Joe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:51 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Eliminate advertising. The only reason why most people quest in the seas of consumerism is because commercials tell them what they need to be happy. It works on a subconscious level. Edward Bernays knew what he was doing when he mixed psychoanalysis and marketing to form the whole industry of public relations. He was feeding on the fears and insecurities of individuals--the bedrock of the mass consumer culture.

Absolutely. Perhaps he also new the perpetuating cycle that would occur. A person who believes he must have this and that in order to achieve happiness is likely to work more and produce more service or product to obtain funds for his satisfaction. In the past 50 years we have produced more products to sell because of this. Of course technology has made this possible. But indeed i think consumerism as stated by many government officials does establish growth. But at what cost? Greed is the emotional response to obtaining that happiness. We covet and justify it more often then not.

hmmm. I'm starting to see the the fundamental flaw about consumerism. Greed of happiness that can be justified because it only feeds into more greed of power and industry, with justifications pertaining to survival.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:26 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:

I think consumerism is only as bad and good as the structure it adheres to. That structure seems to be heading to heavy government regulation and influence. Although i think the case is actually reversed. Money is control. The large corporations no doubt have influence on not only the direction of the economy but government as well. So as of lately, I think our economy is in a tug of war between the people who administer the game of consumerism and the growing amount of people who fear those corporate administrators.

My problem lies with economic success being such a highly regarded attribute of a society's 'success'. National politics is so totally occupied with providing financial stability that in my view it does not satisfy more social needs, such as victim support or poverty-escapism - if there is a financial glut in any situation then some will inevitably fall into a 'poverty' category (perhaps relevant to depressions vis a vis jealousy - poverty of life).

If people were more focused on satisfaction with regards to social aptitude and 'happiness' success as opposed to occupation/consumption success then the society might find that the severity of impoverished situations is lessened - an example of brilliant music made by people in a social "funk" or religious/sporting excellence practiced in slums being causative of what some might call "social mobility".
Khethil

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:33 am
@Doobah47,
Good sentiments here.

Just as an off-topic thing I'm really proud of: We just did our tax return for 2008 and I'm very proud to say that my quest towards a simpler life has taken me from a six-figure report down to just $6 over the U.S. Poverty Limit for 2008. Thank you, thank you <takes a bow>

I've got more time, am less stressed, my blood pressure's way down and I've much more time to spend with the ones I love. Adjusting out of the glut-glut-glut lifestyle many of us have been socialized to has been a bit interesting, but it's well worth it.

Sorry for the divert here, but I'm kinda proud and had to say it Smile

THanks
0 Replies