Which religions will last in their current forms?

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 11:43 pm
Simple question. Which of the current crop of world religions will be around in a recognisable form in 1000 years time from now, and what features of them do you think contribute to their durability?

Or if you prefer, what characteristics of specific current religions do you think will contribute to their demise?

Regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 813 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dduck

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:51 am
I think your poll is a bit lame, as you can only vote for one religion at a time.

Plus, I reckon all the mayor religion are going to last a few thousand years longer. What might be a more interesting question is: Do you think that humanity will evolve such that religion becomes generally regarded with the same disdain as superstition?

Iain
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 06:31 am
dduck wrote:
I think your poll is a bit lame, as you can only vote for one religion at a time.

I agree with you... we can ignore the poll but still can discuss the later part of question...

what characteristics of specific current religions do you think will contribute to their demise and vice versa ?

Regards

PS... How to remove the poll from this thread Question
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 06:34 am
Is this leading up to yet another Sikhism is the perfect religion discussion?
0 Replies

dduck

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:19 am
IDEAL Singh wrote:
what characteristics of specific current religions do you think will contribute to their demise and vice versa ?

I think that internally all religions are likely to sustain themselves ad infinitum. What I'm considering is the outside influence of science: as mankind discovers, explores the universe we'll reach a point where the concept, need, or purpose (in relation to our day-to-day lives) of a diety becomes empty and worthless.

Iain
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:31 am
dduck- We are of one mind on this issue. I was just about to write practically the same thing!
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:17 am
cavfancier wrote:
Is this leading up to yet another Sikhism is the perfect religion discussion?

Have I ever said that Sikhism is the perfect Religion...? Just quote where I have made this claim... ? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:11 am
I'm hoping that agnosticism eventually becomes the dominant philosophical perspective on questions of Ultimate Reality.

I doubt, however, that any of the major religions will "go out of business" so to speak.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:28 am
Catholicism won't change at all, if the current Pope has anything to say about it...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:29 am
IDEAL Singh, you are correct. You have never actually claimed that Sikhism is the perfect religion. I chose my words unwisely. I am not certain what "Christainity" is, but I did get a laugh. No Jews in 3000 A.D.?
0 Replies