Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:20 pm
I will be blunt because I only want to hear your opinion and why on this one.

Do you believe that war implies doing whatever it takes to win, and so should not be limited to rules like no chemical warfare, or should, even in war a mass murder blood bath, be subjected to rules advocating for how wrong crimes against humanity are, or rather super crimes against humanity since war is itself.

I believe that war should have no boundaries except for the common goal to attack and defend with as few casualties as possible, and as little pain on enemy combatants as possible. And I suppose war should not subject the public directly. Only the army.

And I stand by how in a war when the leaders have their separate agendas, they should be the ones to duke it out on television on an island or something and you should be allowed to get tickets to see it like a gladiator fight:a-ok: and watch it but not be in direct conflict. Major wars have been tainted to make the public want to go to war but it would never be in the public's actual interests.

Actually, if you were to kidnap anybody in the world and question under assumption they would answer any question truthfully, who was evoking war, inhumanity, and chaos who would it be. Not saying you would, I wouldn't, definitely couldn't, but this is about the 'should'. :disappointed:

Edit: If I sound like I'm advocating war I am completely against it, I'm a pacifist, and that is rather the way I'd rather the world dealt problems.:cool:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 937 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:37 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Limit to war? How about no war.

I get what you're saying, though, Holiday. War is one of those nasty realities we cannot avoid - or at least have never been able to avoid. Part of this nasty reality is that war does not have boundaries. Total war is the only sort of war.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:42 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
I believe that war should have no boundaries except for the common goal to attack and defend with as few casualties as possible, and as little pain on enemy combatants as possible. And I suppose war should not subject the public directly.
Well, that's about all the boundaries that exist today. Requiring combatants to wear uniforms protects civilians. Banning chemical weapons protects civilians and minimizes pain to the combatants.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:48 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Well, that's about all the boundaries that exist today. Requiring combatants to wear uniforms protects civilians. Banning chemical weapons protects civilians and minimizes pain to the combatants.

Apparently there's a lot more to it. Laws of war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 08:52 pm
@Holiday20310401,
These Laws of War are all well and fine, but are they actually obeyed? And when we find nations obeying some particular Law of War, what is the motivation? It seems to me that the motivation is entirely self-interested, and have little, if anything, to do with an attempt to wage a virtuous war.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:01 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I know eh. Whats the point when war contradicts rules. We want to do whatever we can to survive in a war and to take control of the opponent. The only rule seems to be don't use nukes.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 09:13 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Even that isn't much of a rule. Nukes have been seriously considered many times since the end of World War II.
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Law and war are inherently contradictory. Though international laws might be observed, for pragmatic reasons, such as ensuring the humane treatment of your own captured solidiers, there cannot be any binding law. For a law to be effective, it has either to be enforced outright or agreed upon; war is caused by disagreement.

Also, holiday said:

I believe that war should have no boundaries except for the common goal to attack and defend with as few casualties as possible, and as little pain on enemy combatants as possible. And I suppose war should not subject the public directly. Only the army.

I understand the desire to reduce suffering, but if, in doing so, some advantage is lost (refusing to target militia in cities for fear of killing civilians, etc) and the war is lost, all the war's suffering is in vain. Consider as an example the american civil war and the brutalitie neccessary to end it: likewise with the second world war and the atmoic bombs. Oddly enough, war crimes (as you put it) are at times in the best interest of not only the victors but the vanquished.
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
@BrightNoon,
I think I can agree with you on this but since when are laws binding? I mean, for 'pragmatic' reasons we follow these sort of international laws to war. But if they are broken there is the risk that the consequences will be tried if the war is lost. If a country decides to use chemical warfare but loses the war then there could be more severe consequences because of the act against the law. So thats just as binding as a normal law. We have consequences that make laws here binding.
0 Replies

