Gross National Happiness

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:04 am
I can't recall if I first heard the term in an article or in a news cast about Bhutan, but since then it has interested me.

Gross National Happiness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This National Geographic article helps explain the background of the concept and cultural information to help put things in perspective.
Bhutan's Enlightened Experiment - National Geographic Magazine

What seems to be the most essential aspect of GNH is the question: what makes people happy, and how do we translate this happiness to economics? Typically, happiness in economics is only recognized in how much the individual can consume. Happiness and consumption are assumed to be, generally, directly related - as consumption increases so does happiness.

Has this notion failed us? Bhutan is certainly feeling the strains of modernity, but their drug problem is a group of young men smoking marijuana. Meanwhile, everyday I face a generation of drug addicts who eat everything that comes by. As a society, we eat so many anti-depressants that they are showing up in the water.

Western society suffers from a number of illnesses. Perhaps reconsidering our economic priorities would help ameliorate some of our troubles.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,086 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:36 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Interesting post and concept.

I find it quite telling that someone's trying to correlate economic development and happiness. You're quite right; this is another concept that is predicated on the idea that someone's happiness is dependent (or at least greatly influenced by) consumption.

While I'd agree that the general 'health' of a people could be loosely dependent on their economic or material interchange, to try and link this to the concept of happiness shows one thing: Many are still focused on a disproportionately-high valuation of material and monetary considerations in their perception of what is human happiness.

I suppose its not surprising - many human collections place too much emphasis on "stuff". But consumption and wealth are, in my opinion, elements that give an injection of titillation or excitement - not happiness. I believe the quest for happiness, for any large collection of people, depends on elements that have almost nothing to do with economics and more to do with the values, morals, sense of community, family, compassion, etc.

Consumption is the perfect word for this materialistic crazy-train we're on. It eats itself, requires constant injection and leads to dissatisfied people with a warped sense of life priorities.

Could such a thing, in philosophical terms, be measured? Perhaps, but not by "stuff" or money.

Good post - good issue. Thanks
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 10:15 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Gross National Happiness is a far better measure of the conditions of a society rather than the Gross National Product. The latter considers car wrecks, hurricanes, war, and collecting useless junk to be good for the economy, without regards to the consequences because of these things (e.g. pollution should have a negative impact, but according to GNP it does not). While I agree that the GNH is highly subjective, I think that to fully get a feel for a society it must be measured from within. It would probably be rather hard to measure the GNH accurately, but it would allow for us to understand how to grow into a better society.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:20 pm
@Theaetetus,
Khethil wrote:

I find it quite telling that someone's trying to correlate economic development and happiness. You're quite right; this is another concept that is predicated on the idea that someone's happiness is dependent (or at least greatly influenced by) consumption.

Are you saying that GNH is predicated on the idea that happiness is dependent on consumption? Well, first, happiness is dependent on consumption. It's terribly difficult to be happy without food.

GNH, unlike most standards, takes another step by suggesting that consumption is not the only factor to consider, that material and spiritual should develop together and compliment one another.

Khethil wrote:
While I'd agree that the general 'health' of a people could be loosely dependent on their economic or material interchange, to try and link this to the concept of happiness shows one thing: Many are still focused on a disproportionately-high valuation of material and monetary considerations in their perception of what is human happiness.

But economics does influence happiness. Material interchange influences happiness. GNH philosophy suggests that that interchange, which will occur, should be managed in such a way (by good government) that fortifies spiritual growth by ensuring sustainable and equitable socio-economic development, by reinforcing cultural values, and conserving the natural environment.

Khethil wrote:
I suppose its not surprising - many human collections place too much emphasis on "stuff". But consumption and wealth are, in my opinion, elements that give an injection of titillation or excitement - not happiness. I believe the quest for happiness, for any large collection of people, depends on elements that have almost nothing to do with economics and more to do with the values, morals, sense of community, family, compassion, etc.

I think it is when we consider large collections of people that economics plays a significant role in the pursuit of happiness. Even on a personal level, the Buddhist have what they call right livelihood - which is, essentially, that one's personal economics are sound and morally upright. Humans need things to live, like food and shelter, which necessitate economics. There is no community or family when there is no food, and compassion also falters when there is not enough to go around; shortage often brings out our nastier animal elements.

Khethil wrote:
Consumption is the perfect word for this materialistic crazy-train we're on. It eats itself, requires constant injection and leads to dissatisfied people with a warped sense of life priorities.

Yes, I think you are absolutely right.

Khethil wrote:
Could such a thing, in philosophical terms, be measured? Perhaps, but not by "stuff" or money.

Measures are certainly difficult, and I think Theaetetus is right when he says that GNH is something that has to be measured "from within" the society in question. But money and stuff is not the only measure the GNH looks at - GNH also considers equality, the state of the environment, and the state of traditional cultural values. Those three things go beyond how much money or stuff one has by considering how much money and stuff the neighbor has, and how the aquisition of this money and stuff influences the rest of society.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:46 am
I would like to see beautiful scenery all of the time.
0 Replies