Suicide

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:35 pm
I've looked around a bit on here, and it seems that there are folks who definately believe in God and those who definately don't (along with all the others Smile ) So I was wondering what some thoughts are on the subject of suicide. And I'm just going to leave it at that. Any/All thoughts welcome Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,151 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:45 am
@elizabeth phil,
In what aspect?
0 Replies

l0ck

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:10 pm
@elizabeth phil,
suicide is ultimately death (as im sure u already know =P)
but i doubt thats what you wanted us to talk about
in a finite magnitude such as this there is a natural law that states we must die
but theres always different ways to look at it and maybe thats the point of it
from paradigm to paradigm death is looked at differently
in some forms of logic it confuses us because suicide is self inflicted death
and all of us have never decided to kill ourselves and usually because we enjoy our lives and have no proof of what happens after we die
how then can we make the decision to commit suicide reasonably?
how can one be so confident is what i usually ask myself
but i don't think its a matter of confidence in the eyes of a suicide, i think most of the time they just don't want to live this life anymore.. but really who knows? each reason could very well be and probably is a different one in the minds of each suicide
to me the absolute must express all
even these horrible expressions
suicide too then has a purpose
it is a quality of the absolute just like everything else
it encourages all types of thoughts in other observers
not that i encourage it or promote it or anything like that
its just what suicides do to me
in my reality they make me think
and that in essence is purpose to me
boagie

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:21 pm
@l0ck,
The one action in this life that you will not regret!:eek:
Fido

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:56 pm
@elizabeth phil,
elizabeth wrote:
I've looked around a bit on here, and it seems that there are folks who definately believe in God and those who definately don't (along with all the others Smile ) So I was wondering what some thoughts are on the subject of suicide. And I'm just going to leave it at that. Any/All thoughts welcome Smile

First, dont do it.

Second, It is a sort of logical contradiction. It means proving you have will by denying the life given to you by will, which is the force of life, all life. It is an attempt to give life meaning by an act that deprives meaning of life. It is a crime which is its punishment, like paricide or abortion, a futile hastening of fate, and a hurrying of the inevitable. It is the free expression of the pain of self hatred and the ultimate expression of individualism.

Third. It is preferable to murder of any other sort.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:58 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
The one action in this life that you will not regret!:eek:

Wadyamean? I've never done it and I already regret it.
boagie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 10:26 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Wadyamean? I've never done it and I already regret it.

Fido,Smile

The frightening thing to ponder is, that which you call self, the suffering of the self in no matter who it is, is the self, so if the self in one, is the self in all, suicide is an act of futility.

"Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing." Billy Shakespeare Sad
Fido

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:37 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Fido,Smile

The frightening thing to ponder is, that which you call self, the suffering of the self in no matter who it is, is the self, so if the self in one, is the self in all, suicide is an act of futility.

"Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing." Billy Shakespeare Sad

One of those French existential philosophers began a book by talking about suicide, and it has been years, and it might take years more to find it; but it seems like he was pointing it out as both an assertion of self and a denial of self. Yet, it is not as bad a paricide, which is a denial of the basis of ones whole existence. It seems rather an act of hoplessness than of futility, and if anything points out the failure of modern society it is suicide because suicide shows how empty of meaning we are, and how often we live on manufactured hope, and how often we go through the motions of our lives having forgotten why we are doing it, face to face with our vanity, our cruelty, and our insignificance. There are as many actual reasons for suicide as there are suicides. Life has never been easy, and the fact is -that modern life forces us to live disconnected, and unsupported as no other generations have.

We are reaching the zeneth of individualism, but individualism is without context or meaning. Is it all about personal fulfilment? Is it all about hedonistic pleasures? Is it all about each being a hero in triumph over others? To read about American Indian societies, which were societies in the fullest sense, though never written of when not under a great deal of stress, is to see that these stressed out societies were not free of suicide, homicide, jeolousies and rivalries. There was never a noble savage. But why should we know suicide, and homicide? Can we not do better than primitives suffing the consequences of invasion? Technology and progress should give people hope, and we try to legislate the result of hope, making assisted suicide illegal -without giving to people the essentials of hope which can only be found in rewarding, meaningful relationships, which are everywhere denied to all.
Aristoddler

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:14 pm
@elizabeth phil,
Suicide is murder of self, as homicide is murder of another, and matricide is murder of a mother.
I rhymed! Smile
0 Replies

Sleepy phil

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:16 pm
@elizabeth phil,
Suicide is just the act of getting off the train of life, nothing more nothing less.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 03:45 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
One of those French existential philosophers began a book by talking about suicide, and it has been years, and it might take years more to find it; but it seems like he was pointing it out as both an assertion of self and a denial of self.
I think you are talking about the Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus.

His central answer to the question of "why not commit suicide" is that if one can imagine Sisyphus content in his absurd and never-ending task then one can handle all life has to throw at you.
Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 04:59 am
@Sleepy phil,
Sleepy wrote:
Suicide is just the act of getting off the train of life, nothing more nothing less.

Suicide is one thing more and nothing more...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 05:26 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
I think you are talking about the Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus.

His central answer to the question of "why not commit suicide" is that if one can imagine Sisyphus content in his absurd and never-ending task then one can handle all life has to throw at you.

It has been a long time, but there was something more to it as I remember it, and admittedly I may have been reading more into it of the ultimate act of self denial being an act of self actualization, or realization... Compare it to paricide, the ultimate crime to the Greeks of denying life to those who gave one life...How does one justify ones own existence after such and act??? For everyone meaning is easier to find when it is being challenged.....As a working man I know the thought never crossed the mind of Sisyphus...Those who need not and have all including too much time are in danger... They see the pain of others and it reminds them of their own pain, but their pain is all the more painful since it so immediate and in the mind... Those diverted by the needs of the body have the diversion of thought, as strategy, and the physical pains of their existence...How many times do we look at people in life, and say: I wouldn't want to live like that; but when we get there we do not stop living, but carry on, trying to work our way through, even to not discourage others...Life at its best or worst takes courage, not to deny the courage of the suicide in facing death...

What ever else you can say of the Yahoos, less than noble, but entirely human, and all the more tragic because they are responsible for so much of their own suffering; at least, were not without courage... I hope I get out of this world without killing anyone...It is the one commandment I have not willingly broken... But rather than kill self, I suppose I could neutralize a few without too much guilt...Yet, just as we should have courage we should have hope for our fellows, that they will see the wrong they do and correct their behavior.....
0 Replies