MITech

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:28 am
@Holiday20310401,
War should only be fought to stop genocide. If there was a war where somebody was fighting for a resource, then the only way that the war would end is when the resource is depleted. Ofcourse there would be so much anger that the war would probably not even be over. If you were fighting over land the only way to end that would be to completly assimilate the population that had been taken over. Is assimilation a good thing? Who deserves to have those resourses? This is why war should only be an acted upon when the is genocide.
SummyF

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:46 am
@MITech,
Until there is not an anarchic system in the world (international relations)

there will be war

the best progress is the eu and the continental unions because neighbors in certain areas are not in war
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:37 pm
@SummyF,
How is a world full of government anarchic?
SummyF

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:46 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
My positions is backed by Alexander went, and is the fundamental principle of any school of political philosophy(in terms of the nation state

in international relations, what is law? there is none

if a country decides to go to war with anther, it has the ability to because no law says it cannot, and no real authority will stop that country

think of nations as kids on a playground without any supervision. One boy picks up a toy of anthor, and the other screams,"give it back". He doesnt not so the boy beats the kid to death. No one was there to stop him.

this is the current situation, but these rules will change as nations become more interdependent (neo-liberal)
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:11 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Do you believe that war implies doing whatever it takes to win, and so should not be limited to rules like no chemical warfare, or should, even in war a mass murder blood bath, be subjected to rules advocating for how wrong crimes against humanity are, or rather super crimes against humanity since war is itself.

Yea, I believe that by and large generally involves a 'whatever it takes to win' mindset. The few exercised self-imposed limits (on just how horrific it becomes) are needed, necessary and productive. From what I've observed, those conflicts that dont' escalate as far as they could, only do so because of perceived repercussions of such escalation (e.g., Russia didn't soften up the resistence in Georgia, prior to ground invasion, because it felt a moral obligation to not commit mass-murder, but more likely because the repercussions could be counter-productive). Just my opinion, but you get the idea...

Non-compliance to a law or treaty isn't reason to not have them. It's a reason to improve and/or enforce 'em.

Should they be limited? - Yes, when and where it can be done. Any amount of lives saved, pain minimized, is a good thing.

Holiday20310401 wrote:

Interesting opinion, except that saying "no boundries except"... "<all the boundries listed>" is a bit ambiguous. But I think I get your jist. What's very significant about limiting civilian casualties is the strategic aspect of warfare (see this excerpt on Strategic Bombing - an integral part of waging war). When one force attempts to destroy the infrastructure and war-making capability of its enemy, it is part-and-parcel targeting those civilians located at those facilities.

It's messy, it's unethical and a constant-and-sad epitath to the human race. Any limits that one can put on themselves (for whatever reason) or can be imposed, are good limits. Any number of lives saved, suffering decreased, is preferable.

-----
0 Replies

John W Kelly

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 10:11 pm
@MITech,
MITech wrote:
War should only be fought to stop genocide.
What about the American civil war and it's ending of slavery?
Khethil

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:27 am
@John W Kelly,
John W. Kelly wrote:
What about the American civil war and it's ending of slavery?

Good point. So the implied question is: Would war-making be justified in ending slavery? Are the lives of > half a million people and the collateral pain and misery caused by war-making worth the pain, death and dehumanization of an entire race?

Questions like this are important; they force one into thinking through no-win scenarios (i.e., You want Death or Death? Which will it be?). In retrospect, things happened as they did based on a trillion variables (99.999% of which I've no knowledge of since I wasn't there). Can lives be tallied up numerically to choose the lessor of two evils? Wow, what a no-win...

... so yea, I'm avoiding the question. I think, for my view personally, that avoidance comes from a mind that says, "There should have been another way! Confront me with that same question, in today's world framework, and that's how I'd reply, "there's got to be another option!". Both alternatives - slaughter from war and slavery's pain - are unacceptable. If you put a gun to my head and asked, I suppose I'd have to say "Yes, that's worth fighting against".

Very thought-provoking question, thank you.
0 Replies