What does it mean to "think for yourself"?

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,397 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:19 am
@Billy phil,
Billy wrote:

Ok, I'll bite,

To me, it means mainly that one works through discovery or understanding with their own faculties, rather than relying on "just cuz"-type assertions. On a more advanced level, it'd necessarily have to entail the thinker acknowledging and compensating - to the extent they're able - ones' own biases, preconceptions and other filters at work.

Understanding the 'why' or 'how', without someone to spoon-feed it to you involves some effort... involves some "thinking for yourself"

How'd I do? Did I pass?

:bigsmile:
Billy phil

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:57 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;25150 wrote:
Ok, I'll bite,

To me, it means mainly that one works through discovery or understanding with their own faculties, rather than relying on "just cuz"-type assertions. On a more advanced level, it'd necessarily have to entail the thinker acknowledging and compensating - to the extent they're able - ones' own biases, preconceptions and other filters at work.

Understanding the 'why' or 'how', without someone to spoon-feed it to you involves some effort... involves some "thinking for yourself"

How'd I do? Did I pass?

:bigsmile:

Thanks for responding. It was a sincere question, though, not a test.

Good thinking.

Here's a follow up question: When you went through the thinking process to answer that question, were you thinking for yourself? Or for me?

You say "ones' own biases, preconceptions and other filters at work." That's important. You might even acknowledge that in the moment of answering, you are answering from a position or perspective, a philosophical position=positing.

Billy
jgweed

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:29 am
@Billy phil,
It may be when one asks: "what does it mean to think for oneself" that one is actually seeking an answer to "what does it mean to think?"
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:36 am
@Billy phil,
Billy wrote:

Considering few have no other conception of any other type of thinking, if I might ask, what is it about your thinking that prompted such a question. Do you think there is another "type" of thinking? I have a really good reason for asking this question.

William
Theaetetus

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:43 am
@William,
Usually when you hear "think for yourself" it has to do with questioning authority, if fact the two concepts are directly related. Many people take the words of so-called experts as fact, and do not ask themselves whether or not they agree--they just do. "Think for yourself" means don't buy other peoples bullsh!t at face value.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:59 am
@Billy phil,
Hey Billy,

Billy wrote:
Here's a follow up question: When you went through the thinking process to answer that question, were you thinking for yourself? Or for me?

Oh gosh, I come from the only process I can: My own. My conscious perspective was from my experience and knowledge, so thinking for you or for me may not apply. But if I had to answer, I'd say for me.

Billy wrote:
You say "ones' own biases, preconceptions and other filters at work." That's important. You might even acknowledge that in the moment of answering, you are answering from a position or perspective, a philosophical position=positing.

Agree completely - 'tis a cage I cannot escape.
Billy phil

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:50 am
@Khethil,
Theaetetus;25170 wrote:
Usually when you hear "think for yourself" it has to do with questioning authority, if fact the two concepts are directly related. Many people take the words of so-called experts as fact, and do not ask themselves whether or not they agree--they just do. "Think for yourself" means don't buy other peoples bullsh!t at face value.

Khethil;25150 wrote:

Great! You're both taking it from the angle of: Don't swallow another's thoughts without offering some challenge. That's important!

jgweed;25163 wrote:
It may be when one asks: "what does it mean to think for oneself" that one is actually seeking an answer to "what does it mean to think?"

William[/QUOTE]
Khethil;25181 wrote:
Oh gosh, I come from the only process I can: My own. My conscious perspective was from my experience and knowledge, so thinking for you or for me may not apply. But if I had to answer, I'd say for me.

Great! You're both saying: Thoughts which come from me I've thought for myself.

I'm not sure where I was when I asked the question, but what comes up now is: If I were hiring you as a philosopher to do some hard thinking FOR ME, could you do it?

In that case, thinking for yourself would be unethical, like doing your homework during those hours when you've agreed to work for your employer.

William;25165 wrote:
Considering few have no other conception of any other type of thinking, if I might ask, what is it about your thinking that prompted such a question. Do you think there is another "type" of thinking? I have a really good reason for asking this question.

I'm a little lost here myself, but hopefully I've given you some sort of response above.

I cannot wait to hear you're really good reason for asking that.

Billy
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:27 pm
@William,
William wrote:

William

Your comment;
" I'm a little lost here myself, but hopefully I've given you some sort of response above.
I cannot wait to hear you're really good reason for asking that.
Billy"

IMO, in the broadest sense "thinking for one's self" is a necessary, ego dirven paradigm that enables us to survive in this reality we have created.
"Each man for himself" so to spleak. We are forced to learn that we are not meant to learn in order to wend our way in this ever so confusing maze.

IMO, thinking uniquely or "outside the box" is extremely rare in that I feel most thought is "programmed thought" governed by the mores of an affluent society driven by status, power and greed. Knowing this is what prompted me to ask what I did. Most have no inkling that another way to think even exists. In my experience I have learned the mind is a quite remarkable thing in that the more you leave it alone, the better it works for you. What I mean is in today's society we work it to death as we have often exclaim in desperation, "I just have too much on my mind." In other words, the mind works better when you don't consciously try to use it. I know that sounds goofy, but it is the only way I know how to explain it. It works very well by itself.

I believe with all my being we are not meant to "think for ourselves". That's what we have been doing for the past thousands of years and look where it's got us. I think there is entirely too much "I" thinking out there, when there should be more "we" thinking, as it relates to individual's, families, citie's, state's, nation's and the world. If we can calm down the ego and allow our thinking to consider the "we" which involves letting one's defense's down, then we will realize what it means to communicate. Until then as we "think for ourselves" we say a lot, but unfortunately, no one is listening, for we do not the "other's" best interest at heart. We are too busy defending ourselves. Their ego will not allow it. We have yet to see what this will bring, this type of "we" talk. I personally think it is "God talk" and there is no telling where it will lead. Like being on a bus to an unknown destination, and absolutely thrilled you are aboard. Smile

My nickel's worth, I hope, as I always do, that I made sense. I sounded great to me. Ha.

William
0 Replies

Diana Grace

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:49 pm
@Billy phil,
I don't always think for myself. Quite a lot these days I talk to myself. And I answer myself. If that labels me a nut case, then I am not concerned because it works for me. Sometimes I don't know the answer to things that affect me, so I ask my higher self to help me figure out things. It is like mental telepathy. Sometimes that higher self talks to me first if I so incline myself to be willing to listen. Then other times I don't incline myself to listen inwardly, and I go on thinking for myself and wind up getting into a mess that did not have to happen.

This higher self is the observer. When you ask yourself pertinent questions like, "Why do I always go the wrong way and have to turn around on the freeway". Well who is asking the question to whom. Who is the "You" asking the other 'you' why you do such and such. If you can look at yourself, you have an observer in you, but it's not a physical beingness. So who or what is the being in you that observes what you do?
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@Billy phil,
Billy;25140 wrote:

I don't know. You tell me.
0 Replies