HRV (Heart Rate Variabilty) is important physiologically. It also helps when one starst to activley develop consciousness.
0 Replies