Philosophy of the face

Clepa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:34 pm
Dear forum members, I'm in need of advice.
I'm looking for any philosophical (or even near-philosophical)sources on the topic stated above and would be grateful for any piece of information from you.
I have found only a couple of books on psychology, which deal with face perception, by now, but I'm interested in more theoretical approach. I've heard that Levinas and Deleuze wrote on the issue, but I haven't been able to find out in which books.
I'm interested in the books on face perception, the role of face in communication, characteristics of facial expressions, theoretical views on physiognomy and any other aspect of the topic.
Thank you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 703 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boagie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:26 pm
@Clepa,
Clepa wrote:
Dear forum members, I'm in need of advice.
I'm looking for any philosophical (or even near-philosophical)sources on the topic stated above and would be grateful for any piece of information from you.
I have found only a couple of books on psychology, which deal with face perception, by now, but I'm interested in more theoretical approach. I've heard that Levinas and Deleuze wrote on the issue, but I haven't been able to find out in which books.
I'm interested in the books on face perception, the role of face in communication, characteristics of facial expressions, theoretical views on physiognomy and any other aspect of the topic.
Thank you in advance.

Clepa,

:)This is a little response to the wonder of why we responed so positively to beautiful people, is there a function being served in said attractiveness?

Smile" I hope you do not mind a brief interjection, it is relative I believe but far from a well developed theory. When one looks at the face, just as when one looks at the body one is looking for a certain orderly arrangement, order in the form of porportion relative to the rest of the face, limbs in proportion to the stature of the body. I find in looking at peoples faces, say the nose, if you look at the characteristics of the rest of the face, the nose seems as it should be.

SmileI think when looking at something we are likely to find beautiful, ugly or somewhere inbetween, we are appreciating order, harmony, rythm and composition---------order as in the correlated structure of a totality is what determines the beautiful. If what there is presented in any given face is correlated to the overall features of the face, I doubt we would then find that individual ugly. It would have a certain rythm. Order when not present or disrupted, is largely what we mean by the term ugly. The spontanious innate evaluation that we do, is the order in the object speaking to the order of your own being." With order there is being, without order, there is chaos. That which in its growth is not correlated, is then as a fininshed product, a monstrosity.

http://philosophy-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif The foundation of beauty, the properties of what contitutes beauty are pretty much the same across the board, beauty is order in all its forms. The qualities of a given example of beauty may not include all these forms of order, and that would be the measure of beauty by degree, where one example of a type is said to be more beautiful than the other.

http://philosophy-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif The statement about the order/beauty of an object speaking or appealing to the order of which we are, is I think logical. How could it really be otherwise, we only know, we only value, out of what we ourselves are.

http://philosophy-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif This theory that familiarity constitutes beauty does not hold water, though just as there is no such thing as large or small accept through comparison, so to with beauty, beauty is only of comparison. This may involve objects of the same nature or you as object. The very biologically complex organism that you are finds pleasure and comfort in the order which is object in your outside world, of which, your separation is only the illusion

:)The order/orders and systems in veryous arrangements contitute different beings, different entities. "We are cousins to the trees, made of the same stuff, arranged into a different order." Carl Sagan The veryous entities that you speak of, are but different arrangements of order, to understand something is to understand its order and thus, understand its function, often the function is simply its being. There are unlimited entities, but they all owe their being to the arrangement of their order/orders. Do you see what I mean, these entities are the product of the function of the orders, systems and arrangements which constitute the nature of their identity as objects. I have no wish to debate the familiarity concept, other than to state it is perhaps saying the same thing, there is only beauty by comparison."

:)What is the function of beauty, as in a beautiful face, I think it expresses health, a vitality of life, the sight of which we find pleaseing because it is vital. I hope the above is helpful, at least perhaps stimulating further dialogue. You see it is a kind of patch work from a couple of different posting of mine on a related topic to the one you are addressing.

We all await, the second comeing of the bosses son!! Wink boagie
Clepa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:13 pm
@boagie,
boagie
I appreciate your answer, but as you must have noticed the question doesn't concern only the aesthetic qualities of the face. However, your answer is pretty helpful.
boagie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 03:09 pm
@Clepa,
Clepa wrote:
boagie
I appreciate your answer, but as you must have noticed the question doesn't concern only the aesthetic qualities of the face. However, your answer is pretty helpful.

Clepa,Smile

:)There is a science that has been developed relatively recently that includes something called, Microexpressions. That is microexpressions of the face, used mostly I believe in law enforcement to determine when someone is lying. Interesting topic Clepa, thanks for postinng it.
0 Replies

Wizzy

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:36 pm
@Clepa,
Boagie

any theory on how to read if somebody is lying or not (includes lie-detectors) is verry hollow and can't be used by alot of law systems as proof since it's corruptible and shouldn't be trusted. For one as I understand it you can cheat a lie-detector by answering different questions then you are asked, example:

Lie-detector-person: Have you ever cheated on your wife?
Person-beeing-questioned: [thinks] Have I eaten hamburgers today? [Says] No

And because he has answerd a different question, even if only in his mind, he can cheat the polygraph as I belive they are called. Also people in America that have been found guilty primarily by the use of a lie-detectors have later been proven innocent.

Just had to come down on all systems of telling a lie, hope it's ok Wink

As for your question Clepa

I didn't really understand what your question was? Was it how our faces expresses what we feel, think and want? Cause that's something that's different from person to person I guess, but what do I know?

For what we think is beutifull I agree with Boagie, there should be harmony and rythm in the face and whole body, as you know, a big nose on a otherwise lean face isn't that attractive is it?

But facial impressions are important to communicate I belive, you can send a message by just a look or show attraction by a different look, also this differ between cultures, so it's probably a good idea not to give of to big expressions to other cultures if you aren't familiar with that particular culture Wink
0 Replies